5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 maxima wont turn off/start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:00 AM

02 maxima wont turn off/start

2 days ago I was driving my maxima went and parked it for about 40 minutes came back went to start it and it wouldn't turn over but I had power in the battery lights horn radio everything worked...then 1 day ago I had the same issue but once I jumped the car both times the car turned over I bought a brand new battery yesterday the car was fine went to start it this morning the car wouldn't turn over until I jumped it but my battery is brand new I put my battery in my 2009 maxima and it works fine any suggestions for why the 2002 maxima wont turn over or keep dying out?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM

When you have to jump a battery, that means it is run down, i.e., not fully charged. A battery that is discharged, but not completely, will still have enough power for the lights, horn, radio, etc to work because they do not need anywhere near as much power as the starter requires.

So why is the battery not fully charged? It is the job of the alternator to keep the battery fully charged. Have you checked the output of the alternator? Get the car started and measure the voltage at the battery. It should be around 14.3 volts. If the voltage is more like 12.5 volts, the alternator is bad.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
When you have to jump a battery, that means it is run down, i.e., not fully charged. A battery that is discharged, but not completely, will still have enough power for the lights, horn, radio, etc to work because they do not need anywhere near as much power as the starter requires.

So why is the battery not fully charged? It is the job of the alternator to keep the battery fully charged. Have you checked the output of the alternator? Get the car started and measure the voltage at the battery. It should be around 14.3 volts. If the voltage is more like 12.5 volts, the alternator is bad.
okay ill try this method but i doubt that car will kill a brand new battery in less then 14 hours i didnt drive it that much doesnt even make the clicking noise of a dead battery but i also thought if you put a battery in a car and take off the negative or positive cable while the cars running if the car turns off then your alt is no longer good i tried that mathod the vehicle remained on but ill check voltage for sure today
Old 04-12-2017, 11:26 AM

I think it's the starter. Stuck solenoid.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 PM

I went to advance autoparts to get a diagnostic and they said everything was okay I'll get a second reading from a different place not sure what's going on with my maxima honestly I cleaned corrosion off the terminal and switch from a Duracell battery brand new to a yellow top optima battery that I had in my other car for almost 4 years no issues yet I'll keep everyone posted
Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 AM

Dying Alternators kill batteries

Originally Posted by 09maxshawn11
okay ill try this method but I doubt that car will kill a brand new battery in less than 14 hours I didn't drive it that much doesn't even make the clicking noise of a dead battery but I also thought if you put a battery in a car and take off the negative or positive cable while the cars running if the car turns off then your alt is no longer good I tried that method the vehicle remained on but ill check voltage for sure today
If your alternator is dying it WILL kill your battery, a new battery, the battery you borrowed from your buddy, and every other battery you throw on it. When your alternator dies just expect to replace both the alternator & the battery. Verify with a multimeter across both battery terminals that you're getting at least 13.5 -14.3. If it's much different then that your voltage regulator might be bad, or your internal brushes might be toast.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Like stated earlier, test the battery with the car on.
First off though check all your connections from the alternator to the battery.
Check the belts tension as well.If the alternator can't be driven correctly,won't work as optimal as it should.
14.1-14.7 are factory specs(if OEM alternator)
Also test the battery by itself. 12.4-12.6 should be good.
Then do a load test.Turn the car on and turn on all lights,a/c,flashers,radio,everything electrical. Volts shouldn't drop down to less than the initial battery voltage with a load.
13.1-13.5 would be optimal for a steady reading.

Diodes when bad when drain a battery,so will overcharging .

If all checks out, test your battery fully charged,then the next time before you start the car,test it again. If it lowers,
1.Bad battery already(loses charge)
2.Parasitic draw
3.Starter system