5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starting Issue - Need Help, Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Starting Issue - Need Help, Stumped

OK guys, 02 Maxima - a little over 153K on the dash. Owned for 7 years now, NEVER had an issue with it starting until the other day.

I will put the key in the ignition, turn the key one minute - lights/radio etc. but not a sound besides a click.

I will try taking the key out and putting it back in about 3-4 times. On the 4th try it starts up PERFECT as normal.

Another day (like today) went out and it started up first on the 1st try. Cold or hot starts don't tend to matter either - oil just changed.

Worth noting: Had a CEL regarding a P0014 last week - Figured it was dirty oil, got an conventional oil change/filter and air filter and reset code. hasn't came back on since

Idk where to start to look. I'm thinking starter or battery. Need help

Last edited by GLB07; 05-17-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:47 PM

It's either your solenoid (most likely) or perhaps your ignition switch.
You can diagnose this by measuring the voltage on the starter..... but, you have to remove the airbox to get to it.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:54 PM

Ok Thanks. I will stopped past Advance Auto in the morning to get it tested.

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
It's either your solenoid (most likely) or perhaps your ignition switch.
You can diagnose this by measuring the voltage on the starter..... but, you have to remove the airbox to get to it.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 AM

Had the same issue about a month ago. Sometimes the car would start and sometimes it took me hitting the starter for it to crank. I checked the start signal fuse, ect, moved the shift lever around figuring it might not be in park all the way, but I ended up replacing the starter. Problem solved.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Follow up:

Went to advance auto, had the starter, alternator & battery tested. Turned out the battery juice was low. I put it on my battery charger and haven't had an issue yet.

Still skeptical but I will keep an eye out for any changes.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Yeah I've had batteries do that before. One minute they are good, the next, click. I'm currently working on a car that the PO thought it was the battery, its the alternator. No jump in volts running, so the battery slowly drains away till the car won't start. I would do that test with a volt meter.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Bad *** Newb

Starter solenoid. Intermittent is THE symptom. If battery were low it would fast click.