5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 02:06 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

I can't find anyone who has duals on their 5th Gen. You would think at least someone has a setup at least similer to mine using one muffler since it is soo easy to do. I told Emax95 a while ago that he should pursue a 94-98 Mustang Style dual exhaust setup (slanted 12" tips at opposite ends of bumper, & bondo'ing up the stock bumper cutout) but he said nay.

I think duals, especially with the Mustang style tips, would look awesome on a 5th gen.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:10 PM
jjs

Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Originally posted by Craig Mack
I can't find anyone who has duals on their 5th Gen. You would think at least someone has a setup at least similer to mine using one muffler since it is soo easy to do. I told Emax95 a while ago that he should pursue a 94-98 Mustang Style dual exhaust setup (slanted 12" tips at opposite ends of bumper, & bondo'ing up the stock bumper cutout) but he said nay. I think it would look sweet on a 5th Gen.
Quite frankly, it would be a waste of the time and effort since what gains you MAY get would be minimal indeed compared to the investment.

If you are going for sound, there are muffler swaps to the stock system and if you are going purely for looks, hook up a dummy pipe with a dummy tip and save yourself the effort.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:13 PM

Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Originally posted by jjs

Quite frankly, it would be a waste of the time and effort since what gains you MAY get would be minimal indeed compared to the investment.

If you are going for sound, there are muffler swaps to the stock system and if you are going purely for looks, hook up a dummy pipe with a dummy tip and save yourself the effort.
Actually, one can get a catback dual exhaust setup for around $450. It would be pipe bent aluminized, but would include EVERYTHING installed. (2.5" b, 20" glasspack/turbo tube resonator, flows 2 chamber muffler, 2.25" pipe hooking to muffler running around spare tire well) with the stang tips it would probubly be a little more.

Duals are mainly for looks and sound, but might add a little more torque do to the extra piping. Nothing remotely significant though. IMO, duals look 10 times better then the everyday coffee can import catback. The sound is also different.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Only thing on this dual setup is that on the drivers side the box that is in the way needs to be removed. I forget what that box was for again, its this black box under the car. It would be right in the way of the dual setup.

Secondly, no muffler would be on that side unless you cut the sparetire well. You would have to get some matching tip to emulate you got a muffler under there.

My only peeve is that, I dont like that. If I were to do a dual, I would want two mufflers only cause Im picky like that. Others might not mind.

Dixit
Old 12-20-2002, 02:47 PM

You'd also have to get a custom bumper with two holes for the exhaust tips or it would look absolutely terrible. Are there even any bumpers like that made for the 5th gens? I guess it could be shaved away, but I dunno how good it would.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Only thing on this dual setup is that on the drivers side the box that is in the way needs to be removed. I forget what that box was for again, its this black box under the car. It would be right in the way of the dual setup.
It's called an EVAP box. Mine didn't have that, but if you were doing a mustang style coming out of the very ends of the bumper, you might be able to bend the pipe around that.

Secondly, no muffler would be on that side unless you cut the sparetire well. You would have to get some matching tip to emulate you got a muffler under there.

My only peeve is that, I dont like that. If I were to do a dual, I would want two mufflers only cause Im picky like that. Others might not mind.
I only have one muffler. It's under 4 inches thick, and is 100% invisible from any angle, even sloped hills. All you can see is the tips and the dual pipe in the tire well from the left side of the car (making it look like straight pipes even more)

Y2kSteve I disagree completely. I think it would look great.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:04 PM
Donating Member

I can't find anyone who has duals on their 5th Gen. You would think at least someone has a setup at least similer to mine using one muffler since it is soo easy to do. I told Emax95 a while ago that he should pursue a 94-98 Mustang Style dual exhaust setup (slanted 12" tips at opposite ends of bumper, & bondo'ing up the stock bumper cutout) but he said nay.

I think duals, especially with the Mustang style tips, would look awesome on a 5th gen.
I was thinking the same thing, someone must have duals on a 5th gen. I just followed a TL home tonight and the dual tips DEFINATELY look great. Only problem was you could see all of the pipes behind the rear wheels clear as day...looked poorly engineered for what Honda typically puts out. But the Max should have dual tips for the image they're shooting for, I can't imagine the extra cost at the factory would be too much...

