5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is the new G35 the first steps for the new Max?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 02:15 PM

Is the new G35 the first steps for the new Max?

When I look at the specs from www.infiniti.com site about the G35, I can't keep myself about dreaming of a not too distant future....

A MAX with the same size, weigth, length, bigger interior room, rear axle, 260hp, drag of 0.27, 17" wheels, HID.... WOW... am I only dreaming?

Can the next generation of the Max be build on that platform?

Old 01-31-2002, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Is the new G35 the first steps for the new Max?

Originally posted by Jief
When I look at the specs from www.infiniti.com site about the G35, I can't keep myself about dreaming of a not too distant future....

A MAX with the same size, weigth, length, bigger interior room, rear axle, 260hp, drag of 0.27, 17" wheels, HID.... WOW... am I only dreaming?

Why not just buy the G35
Old 01-31-2002, 02:20 PM

Re: Re: Is the new G35 the first steps for the new Max?

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Why not just buy the G35
Im going to buy one. Or more like my fiance and I will hoard it, in the meantime she can drive my max. Hhahahah
Old 01-31-2002, 02:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Is the new G35 the first steps for the new Max?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Im going to buy one. Or more like my fiance and I will hoard it, in the meantime she can drive my max. Hhahahah
I think its on the top of my list to trade the AE in for...I am certainly waiting to see the final word on the 6-speed...I am not buying an auto. Plus, since I know I'm taking a bath, I plan to get my money out of the Maxima before trading it in. I'll own the paper by the end of the year and then I'll be in a better mood to trade. I'm still not so sure it will happen then...I suppose it depends on how much I love my Max.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:26 PM

Why not just buy the G35
My leasing is ending only in august 2003... Hope the new max will be available.....
Old 01-31-2002, 02:28 PM

My leasing is ending only in august 2003... Hope the new max will be available.....
Yeah, but you could always just pick up the G35 at that point is what I'm saying...even if the new Max doesn't end up as you are hoping.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:41 PM

Why not just buy the G35
Probably same reason we didn't buy I35s!
Old 01-31-2002, 03:44 PM

In a word NO....The 6th Gen Maxima is set to go into assembly in January '03 (will probably go on sale in mid-'03 as an '04 model) and will be based off of the Altima platform. Rumors abound that it might have a V8 (I doubt that) and all wheel drive (more likely). I would also look for it to have the same horsepower as the 350Z, or close to it.

Infiniti is trying to distance itself from Nissan clone products. I doubt that you will be seeing anything like the I30/I35 and (the rediculously overpriced) QX4 blatantly based off of Nissan products.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Probably same reason we didn't buy I35s!
The I35 and 2K2 ARE based on the same platform...Jief was referring to the new G35 platform...My point was really more along the lines of, if you want the G35 platform and the Maxima doesn't go there...just buy the G35. Why worry about whether or not the Maxima ends up on that platform when you already know the G35 is coming.

If you want the features of the I35, well...the Maxima is already based on that platform so you can buy it today as a Maxima or an I35. As for me, I still base the decision on the manual transmission...which was the only reason I didn't buy an I30 (no I35 at that point).
Old 01-31-2002, 04:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the new G35 the first steps for the new Max?

The I35 and 2K2 ARE based on the same platform...Jief was referring to the new G35 platform...My point was really more along the lines of, if you want the G35 platform and the Maxima doesn't go there...just buy the G35. Why worry about whether or not the Maxima ends up on that platform when you already know the G35 is coming.

If you want the features of the I35, well...the Maxima is already based on that platform so you can buy it today as a Maxima or an I35. As for me, I still base the decision on the manual transmission...which was the only reason I didn't buy an I30 (no I35 at that point).
But could the G35 platform be the one Nissan will use for the next gen of max?
Old 01-31-2002, 04:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the new G35 the first steps for the new Max?

But could the G35 platform be the one Nissan will use for the next gen of max?
Maybe, but I think unlikely since Nissan has already announced that the next Max will be US produced and I don't believe the G35 will be the same...not sure.

My point was...if it isn't...buy a G35. The price is targeted at around $30K...same price range I'd expect an '03 Maxima to be in.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:06 PM

I thought the g35 was more the size of the 3-series...
Old 01-31-2002, 10:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the new G35 the first steps for the new Max?

Maybe, but I think unlikely since Nissan has already announced that the next Max will be US produced and I don't believe the G35 will be the same...not sure.

