5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Did I get ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 04:49 PM
JDB

Did I get ripped off?

I have a black 2K SE 5 speed that I bought new in March of 2000, and it only has 13,400 miles on it. So far, I haven't had any problems with the car. Then when I went to leave work 2 days ago, the car was idling rough as soon as I started it up. The check engine light flashed a couple of times on the way home, and the car seemed to be running kinda rough. But before I'd even made it all the way home, everything was back to normal and it was running just fine.

The car continued to run normally for the next day and a half, and the check engine light didn't come on anymore. Then when I went to go to lunch today, the car was idling rough when I started it up, and the check engine light was on solid. I went straight to the dealer, and they told me they'd check it out and give me a call.

The dealer said I had carbon buildup, and they needed to clean the injector rails and replace my fuel filter. They charged me $183, because they said this is only covered under warranty in the first 12,000 miles.

My car only has 13,400 miles on it, and I've only ever put Shell 93 octane in it. I've owned several brand new cars in my life, and I've NEVER had anything like this happen before. Is this normal?Almost all of my driving is in the city.

Did I get ripped off?

Thanks...

JDB

Old 01-31-2002, 05:52 PM

Someone please inform. I understood that the first three years, or 36k were covered bumper to bumper. Even though Nissan has **** service(here in TX), never had a real problem having my car serviced. I really think you got screwed.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:02 PM
Administrator

yup you did.. cleaning the throttle body is a $5 can of Fuel Injected Throttle Body Cleaner.. and changing the fuel filter is a $9 fuel filter..

you didn't even get greased up..
Old 01-31-2002, 06:04 PM
It's chrome alright...

you got screwed

I'd go back and start waving the bull**it flag in the middle of the showroom. Don't cause a scene, but make sure it's busy and there are people around and start raising your voice so the service manager gets uncomfortable that other customers are overhearing you, and your dissatisfaction with their dealership.

And always remember, if you swear or leave, you lost. If you never do either, eventually they'll make it right.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:05 PM

fishy

The explaination by the dealer seems fishy. I wonder what code was thrown from the computer. I use only Shell 92 in my 95 Max and 2000 I30 (80,000 miles and 17,000 miles) and never had a problem. I don't believe you could have that much "carbon build up" in 13,000 miles. I wonder if one of the coils are going bad? I bet the problem will occur again and when it does and they find the real problem make sure they refund you the money you paid today! Anyone else have an idea?
Old 01-31-2002, 06:05 PM

The buildup in the injectors is said to be "maintenance", and thus is NOT covered under a warranty...This is part of the reason that dealers make money-If the car was truly covered "bumper to bumper", then the dealer wouldn't make any money off a trouble free, reliable vehicle.

It sux, but that is how they play the game. As far as the $183, I think that is a tad high..I think the Dodge dealer quoted me something like $120. But I have never had them cleaned and I have 53K on my car. Go figure.

Trevor

Originally posted by rubman
Someone please inform. I understood that the first three years, or 36k were covered bumper to bumper. Even though Nissan has **** service(here in TX), never had a real problem having my car serviced. I really think you got screwed.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:29 PM
JDB

Re: fishy

Originally posted by sascuderi
The explaination by the dealer seems fishy. I wonder what code was thrown from the computer. I use only Shell 92 in my 95 Max and 2000 I30 (80,000 miles and 17,000 miles) and never had a problem. I don't believe you could have that much "carbon build up" in 13,000 miles. I wonder if one of the coils are going bad? I bet the problem will occur again and when it does and they find the real problem make sure they refund you the money you paid today! Anyone else have an idea?
The dealer said the only codes reported were for misfires...

Old 01-31-2002, 06:59 PM

dude man,

a car cannot have that much carbon build up in 13000 miles.

The codes were for misfiring, there is a TSB on bad coil.

I'm sorry, but you got ripped. Give it some time, and I'm sure your car will start showing symptoms again.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:08 PM

So this means he can't do anything about it now right? Unless the car acted up again and later the dealer found the real cause right?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Menacer
So this means he can't do anything about it now right? Unless the car acted up again and later the dealer found the real cause right?
I would print out the TSB on the coil and take it to the dealer and ask them why they didn't perform that first. Then I'd ask them how its possible for injectors to become clogged at 13000 miles in a highly advanced motor like the VQ when most mid 1980s EFI Chevys and Fords don't need it for 80k. That's utterly ridiculous and if necessary threaten legal action. BTW are you still having the same problem?

Jesse
Old 01-31-2002, 11:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yep sounds like you did~
Old 02-01-2002, 12:03 AM

Re: Did I get ripped off?

Originally posted by JDB
I have a black 2K SE 5 speed that I bought new in March of 2000, and it only has 13,400 miles on it. So far, I haven't had any problems with the car. Then when I went to leave work 2 days ago, the car was idling rough as soon as I started it up. The check engine light flashed a couple of times on the way home, and the car seemed to be running kinda rough. But before I'd even made it all the way home, everything was back to normal and it was running just fine.

The car continued to run normally for the next day and a half, and the check engine light didn't come on anymore. Then when I went to go to lunch today, the car was idling rough when I started it up, and the check engine light was on solid. I went straight to the dealer, and they told me they'd check it out and give me a call.

