5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Erratic Rattling Noise from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Erratic Rattling Noise from Engine

When I started my car (2002 Maxima) yesterday, it immediately made this horrible, loud and erratic rattling noise like something was getting kicked around in the engine. There's really no rhythm to it, and it doesn't seem to change with the rpm.

Here's the video with sound:

After that I didn't really drive it, just backed it out of my drive to get my other vehicle out, but it was definitely limping and felt like it might stall.

This car is new to me. I've only had it ~4 months. It's at 90k miles right now. Since I've had it the only thing needed was a new MAF 1 month ago after sudden loss of power and p1102 code; worked fine after I replaced it.

When I replaced the MAF I was due for service, so I also changed the oil/filter (5w-30 Castrol GTX / K&N filter), and air filter (K&N), and I've gone about 600 miles since then.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by jdott; 03-24-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 AM

I was hoping it was a rattling sound like mine, when I'm low on oil. But no its not the same sound, it sounds as if something is knocking around in your engine, unless you did something in you engine lately, start with trying to isolate where the thud, is coming from. Start with your air box, under your air filter. Unless you find the area where the sound is coming from you'll be guessing forever.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:28 AM

Listening again I did hear some lifter chatter, also remove your filler cap while the engine is running and see if the sound is more loud, you might have something under you valve cover or in your intake. Just trying to listen for any similar sounds I might have ever had
Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 AM

I'd pull the engine cover and start listening around with a mechanics stethoscope.
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-63296.html

This will help you pinpoint the noise. It's hard to tell from a vid but I'd listen to the front valve cover first. Any chance you dropped something into the motor while filling the oil?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just had this same problem a few days ago. I thought it was something in the motor. Used a stethoscope, Turned out to be the alternator bearing was bad. Replaced the alternator and all was good.