5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car making 5 different noises!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car making 5 different noises!

Hey guys,

I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima. Less than 140k Miles on it. Never ever had a problem with it. Always change oil on time. I baby it when I drive it. I live in a city with arguable the worst roads ever lots of pot holes and bumps that I can't avoid. Something to keep in mind possibly. Excuse the noobness I'm a little clueless about cars but learning and enjoying the experience of diagnosing issues

Problem: about a week ago I started noticing my car made a super weird grinding and whining noise when I turned the wheel (turning left only). Then it got worse and worse. It started making the same noise whenever I'd turn the wheel either way. Next, I started getting periodic spongy brakes. I also noticed my (engine?) begins to work overdrive for about 30-60 seconds when I'm stationary and then goes back to normal. I've also noticed that the car is cooling down very slowly and gets hot quickly. It seems like each day a new issue arises so I'm done driving it until it's fixed. Also, today, this one time I touched the brake, I heard a boom loud type of noise from the front of the car and could feel it under my feet as could the passenger. Scary feeling. The noises usually disappear or are obsolete at higher freeway speeds but brakes give out more on freeway.

My amateur inspection:
First thing, I noticed that I was below the Low on steering fluid. I added that today but I feel like the noises are even worse or the same. So, that's not the issue. Brake pads seem fine no noises or visible sight of being worn down. I did notice my oil levels were a little lower than normally but doesn't smell burnt. Brake fluid normal level. Water normal level.

At first I thought, must be the master cylinder because the breaks are giving out and weird noises coming from the car. Now, I'm a little worried it might be something bigger that's causing multiple areas of issue. I was thinking maybe there's a leak or pressure issue going on but I'm not sure as I have no idea how to check these things nor can I prop up my car. I want to take my car in to a shop today to have it inspected then maybe a second opinion after if it's something really expensive but I wanted to get your guys' opinion first on what things I should expect to hear from auto repair shops.

I should probably note I also have a lose abs sensor wire driver side wheel. I had my dad put it back on but it keeps falling off for whatever reason. Don't think that matters but thought I'd throw that in.

Appreciate all the assistance in advance!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

In short:

spongy brake

car makes grinding noise when turning left or right (louder turning left)

above 20mph car makes whooshing sound like mixing oil with a wooden spoon in a bowl
Old 03-16-2017, 08:53 AM

The grinding noise when turning is probably a bad CV joint in one of (maybe both?) the axles.

The engine temperature fluctuation is probably low engine coolant level. When the engine is cold and not running, remove the radiator cap and look inside the tank. It should be completely full to the top.

The spongy brakes may be that you have air in the brake lines or a bad master cylinder. Get a professional to check this out.

Not much info on the 20 mph noise, so I wonder if this is a bad wheel bearing.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:08 PM

When my pads on the front started to go out, they would make a grinding noise when turning, eventually it got to the point where it would always grind.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:55 PM

grinding noise - when only turning is typically a cv joint
grinding noise - all of the time is typically a bearing
engine fluctuation could simple be your AC compressor kicking on and off.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Check your coolant,If the vehicle is idling odd occasionally and it's getting hotter than usual then the Idle air control valve may be slurping coolant down the intake. Axles will "pop" more than grind, mine are popping as we speak. The dust shields have a can rot out and lean on the rotors to make a scraping noise when turning. My dust shields were GONE and what was left was leaning on the rotor.