5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finally Got my 5.5 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 AM

Finally Got my 5.5 Maxima

Hello all. I finally, got my 2003 Nissan Maxima SE delivered from Miami. I'll post some pictures soon as I plan on trying to get the windows tinted. Overall, the car is clean and fairly happy with it thus far. It does need a few thing and I did have a few questions.

Anyways, so my first question is should I disconnect my electric engine mounts?

Another question is what spare parts should I keep on hand? What brand and where to purchase them if there is a special place to buy them.

Another question is should I replace my precats and catalytic converter? The exhaust looks good and I have checked my oil twice. Thus far it looks really clean.

Also, any other preventative items I should do on the car so I don't have any issue or try to mitigate future issues?

The thing I did have to do to this car is put on newer tires. I knew the car had "Doral" tires and I would be taking my chances. I bought the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires for this car. I have to say what a difference in how this car drives and handles with these tires.

Anyways, I'll guess we'll see how it goes with the car. I've logged about a 120 miles on it so far. I do like how it drives and how quiet it is. Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:22 AM

Yes unplug your front motor mount.

Have a spare MAF sensor on hand. Hitachi only, can buy from RockAuto. A few Hitachi coil packs on hand will be good as well.

Precats are weird. Some people say they will blow no matter what, some never had it happen. I'm at 131k and mine are fine, I burn 0 oil. You can either gut them, buy headers, or buy aftermarket performance cats. Headers are what everyone leans towards, but finding a set of direct fit headers will be expensive. I'd suggest OBX.

Just change your oil and regular maintenance will keep the car running forever.