As for having a dummy tip, it'd probably look awkward up here in our cold winters.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:06 PM

Now that I see your setup it looks nice. I remember looking at it before, I saw RedMax's setup in person with the custom bumper. But that is the key, getting a custom bumper that supports the dual setup.

We 5th genners done have that right now.

Dixit
Old 12-20-2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Now that I see your setup it looks nice. I remember looking at it before, I saw RedMax's setup in person with the custom bumper. But that is the key, getting a custom bumper that supports the dual setup.

We 5th genners done have that right now.

Dixit
Exactly what I was saying...
Old 12-20-2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Pangburn
As for having a dummy tip, it'd probably look awkward up here in our cold winters.
Well if you use one muffler with a pipe around the tire well that connects to that muffler, then steam will pour out of BOTH tips. I am in Florida but we still get some cold days, and on those days the steam pours out of both tips like mad..it looks so beautiful

BigDogJonx: Custom bumper? I have the Stillen kit, and just dremeled out another bumper cutout. IMO that custom bumper kit is ricey and too honda-ish. So you guys can do what I did, make some templetes, measurements, and dremel away, or bondo up the stock hole and redue some things and do the mustang style which I think looks better.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:25 PM

Motor Trend shows the OEM Nissan dual exhaust of the G35 Coupe (dual pipes started from the engine headers) in their Car of the Year article. That dual setup and engine tuning provided 280 HP from our 3.5 and 20 more ponies than the single-pipe G35 Sedan. If somebody will manufacture a true dual exhaust for our FWD Maxima....
Old 12-20-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

True duals for a tranverse mounted V6 is probably close to impossible if not cost/space prohibitive.

Originally posted by max988
Motor Trend shows the OEM Nissan dual exhaust of the G35 Coupe (dual pipes started from the engine headers) in their Car of the Year article. That dual setup and engine tuning provided 280 HP from our 3.5 and 20 more ponies than the single-pipe G35 Sedan. If somebody will manufacture a true dual exhaust for our FWD Maxima....
Old 12-20-2002, 04:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Well if you use one muffler with a pipe around the tire well that connects to that muffler, then steam will pour out of BOTH tips. I am in Florida but we still get some cold days, and on those days the steam pours out of both tips like mad..it looks so beautiful

BigDogJonx: Custom bumper? I have the Stillen kit, and just dremeled out another bumper cutout. IMO that custom bumper kit is ricey and too honda-ish. So you guys can do what I did, make some templetes, measurements, and dremel away, or bondo up the stock hole and redue some things and do the mustang style which I think looks better.
why would you wanna be rice..spend your money and effort somewhere else!!

like instead of doing custom work on exterior of the car, why don't you experiment with different type of blowers that might fit maximas?
oh sorry, i expect too much!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
You'd also have to get a custom bumper with two holes for the exhaust tips or it would look absolutely terrible. Are there even any bumpers like that made for the 5th gens? I guess it could be shaved away, but I dunno how good it would.
actually i would have to agree with craig mack, i dont knew who it was but i saw a 5th gen in LA with a dual exhaust. it was black and had a ninja body kit on it. im not sure if it was an org member or some dumb fober with too much of some1 elses money. in any case the car looked sweet and the exhaust note sounded pretty good at just normal cruisin but i didnt hear him get on it. btw if this car sounds familiar to any1 it was in Burbank, i was at Gitana smokin the hookah with a few friends
Old 12-20-2002, 10:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Originally posted by MaxTuner

why would you wanna be rice..spend your money and effort somewhere else!!
Rice? My setup is about as FAR from rice as one can be. Flowmasters muffler and dual pipes is as american as apple pie. And although my car isn't American, I am.

