5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:51 AM

Quick question

Hey guys, and gals! I'm new to the forum, but not to my 2000 A33. My parents were the original owners of it, and passed it down to me. It's the VQ30, 5-speed, GXE. I had found a spoiler off an SE model at the scrapyard today, and when I got home to install it my mom came into the garage, and told me that the suspension of the SE I took the spoiler off of is way more aggressive than the GXE, so it got me thinking. Is the GXE, and the SE between the years of 00-03 practically the exact same car? I'm asking because I was wondering if a lot of the parts would be direct fit from an SE onto my GXE? As in shocks, struts, intake manifold, clutch, flywheel, rotors, pads, etc.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:32 AM

yea....
Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by zskot75
Hey guys, and gals! I'm new to the forum, but not to my 2000 A33. My parents were the original owners of it, and passed it down to me. It's the VQ30, 5-speed, GXE. I had found a spoiler off an SE model at the scrapyard today, and when I got home to install it my mom came into the garage, and told me that the suspension of the SE I took the spoiler off of is way more aggressive than the GXE, so it got me thinking. Is the GXE, and the SE between the years of 00-03 practically the exact same car? I'm asking because I was wondering if a lot of the parts would be direct fit from an SE onto my GXE? As in shocks, struts, intake manifold, clutch, flywheel, rotors, pads, etc.
The difference between the trim packages is very minor and nearly everything should swap between them. The difference between 00/01 and 02/03 is another story.

Should be mostly the same suspension parts for all years. The SE does have a slightly stiffer suspension but I don't think it's worth swapping unless yours is bad and the junk car is a known low mileage car. The SE also has a larger sway bar. Some of the mounts are different from MT and auto. It's best to check on individual parts.

The motor, trans and brakes are different on the 02/03. The intake manifold, clutch, flywheel, rotors, pads, etc... wont swap.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 10-09-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:52 AM

Thanks a bunch Derrick! I loved how you broke everything down nicely, and comprehensively. I guess it isn't worth it it seems to upgrade my GXE when I can just get an SE. for a fraction of the price of what it would cost to buy all the parts to swap into my GXE.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by zskot75
Thanks a bunch Derrick! I loved how you broke everything down nicely, and comprehensively. I guess it isn't worth it it seems to upgrade my GXE when I can just get an SE. for a fraction of the price of what it would cost to buy all the parts to swap into my GXE.
I don't think it's even worth swapping cars at this time if you just want a performance upgrade. Even a nice SE will have a mostly worn out suspension. Just step up and get a nice set of coilovers and find an SE sway bar. Replacing the old mounts and bushings with urethane pieces from Energy Suspension will do wonders for that car.

The GXE was basically the base model. Cloth, manual seats, no sunroof etc... with choice of trannys.

The GLE was fully loaded with auto. Very few options.

The SE could be had either stripped or fully loaded and gave a choice of trannys.

A fully loaded SE with the MT might be an upgrade if you want the stuff but not as a performance upgrade.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I don't think it's even worth swapping cars at this time if you just want a performance upgrade. Even a nice SE will have a mostly worn out suspension. Just step up and get a nice set of coilovers and find an SE sway bar. Replacing the old mounts and bushings with urethane pieces from Energy Suspension will do wonders for that car.

The GXE was basically the base model. Cloth, manual seats, no sunroof etc... with choice of trannys.

The GLE was fully loaded with auto. Very few options.

The SE could be had either stripped or fully loaded and gave a choice of trannys.

A fully loaded SE with the MT might be an upgrade if you want the stuff but not as a performance upgrade.
this !