5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some help. :O

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need some help. :O

So I have owned my 2000 Maxima auto for over a year and never had any issues with it, besides the SES light on because I needed to replace the coils. After I replaced the coils I ran into some issues... and I am not sure where the issues are coming from.

Issue 1
1. After I replaced the coils, I got another code for the IACV, so I replaced it and it was fine for a few days. I get off the interstate going home from school and the car randomly goes into "limp mode(?). I drive it to where I work on it at and then the RPMS started to jump between 1500-2000 rpms and wouldn't stop. Gave it to a mechanic, since I couldn't figure it out and he did something and "fixed" it. Never really told me what he did. The car has been fine, until I drove it on a hot day with the A/C on and I shut the A/C off and it started to jump the RPMs again. Not sure what this issue is or what could be the cause?

2. When I accelerate it seems to not have as much power, from before and if I give it gas it sometimes will not shift before 6k+ RPMS. Generally happens around 2-3rd gear. Not sure what this issue is either?

3. The last issue has always been there since I got the car. When I turn off the A/C it still blows lightly on my feet and the temperature can still be adjusted. Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it
Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 PM

I'm leaning towards a faulty MAF sensor. They can sometimes put a car in limp mode, but it can also erratic idle such as what you described.

You can try cleaning it first, but it sounds like it needs to be replaced. Go with a Hitachi branded one.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by alexdkk
So I have owned my 2000 Maxima auto for over a year and never had any issues with it, besides the SES light on because I needed to replace the coils. After I replaced the coils I ran into some issues... and I am not sure where the issues are coming from.

Issue 1
1. After I replaced the coils, I got another code for the IACV, so I replaced it and it was fine for a few days. I get off the interstate going home from school and the car randomly goes into "limp mode(?). I drive it to where I work on it at and then the RPMS started to jump between 1500-2000 rpms and wouldn't stop. Gave it to a mechanic, since I couldn't figure it out and he did something and "fixed" it. Never really told me what he did. The car has been fine, until I drove it on a hot day with the A/C on and I shut the A/C off and it started to jump the RPMs again. Not sure what this issue is or what could be the cause?

2. When I accelerate it seems to not have as much power, from before and if I give it gas it sometimes will not shift before 6k+ RPMS. Generally happens around 2-3rd gear. Not sure what this issue is either?

3. The last issue has always been there since I got the car. When I turn off the A/C it still blows lightly on my feet and the temperature can still be adjusted. Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it
Re. #1: By now, you should be aware of the IACV issues common to all 5-gen Maximas. If not, read the document about ECU failure prevention (link in my signature).

Re.#2: This could be related to #1 above, or perhaps your MAF is bad. I suggest cleaning or replacing your MAF (you need to have a spare one anyway).

Re. #3: Huhhh, what are you trying to say???
Old 06-14-2017, 11:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Re. #1: By now, you should be aware of the IACV issues common to all 5-gen Maximas. If not, read the document about ECU failure prevention (link in my signature).

Re.#2: This could be related to #1 above, or perhaps your MAF is bad. I suggest cleaning or replacing your MAF (you need to have a spare one anyway).

Re. #3: Huhhh, what are you trying to say???
For number 3 it is quite literally what I said. Not sure how else to put it... uhm... Whether the a/c is turned on or not it constantly blows like it is on setting for feet. When the car says it is turned off I can still adjust the temperature *** and feel the temperature change depending on if I turn the temperature up or down. If this is still confusing then don't worry about it lol.

I will replace the MAF and see if that improves everything. Hopefully! Thank you.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by alexdkk
For number 3 it is quite literally what I said. Not sure how else to put it... uhm... Whether the a/c is turned on or not it constantly blows like it is on setting for feet. When the car says it is turned off I can still adjust the temperature *** and feel the temperature change depending on if I turn the temperature up or down. If this is still confusing then don't worry about it lol.
If you have pressed the OFF button on the control panel, the a/c compressor and blower are turned off OFF. The air intake door is set to outside air position, and the air outlet doors are set to foot position. Foot position is split 80% foot and 20% defrost.

So when the intake door is set to outside air, this will allow air to come into the car when the car is moving, so you may (and evidently do) feel it on your feet. The OFF button on the control panel does nothing that would prevent you from changing the air temperature like you are doing.

About the only thing you can do is instead of pressing the OFF button on the control panel, press the ECON and REC (recirculate) buttons.