5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Reading spark plug color and effect of decreased resistance on coils. Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Reading spark plug color and effect of decreased resistance on coils. Oil Analysis

So some of you may remember I accidentally put the 3.5 plugs in my 3.0.

The ground was smashed down into the center electrodes. So in that 10 seconds or so I was turning the car over, could the coils have been damaged?

Sometime shortly after that (within maybe a month), I started noticing a minor/moderate, but noticeable power loss. It's pretty much all across the RPM range. 3-2 tranny kickdown is QUITE resistant to do so. Maybe the most noticeable after a recent coil failure that triggered knock sensor code, misfire code, and catalyst code. 8 mile drive home limping the car with 1 misfiring cylinder. Cleared the codes the next day after replacing the coil. They haven't came back, and it's probably been 3,000+ miles.

No codes, MAF is Fine, obviously spark plugs are recent, clean and recent air filter, no vacuums leaks that I can tell since changing the valve covers a few months before. The only loose hose I found was the A/T breather tube (I guess supposed to be).

See pics below for plug condition and oil analysis. Suggestions? What is the average cost to test fuel rail pressure?

Thx

Less than 5,000 miles and it looks like some light rich fouling

better picture of discoloration

oil analysis. Silicon & Sodium is showing high. Think this might be a vacuum leak pulling dirt in? Where would you look?