5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lowering Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lowering Suggestions

So I bought a new set of wheels and tires and I'm looking to lower my car. Not looking to slam it, just enough to make it look nice and to get rid of the wheel gap. I had Tokico setup in my last maxima and liked it, but I like the features of a coilover setup with the ability to adjust the height and camber. I wont be taking it to the track or anything like that since it'll be my daily driver. I'm leaning on coilovers but don't know anything about which kind or brand to get...any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2017, 01:40 PM

BC Racing only.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 AM

pillowball mount coilovers will be harsher than re using strut mounts (tein ss)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Lowering options

Now you may come to a different conclusion but the only real option that I saw was BC racing BR type coilovers. I looked at the adjustable illumina's and they were $740 not including the springs and BC racing a complete setup was $995. Also you might want to be aware that with these cars if you lower any more than about an inch-and-a-half in the front for some reason the axles bind and vibrate real bad, or at least mine did. Sure you can lower it as much as you want but I found that when I lowered it past an inch and a half that I lost a lot of feedback in the steering wheel and it just generally did not want to turn nearly as well. So I will opinion of the BC racing BR type coilovers. You know I keep hearing everybody say that the pillow ball mount increases harshness and you know innocent that might be true in all explain why. You know I hear more impact vibrations and maybe a little bit more road noise but the actual impacts themselves or a lot smoother and I like how reactive the suspension is. Please forgive my typos I'm voice typing this.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:37 AM

I just installed the Tein Street Advance(SS replacements) coilovers on my 03 and I've got it slammed up front and bout as low as I can go in the rear...i love the look and the ride is a bit bumper than stock but that's to be expected with being low...only complaint I have is having the front so low, you get a loose steering feel up front whenever you are slow hitting bumps. Basically my steering wheel feels loose over bumps going slow.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:44 AM

axle vibration

[QUOTE=Robert Baker;9148876]Now you may come to a different conclusion but the only real option that I saw was BC racing BR type coilovers. I looked at the adjustable illumina's and they were $740 not including the springs and BC racing a complete setup was $995. Also you might want to be aware that with these cars if you lower any more than about an inch-and-a-half in the front for some reason the axles bind and vibrate real bad, or at least mine did. Sure you can lower it as much as you want but I found that when I lowered it past an inch and a half that I lost a lot of feedback in the steering wheel and it just generally did not want to turn nearly as well. So I will opinion of the BC racing BR type coilovers. You know I keep hearing everybody say that the pillow ball mount increases harshness and you know innocent that might be true in all explain why. You know I hear more impact vibrations and maybe a little bit more road noise but the actual impacts themselves or a lot smoother and I like how reactive the suspension is. Please forgive my typos I'm voice typing this.[/QUOTE

Please tell me more about this issue. I had a couple bent wheels on my car for a while and I noticed some vibration and clicking when turning left. I have new wheels on the car now, but no change. Would replacing the axle solve the issue or is this just a result of being to low? I also have torn boots and a leaking high pressure power steering hose.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Baker
Now you may come to a different conclusion but the only real option that I saw was BC racing BR type coilovers. I looked at the adjustable illumina's and they were $740 not including the springs and BC racing a complete setup was $995. Also you might want to be aware that with these cars if you lower any more than about an inch-and-a-half in the front for some reason the axles bind and vibrate real bad, or at least mine did. Sure you can lower it as much as you want but I found that when I lowered it past an inch and a half that I lost a lot of feedback in the steering wheel and it just generally did not want to turn nearly as well. So I will opinion of the BC racing BR type coilovers. You know I keep hearing everybody say that the pillow ball mount increases harshness and you know innocent that might be true in all explain why. You know I hear more impact vibrations and maybe a little bit more road noise but the actual impacts themselves or a lot smoother and I like how reactive the suspension is. Please forgive my typos I'm voice typing this.
Originally Posted by MaximaFan4140
I just installed the Tein Street Advance(SS replacements) coilovers on my 03 and I've got it slammed up front and bout as low as I can go in the rear...i love the look and the ride is a bit bumper than stock but that's to be expected with being low...only complaint I have is having the front so low, you get a loose steering feel up front whenever you are slow hitting bumps. Basically my steering wheel feels loose over bumps going slow.
Yea TEIN STREE ADVANCE is the way to go they utulize the stock strut mounts for comfy slamming.