5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Noise from tranny when putting car in P

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noise from tranny when putting car in P

Old 02-24-2017, 06:42 AM

Your axle has popped out. Had the exact thing happen on another car. Same grinding noise and all.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mclasser
Your axle has popped out. Had the exact thing happen on another car. Same grinding noise and all.
Thanks bro..will check it out. The car would get a jerking racking motion every now and then when I drive. Would last until I easy off the gas. I thought It was the pass side bc I changed it and didn't get to thighten the bolts on the bracket properly.
What would cause it to pop out? Should I use back the same axle, bc I don't want it to keep happening.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mclasser

Thanks bro..will check it out. The car would get a jerking racking motion every now and then when I drive. Would last until I easy off the gas. I thought It was the pass side bc I changed it and didn't get to thighten the bolts on the bracket properly.
What would cause it to pop out? Should I use back the same axle, bc I don't want it to keep happening.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 AM

If that axle hasn't been changed recently, my guess is that the retaining clip on the axle shaft in the differential has some how allowed the axle to come out of the gear or it fell off.

You will have to pull the axle all the way out and inspect the end. Hopefully the clip is still on the axle. If the splines are damaged, you will have to replace it.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If that axle hasn't been changed recently, my guess is that the retaining clip on the axle shaft in the differential has some how allowed the axle to come out of the gear or it fell off.

You will have to pull the axle all the way out and inspect the end. Hopefully the clip is still on the axle. If the splines are damaged, you will have to replace it.
OK thanks for the info. Will check it this wknd. My guess is the axle ha's been in there for a while, I've had for about 6-7 yes now and only changed the pass side.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Dennis, need a quick response. I'm installing the axle, got 1 from the junk yard.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Go ahead and install that axle. The groove that the snap ring sits in looks normal to me. If the other axle has a wider groove, I would question that.

The other piece you were asking about is a splash shield to keep water, dirt, etc from hitting the seal in the differential case. The splash shield should not touch the differential case or the axle shield. It sits maybe a quarter inch out from the differential case.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Go ahead and install that axle. The groove that the snap ring sits in looks normal to me. If the other axle has a wider groove, I would question that.

The other piece you were asking about is a splash shield to keep water, dirt, etc from hitting the seal in the differential case. The splash shield should not touch the differential case or the axle shield. It sits maybe a quarter inch out from the differential case.

Yea I went ahead and did it. I was referring to the snap ring itself, mine was wider than the one that's on. And the splines on the tip of the shaft was kinda damage, but I guess those are only there to guide the axle in.
I'm rolling again almost..got to change tie rods now then tranny fluid and oil. One thing I did notice is when I go into R it's kinda rough like car would noticeably shake and make a "goonk" (lol) noise. all others gears are smooth. Maybe needs fluid?, but the others are smooth shifting, . Come to think of it, a while back i notice 1 of the axle nut was loose (probably was the 1 was working on, cant remb) and i just tightened it w/of thinking anything of it. Im going to get some loctite and put on both sides now lol.
Thanks for your help bro

Last edited by Alffie; 02-26-2017 at 10:17 PM.