5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 Bose question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 09:24 PM

2k2 Bose question

Well, picked up the Max today and after a couple hours of sitting in the garage I've about got all the gadgets and gizmos figured out. The only issue I've got so far is with the radio, which is the Bose upgrade with the 6 disc changer in the dash.

There is a 'PTY' button (program type), that can supposedly be used to associate a program type with a preset station (Jazz, Classical, Rock, etc.), so that I can later use the scan/seek functions to search for specific program types. The directions in the manual say to preset the station, then select the program type, then hold down the preset button again for 1.5 seconds to associate the selected program type with the selected preset station.

This does not appear to be working; the PTY button will ALWAYS show whatever the last selected PTY is, regardless of what station I'm on. I did a search of the forum and found a gentleman with exactly the same problem who posted about it back in mid-December, but nobody ever replied to that part of his post and he didn't put his email address in his profile so I can't contact him to see if he ever figured it out.

Anyone else successful/unsuccessful in setting up this feature? Or am I misunderstanding how it is supposed to work?
Old 01-31-2002, 09:35 PM

Seems like too much effort if you ask me. I listen to about 3 radio stations and I don't need the display telling me what format it is.

I did the auto search thingy while playing and only 2 radio stations showed up with the format automatically. (The RDS feature) Both of which I never listen to.

Sorry, I don't have the answer you were looking for, admittedly I'll have to play with it some more too.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:13 AM
Arctic Trooper

Re: 2k2 Bose question

Originally posted by Chance
...This does not appear to be working; the PTY button will ALWAYS show whatever the last selected PTY is, regardless of what station I'm on. I did a search of the forum and found a gentleman with exactly the same problem who posted about it back in mid-December, but nobody ever replied to that part of his post and he didn't put his email address in his profile so I can't contact him to see if he ever figured it out....
Chance,
Finally! Someone else has actually read the '02 owner's manual thoroughly enough to have caught this. I am the gentleman who posted this problem in December. I never did figure it out (and of course this forum was not much help since the problem had nothing to do with fog lights or indiglo door sills ). As you have discovered, it is not possible to change or assign a program type to a preset, in spite of what the owner's manual says. Nor is it possible to display a preset's program type-- you always see the last PTY that was selected. Now that I have some corroborating testimony, I think it's safe to assume that the owner's manual is simply wrong. (It's not the only misleading/incorrect section I've found in the manual; the whole thing seems to be a very bad translation from Japanese). I was tempted to disconnect the battery to erase the radio's memory, then set it up again from scratch just to confirm that I didn't screw something up initially. But since yours behaves the same way, I think I'll just forget about the whole thing.

By the way, I thought my e-mail address WAS in my profile. I will check to make sure it is enabled.

Dave

Old 02-01-2002, 07:42 AM

Re: Re: 2k2 Bose question

Originally posted by Arctic Trooper

Chance,
Finally! Someone else has actually read the '02 owner's manual thoroughly enough to have caught this. I am the gentleman who posted this problem in December. I never did figure it out (and of course this forum was not much help since the problem had nothing to do with fog lights or indiglo door sills ). As you have discovered, it is not possible to change or assign a program type to a preset, in spite of what the owner's manual says. Nor is it possible to display a preset's program type-- you always see the last PTY that was selected. Now that I have some corroborating testimony, I think it's safe to assume that the owner's manual is simply wrong. (It's not the only misleading/incorrect section I've found in the manual; the whole thing seems to be a very bad translation from Japanese). I was tempted to disconnect the battery to erase the radio's memory, then set it up again from scratch just to confirm that I didn't screw something up initially. But since yours behaves the same way, I think I'll just forget about the whole thing.

By the way, I thought my e-mail address WAS in my profile. I will check to make sure it is enabled.

Dave
It occurred to me after I went to bed last night that I could have just posted to your original thread, and you would have probably received an email, but I'm glad you found this thread instead. I didn't want to send a forum private message because it looked like you didn't post much and I thought you might not be hanging around to see the message.

I've also found a few oddities in the manual that don't seem to relate or fully explain actual features of the car, but everything except this one issue I managed to figure out in spite of the manual.

