5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how to fit an unfit pulley on AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:47 PM

how to fit an unfit pulley on AC compressor

Well, I'm more likely to post this for questioning if this is safe to do so.

My AC compressor pulley was suffering from a broken bearing. I took the pulley off but couldn't find a way to knock the bearing out. So I went to junkyard to look for a same model pulley.

Unluckily, I could only find a usable pulley from a 3.5L engine while my Max is a 3.0L. The pulley has an exact inner and outer diameter with the original one but when installed onto the AC compressor, it's not on the same plane with crank and alternator pulleys but slightly shifting inward. The drive belt was slightly twisted and touched side bolts, no way to run at all.

In order to align drive belt straight, I trimmed the belt by removed one side strip. Our drive belt is a 6 pks and now it's 5. It aligns well on the inner 5 tracks of crank and alternator pulleys and the outer 5 tracks of AC compressor pulley, as you can see in pics.

As I mentioned at the beginning, is it safe to do so? will this trimmed drive belt last? Thanks for any input.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Bad *** Newb

It's fine. I've seen 4 rib belts split in half and full of cracks last for thousands of miles.

Professional rigging, I approve lol