Rice is single coffee can mufflers, bomb cans, fart cans, ect. Greddy, Apexi and them are ok, but I personally don't like the way they look at all. They look like every other freakn Import with an exhaust. I can't stand those generic ebay fart cans. Two pipes always look more aggressive then one, and the many compliments on the sound/look of my exhaust has proven that time and time again.

like instead of doing custom work on exterior of the car, why don't you experiment with different type of blowers that might fit maximas?
oh sorry, i expect too much!
Old 12-20-2002, 10:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Rice? My setup is about as FAR from rice as one can be. Flowmasters muffler and dual pipes is as american as apple pie. And although my car isn't American, I am.

Rice is single coffee can mufflers, bomb cans, fart cans, ect. Greddy, Apexi and them are ok, but I personally don't like the way they look at all. They look like every other freakn Import with an exhaust. I can't stand those generic ebay fart cans. Two pipes always look more aggressive then one, and the many compliments on the sound/look of my exhaust has proven that time and time again.

Excuse me are you calling ""Greddy, Apexi "" exhaust systems from those two companies rice??? You have to be joking me or you are so ignorant that it's not even funny!

Oh wait, that's okay cuz you are "American"

""Flowmasters muffler and dual pipes is as american as apple pie. And although my car isn't American, I am"""that says it all.

yeah you are so american, I am sorry, your sig tells it all!!

Wake up and welcome to the "import tuning"....
Old 12-20-2002, 11:05 PM

ok now this is getting carried away who cares who used what parts in their cars, its their choice and theirs alone....unless they are an idiot...anyway. i dont think greddy or apexi is a "rice" product. dumb kids who buy crappy a$$ fiberglass imitation bodykit? thats rice! windshield washer light? also rice. anything that make u think wtf in a bad, and is on a car is rice. including that stupid light up muffler tip and fart can exhausts. please dont start the rice thing again im sure we all know what is and isnt rice. were also intitled to our own opionion.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Excuse me are you calling ""Greddy, Apexi "" exhaust systems from those two companies rice??? You have to be joking me or you are so ignorant that it's not even funny!

Oh wait, that's okay cuz you are "American"

""Flowmasters muffler and dual pipes is as american as apple pie. And although my car isn't American, I am"""that says it all.

yeah you are so american, I am sorry, your sig tells it all!!

Wake up and welcome to the "import tuning"....
Come on now play nice.....
Old 12-21-2002, 12:50 AM

Old 12-21-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

If you read his post once again he said: "Rice is single coffee can mufflers, bomb cans, fart cans, ect. Greddy, Apexi and them are ok, but I personally don't like the way they look at all."
Old 12-21-2002, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Pangburn

I was thinking the same thing, someone must have duals on a 5th gen. I just followed a TL home tonight and the dual tips DEFINATELY look great. Only problem was you could see all of the pipes behind the rear wheels clear as day...looked poorly engineered for what Honda typically puts out. But the Max should have dual tips for the image they're shooting for, I can't imagine the extra cost at the factory would be too much...

That's what I'm looking for for next spring, I will cut that spare fake tire room, so I can hook 2 Dual tips mufflers, as for the bumper that sound like a piece of cake to cut, I'making a template of the exhaust cut in the bumper, so when it'll be time to cut the bumper it's going to be easy and precise, I want a perfect look and I'll get it.

P.S: Hope to be the first 5th gen to do it, damn spring if it just come faster this year.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-21-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Originally posted by MaxSE03

If you read his post once again he said: "Rice is single coffee can mufflers, bomb cans, fart cans, ect. Greddy, Apexi and them are ok, but I personally don't like the way they look at all."
THANK YOU. Some people here are just too f#cking stupid to read a damn post correctly...

Anyways, I am just trying to talk to you guys about dual setups and help with what info I have on them.

As far as that little black box goes, some 4th Gens have it, and some don't. I got lucky. I believe there is some way to relocate it. But you guys should go look under your car to see if a pipe can be bent around it. If so, then you guys could easily achieve duals for cheap.

My top reasons for doing duals:

1)Looks - 2 is always more aggressive then 1
2)Sound (more piping = more/different tone, Flows muffler = totally different tone then conventional setups)
3)Performance - They should yeild similer gains as conventional setups, and as far as the extra piping goes, I hear it adds more torque since it extends the length of the exhaust system and forces more flowadge? (I probubly f#cked that peice of info up)
4)Gases - I get a smile on my face everytime I see steam pour out of both tips.

