5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Replacement, Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Engine Replacement, Crank No Start

Howdy,

2002 6-speed

So I needed a new engine. . . : https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ome-input.html

I purchased one from an 05 with 110k from a recycler and spent the last week swapping stuff over.

I replaced/ changed over the following:
New throwout bearing
swapped all the accessories (alternator, belts, etc. )
Swapped rear exhuast header (05 had EGR hookup)
Swapped upper intake manifold (05 had EGR devices)
Swapped upper oil pan (different baffle and sensor location)
Swapped knock sensor harness (05 has different plugs)
Swapped fuel rail (05 has EGR devices)

I kept the wiring harness from my vehicle.

So, after getting everything back together, the thing cranks and cranks but does not start except for 3 random times.

It sounds like hollow popping noises as its cranking.

It did start and run for about 10 seconds until my girlfriend shut the car off due to "being scared by the exhaust smoke".... open headers currently

I have gotten to start 2 other times, but it died shortly after it started.

No codes, other than a P0335 for the crankshaft position sensor, which I think I caused when unplugging it one time.. I cleared it and it hasnt come back and replaced the sensor to no avail.

SO, Im just trying to determine if theres something I may have missed swapping from 02 -> 05 engine.

Or if anyone else has any solutions/ things to try/ troubleshooting tips.

If there's some more info needed, I can provide.

Help a guy out, I need my car back!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 PM
Father of the 00 VI

this may sound stupid but the only time this happen to me . was after my 3.5 swap. Wasn't proper grounding. I had the 3.0 grounding and it needed more and different for the 3.5.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
this may sound stupid but the only time this happen to me . was after my 3.5 swap. Wasn't proper grounding. I had the 3.0 grounding and it needed more and different for the 3.5.
Changed up the grounds, did not help, however...

When unplugging the Crankshaft Sensor the car starts and runs. I replaced it with a parts store CPS (dont judge me, already judged myself) and a junkyard one.. still wont start.

I am going to test with a multimeter later. . . I was thinking, how likely is it that I did not install the flywheel properly.. after all it was the first time dealing with a tranny, I forgot to mention that I had to swap the flywheel from my original engine to the donor, as it was auto.

For now, I shall run with an unplugged CPS and earplugs for the open headers (cracked rear cat flange)