5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is needed to swap from manual to Automatic. (Endurance Racing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 PM

Swap out manual for automatic? (Endurance Racing)

I know... Slush boxes suck, so lets get that out of the way first!

A rules update in 2017 made it so our car started the race with several penitently laps. Bit, if we swap out our very nice 6 speed Helical limited-slip transmission with an automatic, that will put our car under the penitently laps point value. And give us a bit of room to install a large transmission cooler.

Now, what would I need to make this happen? Here is my best guess list, can any experts chime in?
  • Axles
  • Entire wiring harness
  • ECU
  • Speedo cluster
  • Shifter, mount, wire.
Thanks!

Last edited by Mike - Bromance Racing; 09-20-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:10 AM

You can have all my auto parts from my '02. It has a Transgo HD2 VB with 20k on the shift solenoids. Just give the car back to me with all the 6 speed parts installed. :-D :-D I thought this car was up for sale.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by T00Lbox
You can have all my auto parts from my '02. It has a Transgo HD2 VB with 20k on the shift solenoids. Just give the car back to me with all the 6 speed parts installed. :-D :-D I thought this car was up for sale.
Ha! It is for sale, but if no one bites, I'll have to start thinking about getting it ready for next season. So while it's ready to go now, a new team could hit the track running and start turning some very fast laps. We've been racing for a few years now, and I want to make sure we start under the 500 point bracket.

I've been looking for donor cars, and found several automatic version near by cheap. If anything I'll have lots of parts cars to pick from!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:34 PM

I hope you keep the car or someone buys it and races it. I know that it is quiet in here but im sure everyone that owns a 5th gen or even a maxima appreciates seeing this. It is really refreshing to see someone actually racing one of these cars instead of the normal 'roll racing on the highway with my disco headlights, check me out on instagram, hashtag something relevant, facebook bullshet.' Keep having fun!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:42 PM

I know this is off-topic, and maybe you've covered it in another post, but could you comment on any chasis mods/stiffening have you done?

Originally Posted by T00Lbox
I hope you keep the car or someone buys it and races it. I know that it is quiet in here but im sure everyone that owns a 5th gen or even a maxima appreciates seeing this. It is really refreshing to see someone actually racing one of these cars instead of the normal 'roll racing on the highway with my disco headlights, check me out on instagram, hashtag something relevant, facebook bullshet.' Keep having fun!
Amen to that
Old 09-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TSelanne
could you comment on any chasis mods/stiffening have you done?
Well, we did tack weld the cage to the roof the the car to stiffen it up a bit. Also the rear roll bars connect right next to rear shock mounts. We installed the 1inch lowering springs. We swapped all of the bushings with composite something (they were red). We created an adjustable rear sway bar, from a mustang. And we made the brake adapter so we could run the larger infiniti brakes in the front.

I'm sure there are others, but that is the bigger bullet points

And a photo, because I can...