5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear valve cover surprise

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear valve cover surprise

I replaced my rear valve cover last night. The job went without incident, although I haven't started the car yet since I'm waiting for the RTV to cure.

5 years ago, when I replaced my plugs at 100K, 2 of my spark plug tubes in the rear valve cover were full of oil. Since I wasn't prepared to do anything about the valve cover at that time, I just cleaned out the oil, changed my plugs and left the valve cover alone.

Since the car has recently started to leak oil, I figured the valve cover would be the obvious source. I went with an aftermarket valve cover and an OEM gasket.

Anyway, when I removed the coil packs, all 3 spark plug tubes were completely dry! However, it did look like oil was leaking from the firewall side of the cover.

In addition, when I removed the valve cover, all 3 spark plug seals looked perfectly intact. They weren't dried out, cracked or anything. the whole cover looked good, in fact. Maybe I could have just replaced the gasket. Who knows.

Weird.

Hopefully replacing the cover/gasket will stop the leak.

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I just thought I'd pass it along.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM

I enjoyed the read, very curious.

Perhaps the seals resealed once you removed the cover and put it back on.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:11 AM

Curious indeed. Sounds like one oil change gone wrong, or another hazard.
I am having a bit of oil leaking into the plug well on one cylinder of my Honda Pilot right now, and going to take care of that once the parts arrive for a valve adjustment job. Only one cylinder, go figure!