5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why does the rear window have to come out to replace the trim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why does the rear window have to come out to replace the trim?

I need to replace the trim on our '02 since it's shrinking and pulling up in one corner. Both a local auto glass shop and the Nissan dealership "think" the rear window comes out. Service guy at the dealership is quite sure it does need to come out, but not 100%.

Anyone have experience with this? It looks like it simply rests around the edges. It doesn't have an obvious lip that secures it to the edge of the glass or lips under it.

PRODUCT LINK <<<<< THIS IS THE PART I NEED<<<<<

Piece #3 shows it goes under glass.

Part # 3 in picture

Anyone have any alternatives? $400 installed seems steep to fix a small piece of rubber that doesn't sit flush. It occasionally flaps over onto the rear window with about 12-18" of slack in the upper right corner.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 11:16 PM
Administrator

If it's anything like the 4th gen, then the glass fits inside the rubber. Both the seal and glass have to be removed at the same time. Then the glass slips right out. Pain in the *** job, but I've done it several times....
Old 06-14-2017, 04:07 PM

As The Wizard said, this is how it is done. That is how it fits so snug & there are no leaks
Old 06-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The 4th gen seals are MUCH thicker. I looked at one a few months back when we were shopping for another max. I noticed the seal was bulging and saw how much it's integrated to the window.

There is still a caulk-like seal under the glass, but this is just a thin piece of trim. Barely bigger around than a ballpoint pen. No leaks that I have noticed in the 9 months we've owned it. And we just had a small tropical storm come through. The left corner peels up about 2-4" and the right corner is bad at over a foot along top and right edge has peeled back. I can stretch it and pop it back in for a week or two. Then the next temperature fluctuation pops it out
Old 12-16-2017, 03:27 PM

I got a bit of minor rust and fading clearcoat around the rear window, im considering pulling the rear window.
I the seal is shrinking around the corner allowing dirt & rain to get under.
I considered it may have been from rear end impact but i wasnt sure.
Also the tint has gotten so bad on mine i cant even see through the back window.

Is there an aftermarket seal that fits?