5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Start and stall fixed with fuse pull

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Start and stall fixed with fuse pull

2001 Maxima with 360k. Starts and idles at around 1200 for a second or two and then idles down to stall out. Does this repeatedly and will not run. I thought out was the fuel filter. It was fine. Seems the fix I've found is to pull the 15amp fuel pump fuse and reinstall. It then restarts. Last time ran for 3 weeks no problems. Occurred again yesterday. Pulled fuse, reinstalled, started right up. Still running today. Looking for suggestions. I'm going to throw in a new fuse add it has some minor dirt/corrosion on it. Wondering if anyone can tell me if the symptom and fix points to anything obvious...ie fuel pump relay/ corroded fuse and wires on the back side etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok then. Does anyone know what system or component pulling that fuse would reset, if any?
Old 10-14-2017, 03:55 PM

The fuel pump fuse is fuse # 29. If that truly is the fuse you pulled, it only supplies power to the fuel pump - nothing else.

As such, I don't understand how this fuse could cause a problem or what gets reset by pulling this fuse. If there is a bad connection somewhere in the wiring, that could always cause a problem and finding that bad connection could be a challenge.

The flow of electricity starts with the battery, through fuse # C to the ignition switch, to fuse # 29, the to fuel pump relay and then to the fuel pump.

Why the engine would idle at 1200 rpm is interesting.

There is another fuse involves with the fuel pump. It is fuse # 17. This fuse supplies power to 7 things, the fuel pump relay and the fuel injectors.

The flow of electricity for this fuse starts with the battery, through fuse # C to the ignition switch, then splits and goes to the energizing coil of the to fuel pump relay and to the fuel injectors.

The ECU is what energizes the fuel pump relay to connect the fuel pump the power from fuse # 29. The way the fuel system is designed is that the ECU has to be sensing the pulses from the flywheel crankshaft sensor CKPS[POS]. If the ECU does nor get those pulses, it will shut the fuel pump off. Maybe you should check the crankshaft sensor, see that it is not chipped and that the tip is not covered with gunk.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok. 3rd fuse in from the lower right. 15amp. Yes i agree that's why i was curious what it may reset. This has fixed it both times. I was thinking a couple things to include an issue with a dirty connection in the fuse area hence restriction or impeding the electricity. When I say idles... Start's and sits at 1000 or 1200 whatever the isle is and quickly idles down to stalling like a lack of fuel. Like the injectors pulse and it fires but the pump does not continue running to supply enough fuel to keep it running.
The other thought was the crank sensor but I was hoping to save that for last resort and figured it was not the issue when this fuse pull fix (if thats what it was) popped up. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited by Trapnm; 10-14-2017 at 10:31 PM.