5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen maxima sunroof moonroof adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM

5th gen sunroof moonroof adjustment information

I've been looking through old threads on how to adjust my sunroof on my 01 Nissan maxima SE. Couldn't find any relevant information so I opened my FSM to Body and Trim page 56.

Things you will need:
10mm wrench
Philips screwdriver
2-8 washers
(possibly destructive instruments to remove stuck plastic fasteners)
(possible replacement plastic fasteners from Autozone/Oriely's/etc.)

First sit in your car. Then to adjust the resting height of a fully closed sunroof there are two black plastic trim pieces located on the interior side of the sunroof. There are 4 built in studs that bolt to the tracks with 4 nuts which you will see after removing the platic covers. Loosen or remove the nuts that secure the sunroof with a 10mm wrench and shim (add washers, or remove) to the desired height. You will have to loosen all 4 nuts, or remove to get the clearance you need without binding the sunroof when you push it up so you will be able to slip the washers or shims underneath. When the desired height is achieved you can align the sunroof by closing it with all nuts slightly loose, and when the sunroof is fully closed tighten all the nuts down with a 10mm wrench. It was very simple and anyone with any skill level should be able to achieve desired results. This all took maybe 30 minutes start to finish after a couple of test fits and having to find the washers. Might want to get some replacement plastic fastener screws because I had to get nasty with one that refused to loosen.

I wanted to put this information out there since I was unable to find it. The FSM is more technical with pictures and such that are confusing so I hope this simplified the procedure.

Last edited by Robert Baker; 09-23-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 PM

Thanks for this. Mine leaks when I go through the car wash.....probably needs this adjustment