5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

B-Pillar Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

B-Pillar Vibration

Got a loud metallic vibration sound coming from the bottom of the passenger B-pillar area, below the seat belt tensioner. Occurs when hitting sharp bumps (bridge joints or larger cracks in pavement, raised reflectors, etc).

I've tried the usual troubleshooting - listen, look, feel while the car is being driven, checked seats, door latches, window regulators, added foam in crevices, installed small amounts of dyanmat to try and dampen metal panels.

At this point I wonder if the sound might be due to a failed weld where the B-pillar connects to the undercarriage, which is not very accessible for inspection.

Anyone experience this?

Turn up the volume and turn the bass down (to drown out the road noise):
Old 08-05-2017, 12:16 PM

I am experiencing the same thing, just not as severe. Only really happens when I have my music too loud. Hopefully someone knows a fix.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:00 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Put a magnet ,a really strong one on a string in the cavity. Or a small flexible object

One of these two things happens.

1 a clip came off metal or plastic and is vibrating.
2 layers of metal flake off in the rocker below. hundreds of metal pieces vibrate in there.

Clean the area out . magnet and or compressed air. then cavity wax and foam vibrating areas