5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Revs drop immediately if I step off the gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 PM

Revs drop immediately if I step off the gas pedal - SOLVED

It feels like I have lost a lot of power....when the car is on I'm smelling a lot of gas....it also feels like the revs and the gears are mismatching or something because the engine is not reving correctly, feels like its grogy....

Any ideas here? When I originally replaced the MAF, the revs were improved, and dropped slowly if I stepped off the gas, now they drop immediately. I originally disconnect my battery for overnight when I installed the new MAF...is it possible that the computer did not reset and is back to functioning according to the old MAF data?

What other things can cause this sort of issue? It literally feels like I am pressing the gas pedal but getting half the power and revs from the engine.....the pedal use to feel tighter too, in terms of me pressing the gas and me getting power....the gears shift are too violent, again, feeling like the revs are mismatching...even hear some squeaking sometimes when the gears change.

Update: I went to my mechanic and he went through the car in and out. Turns out it was my air filter!!!! I had a K&N Air Filter, which it turns out is **** for your car, no matter if it is with the its oil or not. The filter piece it self is see through, it doesn't protect the MAF from anything. I had leaves on my housing!!!! Anyway, change the air filter, cleaned the MAF, and the car is driving decently again. Thought I fear I will never get back to the real performance it use to have when I first got 5 years ago haha.

Last edited by District; 05-19-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by District
It feels like I have lost a lot of power....when the car is on I'm smelling a lot of gas....it also feels like the revs and the gears are mismatching or something because the engine is not reving correctly, feels like its grogy....
This could be your TPS, or your CATs are clogged, or bad coils/plugs, bad injectors, or many other reasons. You have to do some basic sanity checking/experiments first. Any codes or pending codes?

Originally Posted by District
When I originally replaced the MAF, the revs were improved, and dropped slowly if I stepped off the gas, now they drop immediately. I originally disconnect my battery for overnight when I installed the new MAF...is it possible that the computer did not reset and is back to functioning according to the old MAF data?
This sounds like a bad IACV - is this a 3.0L ?
Disconnecting overnight takes care of the re-learn, at least on the 3.0L.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:23 PM

I second Maxiiboy say sounds like a bad IACV which has to do with idle control, I hope your ECM didn't toast from a bad IACV
Old 05-18-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
I second Maxiiboy say sounds like a bad IACV which has to do with idle control, I hope your ECM didn't toast from a bad IACV
i'm tempted to say x3 on the rev drop issue, assuming 00-01 3.0. does it stall completely? or just drop revs?

but the other stuff (lost power, gas smell, etc) does not seem iacv to me. did these issues appear separately or do you think they're related? was it brought on by the MAF change? was it OEM MAF? or cheapo aftermarket?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:14 AM

It did stall completely a few times on start earlier when I changed the MAF. The engine would fire up, then when the revs dropped, it dropped all the way to 0 and died, however that did not continue.

What is interesting is that the car basically does not rev above 3000 no matter how much I step on the gas when in gear. When I start moving, putting the gas pedal all the way down will only get me to at most 3k rpm and it will keep switching up in gears pretty violently.

The MAF is the OEM.

Last edited by District; 05-19-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 AM

Do you have any codes? CEL on?