My point was...if it isn't...buy a G35. The price is targeted at around $30K...same price range I'd expect an '03 Maxima to be in.
The next Generation Max's first model year is going to be '04 not '03. It should, however, go on sale sometime from March to July '03.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:16 PM
EZ

Originally posted by xydavid

I thought the g35 was more the size of the 3-series...
G35 is actually like a 5 series bimmer.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:33 AM

The most recent AutoWeek magazine I got raved about how the new G35 drives. They said the handling is nothing short of amazing. It also mentioned some info about the 6 speed manual and that it will be available on the car in it's second model year just like Lexus did with the IS300. This is per a Nissan Product Designer. It also said the 6 speed will be the one out of the 350Z and not the Maxima. The Nissan guy said they targeted the Honda S2000 when developing the 6-speed for the 350Z/G35 and that it will be as slick and smooth as that transmission as they consider that the the benchmark on the market.

I would assume that would mean model year 2004 and would put it on the market about August 2003. That is one year after my lease on my '00 Max SE expires and I don't know what I will do. I really would love a 6 speed G35!
Old 02-01-2002, 08:43 AM

My point was that if in fact the max was going to be built on the G35 platform (as he was suggesting), many would choose the max over the G35 because of price. That is the reason that MOST of the maxima buyers chose the max over the I35/I30. That is also the reason why we would wonder whether the max ends up on the G35 platform.

Personally, the additional features of the I30 did nothing for me - and I also preferred the 5spd. Add to that the fact that I could negotiate a FAR better deal on the max, buying an I30 - IMO - was a waste of money (although I can afford it).
Old 02-01-2002, 08:47 AM

The lastest issue of Motortrend's future model forcast mentions the Max will be on the Altima platform (as we already know) and will have HP matching whatever the 350Z has. The Article states the I35 will get bigger and will come with RWD and a V8 to compete against the E class. If this i s true than the Max will stay V6 and the rumured V8 max will actually be the I35, and once and for all these 2 cars will be different from each other.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
My point was that if in fact the max was going to be built on the G35 platform (as he was suggesting), many would choose the max over the G35 because of price. That is the reason that MOST of the maxima buyers chose the max over the I35/I30. That is also the reason why we would wonder whether the max ends up on the G35 platform.

Personally, the additional features of the I30 did nothing for me - and I also preferred the 5spd. Add to that the fact that I could negotiate a FAR better deal on the max, buying an I30 - IMO - was a waste of money (although I can afford it).
Okay...I think we're on the same page. My points were soley based on the idea that the Maxima would never be based on the G35 platform...hence the "just buy a G35" comment. As far as the I30/Maxima choice...its just gotta be a manual tranny for me.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:11 PM

I was told by the dealer yesterday that the new Max will be replaced by the Altima, and that Nissan is coming out with a rear wheel drive V8 that will be an entirely new car for them. Supposed to be fast. Seeing that the new Altima is pretty much the same size as the current Max, that might make some sense.

Originally posted by warrlocked

In a word NO....The 6th Gen Maxima is set to go into assembly in January '03 (will probably go on sale in mid-'03 as an '04 model) and will be based off of the Altima platform. Rumors abound that it might have a V8 (I doubt that) and all wheel drive (more likely). I would also look for it to have the same horsepower as the 350Z, or close to it.

Infiniti is trying to distance itself from Nissan clone products. I doubt that you will be seeing anything like the I30/I35 and (the rediculously overpriced) QX4 blatantly based off of Nissan products.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A rear wheel drive V8 is Q45, right ?
Old 02-01-2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by bimmersnomore
I was told by the dealer yesterday that the new Max will be replaced by the Altima, and that Nissan is coming out with a rear wheel drive V8 that will be an entirely new car for them. Supposed to be fast. Seeing that the new Altima is pretty much the same size as the current Max, that might make some sense.

The dealer was wrong. It has been established time and time again that the '04 Maxima will be all new, built in the US, and based off of the '02 Altima platform. It will more than likely have AWD at least as an option. The Altima platform as it stands now is already built to take on an AWD setup.

To some extent the Altima will be replacing the Maxima. The next Maxima should be Toyota Avalon size (full size) and that is too big for me...or most of the other people in this forum.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:01 PM
EZ

Originally posted by warrlocked

The dealer was wrong. It has been established time and time again that the '04 Maxima will be all new, built in the US, and based off of the '02 Altima platform. It will more than likely have AWD at least as an option. The Altima platform as it stands now is already built to take on an AWD setup.

To some extent the Altima will be replacing the Maxima. The next Maxima should be Toyota Avalon size (full size) and that is too big for me...or most of the other people in this forum.
I was disappointed when the Max became bigger in 2k. I'm looking at the G35 because of its medium size. I don't know why the h*ll all the midsize sedans are getting bigger!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by EZ

I was disappointed when the Max became bigger in 2k. I'm looking at the G35 because of its medium size. I don't know why the h*ll all the midsize sedans are getting bigger!
I appreciated the somewhat smaller size of my '97 Max as well. My 2k Max is the largest car I plan to ever own.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by EZ

Midsize sedans are getting bigger because north-american drivers are getting bigger. Think of a 275 poinds, 6'5' guy trying to fit in a Firefly !!!!