The dealer said I had carbon buildup, and they needed to clean the injector rails and replace my fuel filter. They charged me $183, because they said this is only covered under warranty in the first 12,000 miles.

My car only has 13,400 miles on it, and I've only ever put Shell 93 octane in it. I've owned several brand new cars in my life, and I've NEVER had anything like this happen before. Is this normal?Almost all of my driving is in the city.

Did I get ripped off?

Thanks...

JDB
Someone correct me if I am wrong...but isn't the fuel filter in the gas-tank? I was told by a service tech that the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump and is supposed to last the life of the vehicle.

If they did replace the fuel filter, and if it is in the tank, that alone would probably cost more than $183. I think they lied to you...and took your money.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:08 AM

I've only changed a few fuel filters in my life, but they've always been in the engine compartment. Don't know about the 5th gen though.

Also, if they did that work and test drove the car, and you took the car without coming right back and complaining that the problem still existed, then you're going to have trouble convincing them that they fixed the wrong thing. I'll tell you right now that if you take the TSB in there and tell them they should have checked that first, you're going to be met with a very pissy response.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Creature
I've only changed a few fuel filters in my life, but they've always been in the engine compartment. Don't know about the 5th gen though.

Also, if they did that work and test drove the car, and you took the car without coming right back and complaining that the problem still existed, then you're going to have trouble convincing them that they fixed the wrong thing. I'll tell you right now that if you take the TSB in there and tell them they should have checked that first, you're going to be met with a very pissy response.
on the 4th Gen's they were in the engine compartment
on the 5th Gen's nissan moved them to the fuel tank
Old 02-01-2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

on the 4th Gen's they were in the engine compartment
on the 5th Gen's nissan moved them to the fuel tank
I thought that was right. So, if they said that they changed the fuel filter...is that even possible? It would seem to me that just changing the fuel filter (since it is in the fuel tank) would cost more than $183. My guess is that they just said that they changed it.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:46 PM
JDB

I called Nissan's Consumer Affairs 1-800 number today. Of course the lady on the phone wasn't an engine tech, so she said I should call a different dealer for a second opinion.

I called a different dealer, and the service advisor I spoke to said she didn't think you should have to clean the injection system on a car with only 13,000 miles. She did, however, say that changing the fuel filter was recommended by Nissan at 15,000 miles, so she didn't think there was really anything wrong with that part. Anybody else had their fuel filter replaced at 15K?

Yesterday the dealer let me keep the printout from the handheld computer they used to read the engine codes. It shows P1320 and P0302. Any thoughts on those two codes? And has anyone else had to have their injectors cleaned on a 5th gen Max, regardless of mileage?

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll try to let you know what happens...

Thanks,

JDB

Old 02-01-2002, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by JDB
I called Nissan's Consumer Affairs 1-800 number today. Of course the lady on the phone wasn't an engine tech, so she said I should call a different dealer for a second opinion.

I called a different dealer, and the service advisor I spoke to said she didn't think you should have to clean the injection system on a car with only 13,000 miles. She did, however, say that changing the fuel filter was recommended by Nissan at 15,000 miles, so she didn't think there was really anything wrong with that part. Anybody else had their fuel filter replaced at 15K?

Yesterday the dealer let me keep the printout from the handheld computer they used to read the engine codes. It shows P1320 and P0302. Any thoughts on those two codes? And has anyone else had to have their injectors cleaned on a 5th gen Max, regardless of mileage?

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll try to let you know what happens...

Thanks,

JDB
Did you ask anyone about the fuel filter being in the fuel tank? It is supposed to last the life of the vehicle. Or at least, that is what I was told by a Nissan Service Tech.

Please keep us posted on this with this thread.

I would think that it would cost more than $183 just to pull off the gas tank to get to the filter and change it. Maybe not, but I would think so.

LOOK IN YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL. IT SAYS THAT THE FUEL FILTER IS A "MAINTENANCE FREE ITEM"! I found this on pages 9-6 & 9-8 of the Owner's Manual.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:52 PM

I know nothing about the fuel filter but as sprint put it they did not even grease you.From what i have read.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:57 PM

Shell Gas maybe?

I just had the same thing done to my car (it cost me $80 USD). Carbon buildup at 30000km; every now and then, my car ran rough. I initially used Shell a lot, but switched to Chevron after 10000km (my car seems to like it better). Anyway, I'm not sure if you're from Canada or if this problem is also in the US, but take a read... suffice to say, no more Shell for me... ever:

5thGen
Canada

-----

TORONTO -- Shell Canada has apologized to its customers whose vehicles were damaged by an additive in the company's gasoline.

"We extend our sincere apology for any inconvenience this problem may have caused," said Terry Blaney, Shell's vice-president of marketing.

The additive has already sparked one class-action lawsuit in British Columbia. It has also sparked criticism that Shell didn't do enough to inform consumers of the problem.

Since last fall, Shell Canada has been compensating customers over complaints that one of its additives seemed to be gumming up fuel pumps and fuel sensors.

(There's more, but I think this tells the gist of it).