5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6th gen front brakes VS. Powerstop.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:22 AM

6th gen front brakes VS. Powerstop.

Both have been discussed but it's been years and most of the threads don't go say much.

It's time for front brakes and I'm tired of the constant warping from the stock rotors or even the Brembo blanks (non-drilled/slotted) I've been running.

I know the 6th gen brakes are good and I can do that. I just don't want the extra rotating mass fighting acceleration.

Has anyone been running the Powerstop rotors for a while?

My main concern is the warping but any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 AM

I have always had bad luck with the Brembo blanks warping. The best ones I had were the Centric blanks. I now have the powerstops on for 3 months and they seem to be holding up well but too soon to report on them.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Has anyone been running the Powerstop rotors for a while?
My main concern is the warping but any feedback would be appreciated.
I have been now running Powerstops (rotors and pads) for almost 3.5 years and 25+K miles. I am VERY happy - no warping/pulsation and almost no dust.
And braking is very good, with just plain/standard rotors.

I too went through bad experience with my OEM brakes, and subsequently, with Brembo blanks. They both warped and pulsated badly. For whatever it's worth: Unlike with my Brembo's, I installed my Powerstops myself and took great care to ensure that the trailing edge of the pad contacts the rotor before the leading edge does (I call this a "positive angle of attack").
Old 07-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Thanks, are you using the drilled Powerstops?

I looked at the Centric blanks too. They're about twice the price.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
I have been now running Powerstops (rotors and pads) for almost 3.5 years and 25+K miles. I am VERY happy - no warping/pulsation and almost no dust.
And braking is very good, with just plain/standard rotors.

I too went through bad experience with my OEM brakes, and subsequently, with Brembo blanks. They both warped and pulsated badly. For whatever it's worth: Unlike with my Brembo's, I installed my Powerstops myself and took great care to ensure that the trailing edge of the pad contacts the rotor before the leading edge does (I call this a "positive angle of attack").
Thanks, that helps a lot. I've been reading a lot of reviews on all vehicles and they seem to be pretty consistent. Are you using the blanks or the drilled?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 AM

Thanks, that helps a lot. I've been reading a lot of reviews on all vehicles and they seem to be pretty consistent. Are you using the blanks or the drilled?
Just plain blanks, 5-gen size, their cheapest Pad+Rotor set. I bought them from RockAuto, and I think I paid like $135 for the entire set (4 wheels).
Old 07-06-2017, 11:16 AM

This is the kit I have:
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-06-2017, 01:48 PM

I have been always using OEM rotors and pads, and rotors warped very quickly. This last time I bought cheapest rotors from Rock Auto, as I figured I can keep slapping them on for less $$ than OEM even if the aftermarket rotors warp sooner. The difference in price is several times, and there is no way in hell the cheap ones would warp that many times sooner.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 PM

I have no experience with Powerstop but have heard good things. Centric is another well-regarded brand.

My Pilot is also a rotor warping monster. I'm considering Raybestos Advanced Tech rotors since they're supposedly heavy duty. The Maxi can benefit from HD gear as well.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Addicted to the Org

I purchased the powerstop KC091, which are drilled slotted for the 04-08 Maxima. I have had them for exactly one year now, and they are still holding up like new. U can get them off of Amazon for 282 with free shipping.

I really like the powdercoated calipers and caliper brackets
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 PM

I researched this for a quite a few hours, only problem is my memory is fuzzy. One brand and I want to think it's power stop but, it may not be, sells thicker discs. The guy showed pics in some forum and talk about he turned them 3 or 4 times and still had a crap ton of meat on them still.

Ultimately. i think i decided EBC discs and Akebono brakes. Buddy has had great luck with the EBC stuff on the highway patrol units and i was gonna go with the EBC pads he's putting on them too but, people had a lot to say about akebono pads.

here is my amazon saved list items.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

My buddy has done uncountable brakes over the decades and quite few for high priority/performance applications like the law enforcement. 99% of all discs come from china and are only end milled so EXPECT them to be warped out of the box, we bought a brake late, and throw every single set we install on the lathe first.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 PM

I researched this for a quite a few hours, only problem is my memory is fuzzy. One brand and I want to think it's power stop but, it may not be, sells thicker discs. The guy showed pics in some forum and talk about he turned them 3 or 4 times and still had a crap ton of meat on them still.

Ultimately. i think i decided EBC discs and Akebono brakes. Buddy has had great luck with the EBC stuff on the highway patrol units and i was gonna go with the EBC pads he's putting on them too but, people had a lot to say about akebono pads.

here is my amazon saved list items.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

My buddy has done uncountable brakes over the decades and quite few for high priority/performance applications like the law enforcement. 99% of all discs come from china and are only end milled so EXPECT them to be warped out of the box, we bought a brake late, and throw every single set we install on the lathe first.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 AM

Those thicker rotors must come with thinner pads, as how otherwise would they fit in the OEM calipers?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 AM

i have had 6th gen aftermarket blanks and not too many warping issues, i think i got a warp on one pair from extreme reasons, they feel pretty good on my 2nd pair and its been maybe 2.5 years and 50k miles.

rears i think are whacky now cuz i feel a lil something and am doubting is the front...

they other day i wondered what it would be like to have a car over an extended period of time w no warped rotors....

the one pro w the 6th gen rotors/pads is they last forever since the whole brake ratio is slightly off.... 60k plus on a pair of rotors and pads and they still have life when u replace them
Old 07-07-2017, 05:25 PM

I went ahead and ordered the Power Stop drilled rotors for 2002 and their carbon/ceramic pads. Same pads that come with the full brake kit they sell.

From Rock Auto
$40 for the pads
$80 for the pair of rotors
Plus a 5% coupon code
Old 07-07-2017, 05:54 PM

I went ahead and ordered the Power Stop drilled rotors for 2002 and their carbon/ceramic pads. Same pads that come with the full brake kit they sell.

From Rock Auto
$40 for the pads
$80 for the pair of rotors
Plus a 5% coupon code
That's actually not bad. I thought the combo would be in the $200s. I'm the type of person who would need to put drilled rotors in the rear to match the fronts lol.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
That's actually not bad. I thought the combo would be in the $200s. I'm the type of person who would need to put drilled rotors in the rear to match the fronts lol.
I probably will but the rears are still pretty fresh. When they wear out I'll look at it.
Also, I just ordered a set of Tein Street Advance coilovers for it so that should scratch the itch for a while.