5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03 Max, seat moved all the way back, can't get to the rear seat mounts, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

03 Max, seat moved all the way back, can't get to the rear seat mounts, any ideas?

Tried tapping the motor, tried pushing on the seat while pushing on the button, tried to get off the little plastic things that cover the rear seat mounts. Any ideas? Trying to see what the problem is before I drop ~$250 on the seat fix kit.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM

Did you check to make sure the seat is plugged in? There are 3 or 4 plugs for the seat. One may have come loose
Old 02-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried fidgeting with the wires a bit but other than that I can't seem to get a good luck from the front or back, do you know roughly where the plugs are??
Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by embracedsword
I tried fidgeting with the wires a bit but other than that I can't seem to get a good luck from the front or back, do you know roughly where the plugs are??
Yeah I recently had the same problem and thought my seat was dead. So I reached under it and found the main harness was unplugged, usually u can see it more towards the front to tell if everything is plugged in or not.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will have to check in the morning as it is freezing cold tonight, however, it probably won't be that as I hear the relay click when I push the button to move it forward, and I hear this ticking(?) noise as the seat fails to move. There was also a hint of life when I tried pushing on the seat at the same time as pushing the button, but I am pretty desperate to get this thing moving.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:07 PM

If you have a probe tester you can give the motor direct power to move back and foward.

Last edited by tech2000; 02-10-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sadly, I do not have a probe tester, this is my first car and I only have a set of basic tools
Old 02-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I did some searching and wanted to update the post so anyone in the future can see the solution I have come up with, it turns out there are a couple 10mm bolts near the front of the underseat (check the nissan tsb on the seat not moving forward or backwards), you have to go by feel but once you loosen them you should be able to move the chair forward and back freely.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by embracedsword
So I did some searching and wanted to update the post so anyone in the future can see the solution I have come up with, it turns out there are a couple 10mm bolts near the front of the underseat (check the nissan tsb on the seat not moving forward or backwards), you have to go by feel but once you loosen them you should be able to move the chair forward and back freely.
That's some nice info i didn't even know about that.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup, I was about to pony up the $600~ to get a mechanic to fix the motor for me , did some last minute searching and saw a little piece of information that was useful ( and could have been included in the TSB, hate that they just assume that the motor moves after tapping it) It's included in this post https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...eat-motor.html 11 years ago where he just casually mentions "Step 1: If the seat is in a position where you cant get access to the bolts do the following:

From the back seat floor look under your driver seat. You will see (or feel) two screw shafts going from the front to back. About 1/3 of the way back from the front you will see a 10mm bolt on each side."
Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 PM

I was pissed when i realised i could not sit in my seat. it moved foward towards the steering wheel and it was freezing outside.