5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone seen or know about the stock/OEM LSD diff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:45 AM

Has anyone seen or know about the stock/OEM LSD diff?

I've heard some describe it has having a bar in the middle of it but, what i want to know if it's the kind of LSD with clutch packs? OR is it some ghetto stuff that makes the spider gears bind up like this conversion kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252361541700...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Logic dictates that the highest probability the clutch pack style, unless it's super bad *** like the Torsen style.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential4.htm

Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 AM

The 3.0 cars were available with a viscus fluid LSD.
The 3.5 cars were available with a helical LSD or HLSD.

I swapped in an HLSD tranny from a 6th gen car over 10 years ago and it was the best thing I've done to the car. It dramatically changed the acceleration, cornering and wet weather handling. I went from open diff to HLSD in the same car so the difference was obvious. They should have put the HLSD in all the 6-MT cars.

Your best bet is an 04-06 tranny. They improved the syncros for better shifting. Especially 3rd gear. The final drive is lower (higher RPM at same speed) but it's subtle and helps acceleration.

My tranny has around 200,000 hard miles with no problems at all. From what I understand, the HLSD doesn't wear out like other types.

Many of the HLSD equipped cars went to Canada so that's a good place to find one. I found mine in a yard in Canada by using this site. http://car-part.com/ The shipping was very reasonable, even to Florida, since it comes freight instead of a carrier like UPS etc...
I also sold my original 6-MT to a tranny shop for around $250 which helped offset the cost.

There are codes and other clues to ID an HLSD but someone else with more solid knowledge will chime in. It's been a while since I researched it.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:18 AM

my 01 3L is an auto, i don't think a 6th gen auto trans would work without the ecu? i wonder if that helical or torsen 6th gen diff would fit though?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
my 01 3L is an auto, i don't think a 6th gen auto trans would work without the ecu? i wonder if that helical or torsen 6th gen diff would fit though?
I couldn't tell you that but I doubt any internal components would swap.
The 02-06 6-MT trannys are a direct swap but that doesn't help you.

Everything I wrote above applies to the manual trannys.

The 01 AE (anniversary edition) came with an auto with LSD that should swap into any 3.0 car.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 PM

I wonder what kind of LSD the auto 02-02 3.5Ls came with and if the entire auto trans can be swapped over to the 3.0L, maybe the sensors might need changed out for the ones that came with the 3.0L. Alternatively i wonder if the 3.0 viscous LSD is as good as any other LSD?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM

I'm not sure if the 20-03 had an LSD option for the auto.
I always thought it didn't but there was a discussion here a while back where a very reputable member was saying there was so I'm not sure. I didn't really follow it too closely.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:23 PM

So basically an lsd from a manual won't bolt in the auto and i'm s.o.l on a limited slip?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
So basically an lsd from a manual won't bolt in the auto and i'm s.o.l on a limited slip?
I'm not 100% sure but I doubt any internal pieces would swap. I'm not a tranny expert though, especially autos.

The only auto I know for sure has LSD is the 01 AE.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Look under the hood on the firewall, there should be a small silver plate. Idk about 5th gens but 5.5s will say rs6f51A and if you have lsd it will read rs6f51H ending in "A" for open diff or "H" for HLSD.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 PM

yes they had LSD you can get the LSD autos from junk yards the i30 similar years as 5th gen. and i35 (i think 02-04)used the same trans and i think or all of those came standard with an LSD.

The question is the OEM LSD better than the crude yet very effective spring loaded aluminum block mod you can get for $300, if not **** it, I can rebuild it with help of the some folks that rebuild trans all day and know i have brand new, seals, bearings, clutches and steals along with a shift kit.

If the OEM LSD is nicer unit, then it's worth it to buy a used low milage trans and install the shift the kit.

BTW: while rare you could source heated steering wheels for the 5th gen. Also the windows switch plates for the rear doors to set up rear heated seats, though that would def be form an i30 or i35.

EDIT: I wonder if the H is for helical (torsen) or Hydrostatic (viscous)
Old 04-20-2017, 06:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
yes they had LSD you can get the LSD autos from junk yards the i30 similar years as 5th gen. and i35 (i think 02-04)used the same trans and i think or all of those came standard with an LSD.

The question is the OEM LSD better than the crude yet very effective spring loaded aluminum block mod you can get for $300, if not **** it, I can rebuild it with help of the some folks that rebuild trans all day and know i have brand new, seals, bearings, clutches and steals along with a shift kit.

If the OEM LSD is nicer unit, then it's worth it to buy a used low milage trans and install the shift the kit.

BTW: while rare you could source heated steering wheels for the 5th gen. Also the windows switch plates for the rear doors to set up rear heated seats, though that would def be form an i30 or i35.

EDIT: I wonder if the H is for helical (torsen) or Hydrostatic (viscous)
Stands for Helical