5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Front end clunking sound NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:57 PM

Front end clunking sound NEED HELP

I dont know if anyone else has had this issue but I'm getting a loud clunk from the front end when braking and almost at a full stop. Right before I get to a full stop you hear the clunk, I also get it very lightly when I tap my brakes lightly, I've greased up my caliper bolts and its solved the problem before but now I tried again last night and it still clunks, definitely has something to do with braking, just dont want to go to a mechanic and spend a bunch of money and have it keep occurring.
Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Maybe the piston?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:38 PM

In general, the common sources of front-end clunks on our cars are:
  • Front Sway Bar links
  • CV axles
  • Engine mounts, and the passenger-side mount in particular
  • Struts/springs
Your description makes me thing it could be one/both of your CV axles. Raise the front wheel, and wiggle it fw/bw; can you replicate the noise?
Old 05-27-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
In general, the common sources of front-end clunks on our cars are:
  • Front Sway Bar links
  • CV axles
  • Engine mounts, and the passenger-side mount in particular
  • Struts/springs
Your description makes me thing it could be one/both of your CV axles. Raise the front wheel, and wiggle it fw/bw; can you replicate the noise?
links look fine, I've wiggled the wheel and there's no play and I can't replicate the sound with the wheel or any parts, but when I greased them up a few months ago I noticed my caliper on the driver side was a bit more loose, after I tightened it and greased it up it went away. And the clunk ONLY happens when slowing down normally near the end of coming to a stop and very lightly if I tap the brakes, no bumps, nothing else. Which to me seems like it has to do with the brakes and nothing else
Old 05-28-2017, 08:10 AM

Sounds like it could be a control arm bushing. Have someone watch each front wheel and see if it jerks when you come to a stop and feel the clunk.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Sounds like it could be a control arm bushing. Have someone watch each front wheel and see if it jerks when you come to a stop and feel the clunk.
This^ lca bushings will clunk when braking and possibly deep acceleration.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:31 PM

If it's real bad you'll also feel bump steer just from accelerating and stuff.
Mine also squeak. From the power steering leaking on it.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:12 AM

Sounds like lower control arms to me. Could be sway bar links as well.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine does the same thing, hear it from my passenger side, also hearing a crunching sound if I creep forward. Thinking wheel bearing, but no play when I Jack it up and try to wiggle the tire
Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by TampaNate813
Mine does the same thing, hear it from my passenger side, also hearing a crunching sound if I creep forward. Thinking wheel bearing, but no play when I Jack it up and try to wiggle the tire
If it's coming from the passenger side, check our the passenger-side engine mount first. It's a common problem on our cars. (Mine went at ~ 115k, and it took me a lot of effort - and some unneeded expense - to diagnose it).
My advice is - just replace it; the part is only about $35 from Rockauto.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine just hit 97,000 miles.... so could be. It makes the noise when I first accelerate I hear a clunk.... And whenever I hit the brake. And makes that weird crunching sound if I creep forward or backward
Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM

I replaced my caliper guide pins and it went away, but I ended up leaving one side a little looser than the other because I thought I might of over torqued them but shortly after it came back, so I'm pretty sure thats the issue. Will just buy new ones grease them up and put them in torqued up to spec . mine only ever happens when I hit the brake, now if I'm going at any speed if I slightly tap em I heat a very light click, definitely not as loud as before.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's exactly what I hear is a clicking sound, when I turn on a hard right curve I hear is even more.... I'll deff try that! Thanks!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 PM

That's exactly what I hear is a clicking sound, when I turn on a hard right curve I hear is even more.... I'll deff try that! Thanks!
i don't know if that'll be for you, mine was simply braking, nothing else, sounds to me like its possible a ball joint, if its up and down bumps, if not you should try a new wheel bearing, I had wheel bearing problems, so bad that it sounded like a scrapping sound at one point.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 PM

Mine just hit 97,000 miles.... so could be. It makes the noise when I first accelerate I hear a clunk.... And whenever I hit the brake. And makes that weird crunching sound if I creep forward or backward
Crunching noise while creeping forward is not typical for what a bad engine mount would do. So I correct myself. More likely, your axle, or wheel bearing, or brakes, or something like that. What is the condition of the boot on the passenger-side axle? Get down there and check it out.