There only appears to be about 3 or 4 stations in my area that are RDS enabled, but even they don't seem to display the appropriate program type. As far as I can tell, the 'PTY' button is completely useless. Since I'm hard-headed and stubborn about this stuff, I'll contact Bose and see if they can explain what the heck it's supposed to do. The funny part is that I only listen to the radio on rare occasions, but I'll keep knocking on doors until somebody gives me the answer.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:01 AM

I've played around a little with the pty stuff because it sounded like a neat idea, but there are very few station, even in the DC area, that broadcast the information. I know there are more than zero jazz stations around.

I haven't tried the pty on my presets though.

I wonder if the mysterious 'AUTOP' button has something to do with it. I can't figure out what this button does. Does anyone know?

Maybe the pty is not compatible with the stock fog lights.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by maxSmart
I've played around a little with the pty stuff because it sounded like a neat idea, but there are very few station, even in the DC area, that broadcast the information. I know there are more than zero jazz stations around.

I haven't tried the pty on my presets though.

I wonder if the mysterious 'AUTOP' button has something to do with it. I can't figure out what this button does. Does anyone know?

Maybe the pty is not compatible with the stock fog lights.
The 'AUTO.P' button is the auto preset button; if you hold it down for a second or two, it will scan through the entire range of frequencies and automatically assign presets to the strong signals. I tried using it just as an experiment, but there are so many signals in my area that it ran out of presets long before it got to the upper areas where most of my stations are.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:26 AM

The 'AUTO.P' button is the auto preset button; if you hold it down for a second or two, it will scan through the entire range of frequencies and automatically assign presets to the strong signals. I tried using it just as an experiment, but there are so many signals in my area that it ran out of presets long before it got to the upper areas where most of my stations are.
Thanks for the explanation. I don't see how this could be a useful feature though. I guess if you had only a few strong signals in the area and all of them carried high quality material and you couldn't find the 'scan' button, then it might be useful.

Out of the twenty or so strong signals in my area, there are only about five or so that I would consider assigning a preset.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:05 AM
Arctic Trooper

Originally posted by maxSmart

Thanks for the explanation. I don't see how this could be a useful feature though. I guess if you had only a few strong signals in the area and all of them carried high quality material and you couldn't find the 'scan' button, then it might be useful.
[Re: the Auto P feature] Although the owner's manual doesn't give a clue as to how this feature might be useful, my Mustang had a similar feature. According to the FORD owner's manual (which was written in clear English), the feature was designed for when you travel; you could quickly and automatically set your presets to the strongest signals in the area. So maybe that's what Nissan had in mind. However, unlike the Maxima, on the Mustang you could toggle back to your original presets upon returning home, so there was no "penalty" for using the feature.

Old 02-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Sports Button FTW

BOSE QUESTION

sorry to go off topic but my cd player don't work on my 95 maxima...

what is the LAST year maxima that has the EXACT same double din face like mine? The 2000 has the cd changer which i don't want, so I'm hopping maybe the 99 was the last one wit the face? someone give me a quick answer please
Old 02-01-2002, 01:12 PM

Re: 2k2 Bose question

Well, picked up the Max today and after a couple hours of sitting in the garage I've about got all the gadgets and gizmos figured out. The only issue I've got so far is with the radio, which is the Bose upgrade with the 6 disc changer in the dash.

There is a 'PTY' button (program type), that can supposedly be used to associate a program type with a preset station (Jazz, Classical, Rock, etc.), so that I can later use the scan/seek functions to search for specific program types. The directions in the manual say to preset the station, then select the program type, then hold down the preset button again for 1.5 seconds to associate the selected program type with the selected preset station.

This does not appear to be working; the PTY button will ALWAYS show whatever the last selected PTY is, regardless of what station I'm on. I did a search of the forum and found a gentleman with exactly the same problem who posted about it back in mid-December, but nobody ever replied to that part of his post and he didn't put his email address in his profile so I can't contact him to see if he ever figured it out.

Anyone else successful/unsuccessful in setting up this feature? Or am I misunderstanding how it is supposed to work?
WOW! I wish I had joined maxima.org in November 2001, when I bought my car!

