5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

odd squealing noise !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

odd squealing noise !!!

Sooo... I just drove from Syracuse to Connecticut (250 miles) and everything on my car was fine. I woke up this morning and drove my car and it started making this high pitch squealing noise near the front passenger side, the noise is on and off and does it whenever it wants but the noise doesn't take place during idle . NO its not my brakes or pads or rotors those were all literally changed less than a month ago ... SO any suggestions as to what the problem might be ???
Old 09-17-2017, 10:14 PM

Sounds like the accessory belt. It could be loose or wearing out.

That's the most likely cause.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 AM

Check the belts. Also check to see if you can see any wobble coming from the crankshaft pulley. They are made in two parts and bonded in the middle. Apparently it's a common failure. I replaced mine because of that exact symptom. In my case, it became evident when I noticed that my AC/Alternator belt was not squarely centered on the tensioner pulley. The outer ring of the crankshaft pulley had started "walking" inward and was pulling the belt off track with it. It had also started digging into the edge of the power steering belt and that was starting to fray.

I replaced the crank pulley with a cheap unit off of Amazon ($30), replaced the belts for the power steering and the AC/Alternator, and have not had a problem since.

So if your belts look OK, but still squealing, see if while the engine is running you see any noticeable "Wobble" in the crank pulley. It could be that.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 AM

Sound advice given so far. +1 on checking the belts and idler pulley. If you see any kind of play in the pulley, it could be the nut or the bearings. But if its a squealing noise, most likely bearings.

Check power steering hose as well.. if there's a leak, the system can lose pressure and cause an annoying noise from the pump.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 AM

There are a lot of possibilities. It could also be a bad bearing in the alternator, the a/c compressor or the belt tensioner pulley.