If you choose a Flowmasters 2 chambered muffler, I highly recommend a big resonator. I chose a 20" glasspack over a 20" turbo tube becuase the glasspack sounded alot deeper. While the Turbo tube was significantly quieter, the glasspack still did a great job of taking out the rice above 2000rpm. It also gave my exhaust a deeper sound while the Turbo tube just quieted. Despite what people say, glasspacks these days can last as long as 5 years before they start wearing out, which was plenty of time for me. Most conventional mufflers for the Maxima have low monotone hummmmmm. I didn't want that. The Flowmaster gave me as much of a "domestic like" tone that our 3.0L 6's could achieve. It sounds dirtier and more burbly then conventional Max setups. Some of you guys don't like that raw tone, but I do. I am going to try to get a sound clip/video clip of my car/duals for yall. In my opinion, it sounds BETTER then most 8cyl. american cars at idle and creeping at stoplights becuase it has a unique deep tone becuase it's a 6. But of course beyond 2k rpm it's importish tones become distinct. (not ricey, just more revvy/race like)
Old 12-21-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

THANK YOU. Some people here are just too f#cking stupid to read a damn post correctly...

Anyways, I am just trying to talk to you guys about dual setups and help with what info I have on them.

As far as that little black box goes, some 4th Gens have it, and some don't. I got lucky. I believe there is some way to relocate it. But you guys should go look under your car to see if a pipe can be bent around it. If so, then you guys could easily achieve duals for cheap.

My top reasons for doing duals:

1)Looks - 2 is always more aggressive then 1
2)Sound (more piping = more/different tone, Flows muffler = totally different tone then conventional setups)
3)Performance - They should yeild similer gains as conventional setups, and as far as the extra piping goes, I hear it adds more torque since it extends the length of the exhaust system and forces more flowadge? (I probubly f#cked that peice of info up)
4)Gases - I get a smile on my face everytime I see steam pour out of both tips.

If you choose a Flowmasters 2 chambered muffler, I highly recommend a big resonator. I chose a 20" glasspack over a 20" turbo tube becuase the glasspack sounded alot deeper. While the Turbo tube was significantly quieter, the glasspack still did a great job of taking out the rice above 2000rpm. It also gave my exhaust a deeper sound while the Turbo tube just quieted. Despite what people say, glasspacks these days can last as long as 5 years before they start wearing out, which was plenty of time for me. Most conventional mufflers for the Maxima have low monotone hummmmmm. I didn't want that. The Flowmaster gave me as much of a "domestic like" tone that our 3.0L 6's could achieve. It sounds dirtier and more burbly then conventional Max setups. Some of you guys don't like that raw tone, but I do. I am going to try to get a sound clip/video clip of my car/duals for yall. In my opinion, it sounds BETTER then most 8cyl. american cars at idle and creeping at stoplights becuase it has a unique deep tone becuase it's a 6. But of course beyond 2k rpm it's importish tones become distinct. (not ricey, just more revvy/race like)

"sigh" it's okay la ""american"" rice boy talking all you want, your car still looks as "american rice" as one can possibly do to an import car!

you are one of those ppl that make us (import tuners) look bad in front of others!!!
Old 12-21-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Originally posted by doublea

That's what I'm looking for for next spring, I will cut that spare fake tire room, so I can hook 2 Dual tips mufflers, as for the bumper that sound like a piece of cake to cut, I'making a template of the exhaust cut in the bumper, so when it'll be time to cut the bumper it's going to be easy and precise, I want a perfect look and I'll get it.

P.S: Hope to be the first 5th gen to do it, damn spring if it just come faster this year.