Anyway, would you believe it, I actually called up BOSE, CLARION (that apparently manufactures the radio or something) and NISSAN on this question and got the run around for ever. The Nissan rep also was extremely rude (basically expressing her annoyance that somebody would actually call with such a TRIVIAL thing!!! BTW, I lodged a complaint with Nissan, complkete with dates, times and names, but Nissan didn't get back to me yet!

Back to your Q. As somebody else posted elsewhere, the PTY only works in large cities right now, where PTY information is actually transmitted by the radio stations. The manual is actually quite clear on how this button works, although you (like me) may not get any use out of it.

The AUTO.P button is another matter. The manual is woefully inadequate on it. What the dealer's salesperson and I figured out after a lot of trial and error is that the AUTO.P button is supposed to go through the entire band and preset (on your 6 preset buttons) the strongest signals belonging to the PTY you choose. For example, let's say you like listening to Jazz. Then you choose JAZZ on the PTY, and then WHILE YOU ARE TRAVELLING, for example, you press the AUTO.P button and hold it for 1.5 seconds, and presto! You'll have 6 strong jazz stations locked in on your 6 preset buttons? Get it? Of course, this is above and beyond the 6 x 3 presets you may already have programmed into the FM1, FM2 and AM bands manually. Would be a neat feature while traveling in new area, if only the radio stations would start broadcasting PTY info!
Old 02-01-2002, 01:31 PM

[Re: the Auto P feature] However, unlike the Maxima, on the Mustang you could toggle back to your original presets upon returning home, so there was no "penalty" for using the feature.
There is no "penalty." You still have ALL your 6 x 3 = 18 presets. PLUS, you have 6 MORE presets while traveling due to the AUTO.P button. But I agree with you that the manual (or some folks at 1-800-NISSAN) certainly wouldn't help you know this!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 02:35 PM

Very cool. Thanks aadro.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:37 AM
Arctic Trooper

Re: Re: 2k2 Bose question

Originally posted by aadro

Back to your Q. As somebody else posted elsewhere, the PTY only works in large cities right now, where PTY information is actually transmitted by the radio stations. The manual is actually quite clear on how this button works...
Well, thanks to aadro the AUTO-P feature finally makes sense. However, I live in a large city where there are several stations broadcasting PTY data, and I still say the PTY feature does not operate as stated in the manual on page 4-17.

The manual says "When (the) PTY button is pressed during FM mode, the PTY name of the current tuned station is displayed." On my car, with the radio tuned to a station broadcasting PTY, when I press the PTY button I see the last program type I selected, NOT the program type of the current station. Have I misinterpreted something?

Also, the manual says "Initial PTY names are stored in the preset buttons, but these can be changed by pressing the preset button for more than 1.5 seconds when the desired PTY name is in the display." I'm not real sure what is meant here, but again, on my car after following this procedure all I ever see displayed is the last program type I selected. What am I missing?

Old 02-07-2002, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: BOSE QUESTION

All 95-99 Maximas have the Double DIN CD/Cassette/Radio Bose head unit. They just got better looking as the years got newer. The 99 ones look the best etc. They're all inter-changeable.

DW

Originally posted by meccanoble
sorry to go off topic but my cd player don't work on my 95 maxima...

what is the LAST year maxima that has the EXACT same double din face like mine? The 2000 has the cd changer which i don't want, so I'm hopping maybe the 99 was the last one wit the face? someone give me a quick answer please
Old 02-18-2002, 09:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Bose question

...and I still say the PTY feature does not operate as stated in the manual on page 4-17.

The manual says "When (the) PTY button is pressed during FM mode, the PTY name of the current tuned station is displayed." On my car, with the radio tuned to a station broadcasting PTY, when I press the PTY button I see the last program type I selected, NOT the program type of the current station. Have I misinterpreted something?

Also, the manual says "Initial PTY names are stored in the preset buttons, but these can be changed by pressing the preset button for more than 1.5 seconds when the desired PTY name is in the display." I'm not real sure what is meant here, but again, on my car after following this procedure all I ever see displayed is the last program type I selected. What am I missing?
Hmmm... Arctic, I read this response from you some time back but (since I do not live in an area that has a lot of PTY channels) I have not had a chence to try this out myself. I'll do that soon and reply to this thread if someone else hasn't helped us out already.