5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima- Hasn't run in three years

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima- Hasn't run in three years

Hey guys-
Long story short- grandpa passed away and left me his 2000 Maxima. I've owned five Maximas and love them. However, it hasn't been started in about three years. It has about 70k on it. I'm heading down to see it on Sunday.

What steps do you recommend for a car that hasn't been started in that long?
I'm taking a new battery, changing the oil, draining the gas tank and putting new gas in. Can you all think of anything else I need to do to attempt to get it started?

Probably will need new tires, but other than that, seems to be in great shape. He babied it, took great care of it, garage kept, no rust.

Thanks-
Dave
Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM

I would put high mileage oil in and run the car for a while, maybe through 1 tank of gas, to let seals swell. If it runs well, I would run a can of Seafoam through another tank of gas, and do another oil change (again, using high mileage oil).
Check coolant and ATF level and condition.
Have a look at the air filter.
I would be concerned about rotors rusting and damaging pads after all this time. Maybe do a brake job, to make sure pins and pistons not seized.

Last edited by Tarzan; 06-01-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:29 PM

There are several videos on YouTube about this.

Drain all the gas out and fill it with new stuff
Change the oil and all other fluids, as they have probably broken down by now
More than likely will need a new battery
Check compression and fuel pressure, etc.
Crank it, but don't start it and listen for any abnormalities (this will also help build oil pressure)
Crank it and hope it starts
Old 06-02-2017, 01:50 AM

My 2000 was parked from 2010-2012. Wasn't stored properly (Just parked outside and everything was left as it was) and just needed a new battery. I didn't do any of the drain or change of fluids when I got it back up (Except for engine oil) and it was fine. I recommened not to do that, and follow SubwayVQ and Tarzans suggestions.

The biggest thing I would look out for are as Tarzan said, the brakes. Rotors are prone to rusting, especially when parked for a while. I would also check the belts for any dry wear.

One more thing, if I am reading this correctly, it was stored inside right? Mine was stored outside and the engine bay was filled with sand (High wind area). Last year I cleaned out the intake and air box and there was still lots of sand in it 4 years after reviving it.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The brake pads on my 97 fell apart upon removal after sitting for a few years. They could be shot as well.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:18 PM

My 03 Max has been sitting for almost 2 years and I just started it up yesterday. I had a baby and my car was too loud for a newborn so I barely drove it. After a little while the car started and shut off after 10 seconds. I never had time to diagnose it and just slowly bought parts I wanted to replace (it was the MAF..so simple). Anyways, I changed all fluids, replaced the battery and it started right up. No issues at all. I plan on changing the rotors and brake pads. I have cobra rotors and it sucks that those rusted as I don't know where to get new ones drilled out to our spec.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:32 PM

Are the rotors still machinable?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Are the rotors still machinable?
Not sure. I haven't taken them off and inspected them. I'll have to take it to my friends shop and see if he can machine them.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by superblack98se
Not sure. I haven't taken them off and inspected them. I'll have to take it to my friends shop and see if he can machine them.
Clean them up with scotchbright and wd40
Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 PM

@OP ...so did it start?