5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is this normal wear on the magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:28 AM

Is this normal wear on the magnet?

Truth be told I knew next to nothing about transmissions, so I'm hoping some of you may be able to spill more knowledge on the subject.

As the question states: Does this look normal on the Tranny pan Magnet?

My Symptoms:
- 1-2 slip (Very Rare and Very unnoticeable but me like all you guys pay attention to detail on just about everything on the car)
- 2-3 slip. Like many other orgers this happens after the car is warmed up.

History:
So, I've never had this tranny oil pan dropped since I've owned the car in the year I've had it.. I also don't think it's been dropped since the life of the car.. Yesterday I went to a transmission shop to get the Transgo HD2 kit installed, but the mechanic backed out after he dropped the pan and saw the metal on the magnet (What he called a "Mushroom").
The car has 152k miles, I don't drive it hard frequently but I do at times. The slip actually didn't start until the beginning of this year.

Do you think the transmission can make it any further? Is it worth it to put an HD-2 in it? Plus solenoids?
Attached Thumbnails Is this normal wear on the magnet?-2755.jpg   Is this normal wear on the magnet?-2754.jpg  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Itz Shak
Truth be told I knew next to nothing about transmissions, so I'm hoping some of you may be able to spill more knowledge on the subject.

As the question states: Does this look normal on the Tranny pan Magnet?

My Symptoms:
- 1-2 slip (Very Rare and Very unnoticeable but me like all you guys pay attention to detail on just about everything on the car)
- 2-3 slip. Like many other orgers this happens after the car is warmed up.

History:
So, I've never had this tranny oil pan dropped since I've owned the car in the year I've had it.. I also don't think it's been dropped since the life of the car.. Yesterday I went to a transmission shop to get the Transgo HD2 kit installed, but the mechanic backed out after he dropped the pan and saw the metal on the magnet (What he called a "Mushroom").
The car has 152k miles, I don't drive it hard frequently but I do at times. The slip actually didn't start until the beginning of this year.

Do you think the transmission can make it any further? Is it worth it to put an HD-2 in it? Plus solenoids?
Looks normal for no maintenance LOL
Old 02-18-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Looks normal for no maintenance LOL
Lol, keep going. I know you've got more input Korn
Old 02-18-2017, 01:19 PM

From the pic, the fluid and the mushroom cloud around the magnet indicate a pretty significant amount of wear. The mushroom cloud are debree from the internal parts of the tranny. If I were you, I'd try to rescue the tranny by cleaning out the pan and magnets, installing new gasket, buttoning up, draining and refilling at least 3 to 4 times with Nissanmatic or Valvoline high mileage synthetic, and then adding in a bottle or two of Lucas Oil trans fix or Lubegaurd Red (be sure to adhere to the fluid level on the dipstick). If it doesn't get any better, then I'd look to have the tranny rebuilt and install your shift kit and solenoids. In my experience with multiple Nissan Maximas / I30s, I've been able to save 4 tranny's (97SE, 97I30, 03SE, 02GLE) with Lucas Oil, please note that I did lose the tranny on an old 92SE as it was too far gone!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
From the pic, the fluid and the mushroom cloud around the magnet indicate a pretty significant amount of wear. The mushroom cloud are debree from the internal parts of the tranny. If I were you, I'd try to rescue the tranny by cleaning out the pan and magnets, installing new gasket, buttoning up, draining and refilling at least 3 to 4 times with Nissanmatic or Valvoline high mileage synthetic, and then adding in a bottle or two of Lucas Oil trans fix or Lubegaurd Red (be sure to adhere to the fluid level on the dipstick). If it doesn't get any better, then I'd look to have the tranny rebuilt and install your shift kit and solenoids. In my experience with multiple Nissan Maximas / I30s, I've been able to save 4 tranny's (97SE, 97I30, 03SE, 02GLE) with Lucas Oil, please note that I did lose the tranny on an old 92SE as it was too far gone!
Thank you for the input
Old 02-18-2017, 02:51 PM

I would install the Transgo kit as well. How much does your shop charge to install the kit? Firmer shifting might buy another 50K on the tranny. You just won't know until you try it.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:30 PM

I wouldn't fret about it. that happened to me when I dropped the pan to change the filter and new gasket, I did not know there was a magnet that gets the metal particles. I cleaned it up and the pan before reinstalling it. I asked trans shop and told me that is normal wear for particles to collect on the magnet. Transmission can go for a long time with proper maintenance intervals. However things internal do wear out over time.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:54 PM

Awesome, thanks for all your input fellas. I'm gonna give it a shot and get back to you guys
Old 02-18-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
^^^^ Very good advice!