5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil leaking from the dipstik and elsewhere, foaming

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 AM

Oil leaking from the dipstik and elsewhere, foaming

Noticed new oil leak on the driveway and checked oil level...

The entire dipstick is oily, there are tiny bubbles in that oil and after wiping and reinserting the dipstick it still comes out oiled entirely.
There is nothing like "milk shake" - oil is dark but clear with lots of tiny bubbles.

I am using Castrol Syntec 5W30, it's at about 10,000 miles and due for a change right now. I will do a change tonight, just wanted to hear if anyone knew what could cause that. First time ever happened to me.

The engine VQ35DE has 110,000 miles on it and runs good, quiet with good gas mileage. There is a slight buzzing noise at the RPMs above 1500 which sounds pretty much like coffee grinder. I attribute it to the worn chain tensioners, but not 100% sure.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:16 AM

How far up on the dip stick is the oil???
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM

All the way up.

It just occurred to me that I had added 1 can of Seafoam to the last tank of gas. Can Seafoam cause this kind of foaming?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:18 AM

You probably have too much oil in your engine. That is what causes oil frothing. Do an oil change and report back how many quarts or gallons :/ you drain out.

Seafoam will not cause this if in the gas tank, though you should only do a 1/3 of a bottle in the tank at a time.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:23 PM

My friend's brother a long time ago changed his own oil
and we were looking at him do it. He put in like 10qt in this 98 accord
we were just "wtf"

Anyway the way the correct way to put in oil is just do it until it comes out the
dip stick hole alittle bit and there you go.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
My friend's brother a long time ago changed his own oil
and we were looking at him do it. He put in like 10qt in this 98 accord
we were just "wtf"

Anyway the way the correct way to put in oil is just do it until it comes out the
dip stick hole alittle bit and there you go.
Are you sure that's what you meant to say?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Noticed new oil leak on the driveway and checked oil level...

The entire dipstick is oily, there are tiny bubbles in that oil and after wiping and reinserting the dipstick it still comes out oiled entirely.
There is nothing like "milk shake" - oil is dark but clear with lots of tiny bubbles.

I am using Castrol Syntec 5W30, it's at about 10,000 miles and due for a change right now. I will do a change tonight, just wanted to hear if anyone knew what could cause that. First time ever happened to me.

The engine VQ35DE has 110,000 miles on it and runs good, quiet with good gas mileage. There is a slight buzzing noise at the RPMs above 1500 which sounds pretty much like coffee grinder. I attribute it to the worn chain tensioners, but not 100% sure.
The most common cause of foaming is overfilling. With substantial overfilling, the crankshaft is constantly "beating" the oil, creating foam and bubbles.
Such oil does not lubricate very well, so it's in your best interest to correct the situation as soon as possible. (BTW, this is the reason why there is a MAX mark on your oil dipstick).
Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 AM

Drained slightly over 2 quarts and found the culprit.
It was the damaged front VTC solenoid gasket.
Oil only leaked when the engine was running, and my parents who are using the car most of the time have a habit of warming it up in the driveway, so there was a leak.
Ordered the gasket, replacing it tomorrow night.