Cheers

AA
That box can be relocated, but i still have no idea were to safely move it to. in any case i repeat i have seen a 5th gen with this setup be4, im 100% sure it was a 5th gen. Black with a ninja body kit, maybe sonoran but the diff between them are very small. i didnt talk to the guy i just saw him cruise right past us as we were outwide. it had atleas 3.5" tip on each side but im not so sure it was an org member because im sure he would have posted something about having dual setup on 5th gen. i just dont think itw worth the trouble.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Originally posted by HitManSE

That box can be relocated, but i still have no idea were to safely move it to. in any case i repeat i have seen a 5th gen with this setup be4, im 100% sure it was a 5th gen. Black with a ninja body kit, maybe sonoran but the diff between them are very small. i didnt talk to the guy i just saw him cruise right past us as we were outwide. it had atleas 3.5" tip on each side but im not so sure it was an org member because im sure he would have posted something about having dual setup on 5th gen. i just dont think itw worth the trouble.
Are you talking about the black 5th gen thats on 20s here in Phoenix? If so, he has the Greddy exhaust. I saw his car in the parking lot once and went and checked it out. And I think you're right about him not being on the org also.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I asked this question a few months ago and I only got one response. I've always wanted duals on my max. www.custommaxima.com says they're coming out with bolt on duals, but it did say late November. So who knows how many times they'll push the date back.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by wildmanal
I asked this question a few months ago and I only got one response. I've always wanted duals on my max. www.custommaxima.com says they're coming out with bolt on duals, but it did say late November. So who knows how many times they'll push the date back.
He has one out for the 4th gen already
Old 12-21-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Are you talking about the black 5th gen thats on 20s here in Phoenix? If so, he has the Greddy exhaust. I saw his car in the parking lot once and went and checked it out. And I think you're right about him not being on the org also.
Theres a black 5th gen on 20's here? ive seen a 2k1 same color as our car on 20's ive seen him and talked 2 the guy be4, zach has seen his car but thats about it. there is a 2k2 on 20's as well but its majestic blue and no i dont think hes on the org either. there is also a black 4th gen with alot o'**** done to it but i dont think hes on the org either. but the 1 im talkin about i saw in LA a couple weeks ago while i was in Burbank. i would have yelled something to the guy but the possibility of gettin shot at when yelling at some1 there is very high, so i just kicked back and didnt care
Old 12-21-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does ANY 5th Gen. Maxima have any type of Dual Exhaust setup?

"sigh" it's okay la ""american"" rice boy:lagh: talking all you want, your car still looks as "american rice" as one can possibly do to an import car!
Yeah, God forbid we put duals on an Import and make it look halfway aggressive and stylish! We should just stick to the disgusting body kits, single fart cans, chrome altezza's, and huge wings! After all, they give us downforce right!

you are one of those ppl that make us (import tuners) look bad in front of others!
No, you guys make yourselves look bad when your FWD economy car runs 17's. My only beef with Maxima's is the FWD. It has lots of muscle for what it is and would be a track freak with RWD. I bet you that you could bring a bone stock 4th gen - 5th gen 5spd Maxima to the track and destroy 80% of the imports there.

I am overall embarrassed to be associated with most Imports. Cars like 300zx's, Rx7's, Supra's, ect. are all awesome cars though. I love most Nissan's too. I wish Maxima's had a drivetrain like the 240sx, then it would be almost perfect.

I now leave you with a couple of my favorite pictures:

So anyways, back to duals for 5th Gens....have any of yall checked under your car about space on the other side of that EVAP box? Maybe there is a way to run the pipe around that w/o it hanging too low..
Old 12-21-2002, 09:07 PM

lol.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by max988
You and I have similar signatures now.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM

First it's a mid size luxury sedan why would they run RWD & Dual exhaust.
I think you want the 350Z or 300Z.
Second you could run dual exhaust and run it along the same route and dump both pipes right out of the passenger side!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
First it's a mid size luxury sedan why would they run RWD & Dual exhaust.
I think you want the 350Z or 300Z.
Second you could run dual exhaust and run it along the same route and dump both pipes right out of the passenger side!
this thread is almost 15 years old, fyi
Old 04-24-2017, 12:37 PM

Back the in the days when pep boy rice was cool.

Name:  ricer_civic_2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  49.1 KB