5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

calling all lowered 5th gens

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:01 AM

calling all lowered 5th gens

Does lowering our car more than two inches cause premature axle wear resulting in mild vibration and clicking when turning left? How often will I have to replace my axles and how much should I expect it to cost? There is an old thread on replacement brand recommendations. Does anyone have any updated input?
Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 PM

So the answer is yes/no. i've lowered around 3" front and 2.5" rear giving me a rake. my axles do vibrate and my inner cv-boots are torn but these are aftermarket axles without counter-weights. i've been this low going on 2 years now, if you do the labor yourself replacing the axles will cost you more time than money as reman axles are about 100$ but make sure you get ones with counter-weights, it'll help with vibrations.
but even without counter-weights my vibration only happens taking off from redlights and its really not bad and dosent cause a pull or anything
current ride height, but i'm on 17x9 +35

When i torn my first cv axles being a coilover noob after install.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:51 AM

Yes, altering the vehicles ride height changes angles of just about every suspension and steering component.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:28 PM

Hey bro. I just lowered my 01 maxima se on BC BR type coilovers. I initially lowered it 2.5" and it looked awesome, but I tore a driver side axle boot in less than 10 miles and it had noticeable vibrations. These cv shafts needed replacing, in my opinion, so I knew what was going to happen. Picture this the cv shaft is horizontal at OEM ride height. A horizontal cv shaft is ideal for longevity, now ANY amount past OEM ride height will negatively affect cv shaft longevity. In my opinion, anything past 1.5 inches and your really stressing that cv shaft. I've heard of a dude who had custom motor mounts that added an inch to help with the cv shaft geometry.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:39 PM

Been lowered for 5 years, both axles were shot after about 4 years. Tein H tech, KYB shocks