5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension and Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 AM

Suspension and Exhaust Options

Hey guys,

I'm not new to the 5.5 but I recently picked up a one owner 6spd with 74k miles on it. I'm moving from a 2016 Camry to a 2003 Maxima so obviously the ride is going to feel sloppy.

I daily the car so I'm looking at OEM replacements on shocks/struts and likely a RSB. I'm considering KYB GR2s all around, and a Progress RSB if I can find one.

Also, when I was part of this forum 10 years ago, Cattman was a reputable exhaust system, but from what I've read, he has closed up shop. I'm looking for a catback setup.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:36 PM

Go KYB they are good, I have them replaced my OEM to KYB a year ago, after having the car for 16 years since new. time to refresh my suspension components back to new condition due to rubber seal drying out and bushing and etc...
Old 02-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Go KYB they are good, I have them replaced my OEM to KYB a year ago, after having the car for 16 years since new. time to refresh my suspension components back to new condition due to rubber seal drying out and bushing and etc...
Was there a noticeable difference in ride quality only after the KYBs? If so, was it overall ride quality, corners etc?

Also, how many miles did you have before your replaced with KYBs?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by nk2k
Was there a noticeable difference in ride quality only after the KYBs? If so, was it overall ride quality, corners etc?

Also, how many miles did you have before your replaced with KYBs?
Not FantasticMadMax, but I had 503k km when I replaced the originals with KYBs that had 48k km. Ride quality is night and day, but not too soft for my liking. Just perfect. I don't think that you can make the 03 maxima as soft as the 16' camry as those are meant to be as soft as they can be for the price. I believe someone said that the Monroe All in Ones are the softest you can get for the maxima.

Last edited by flames101sully; 02-26-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:53 PM

I replaced mine at 81k miles since it was old typically manufacture recommend at 60k miles. When I replaced it, wanted to keep close as the OEM since mine is the SE trim, so figured KYB would be the way to go. They were pretty stiff at first, but now I'm rolling at 4k miles with those and kept the car tight as it turns and corner pretty well.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
I replaced mine at 81k miles since it was old typically manufacture recommend at 60k miles. When I replaced it, wanted to keep close as the OEM since mine is the SE trim, so figured KYB would be the way to go. They were pretty stiff at first, but now I'm rolling at 4k miles with those and kept the car tight as it turns and corner pretty well.
That's what I hoping to hear. I don't want soft. I want a firm feel overall and have flatness going through turns. Mostly what I notice now, even with 74k miles, is how spongy it feels. It almost feels like a Buick lol. I want firm, sporty but maintain OEM height due to it being a daily and roads around here being awful.

Did you replace the top hats too? I'm trying to decide if that is needed or not.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:46 PM

Tokico blues are another oem replacement strut. I have them + eibach springs. Very good for a daily & not too low at all. 1.3"/1.0" drop.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:31 PM

I did KYB GR-2 on stock springs at 125k miles to replace the originals. I am very happy with the results.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE
I did KYB GR-2 on stock springs at 125k miles to replace the originals. I am very happy with the results.
Did you have to replace the top hats too or did you swap them from the factory ones?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:21 AM

Did you have to replace the top hats too or did you swap them from the factory ones?
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you don't need to replace them unless they are worn. If current ones are in good condition, then they will work.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 AM

I did my rear struts a week or two ago. You'll probably need new boots, mine were toast. My top hats were really rusty too @ 197,000 km in southern Ontario. (Salty). I reused them but the rubber isolaters were falling off.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Awesome, guys! Thanks for the info. I figured it would've a better option to replace them but I didn't want to spend the money if I didn't have to.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I bought a 5.5 Max with Tein springs which the owner said makes the ride lower by 1-1.5", and stock struts. The roads in the city are rough so I was looking at going back to OEM springs. Would OEM springs that increase the ride to stock height make the car absorb bumps a tiny bit better and make it ride smoother?
Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 PM

I did replace all of the isolators while it was apart. The cost was minimal and it made no sense to reinstall the original stuff.