5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vacuum leak after intake removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Vacuum leak after intake removal

So I just got done pulling off my upper intake plenum to re-torque my rear spark plugs, and everything went fine. Car started and runs good. However, I can now hear what sounds like a vacuum leak. It’s a hissing sound. I sprayed brake cleaner around all the hoses I removed, but the idle never changed.

One thing that did happen though is I snapped off the bolt that holds the rear O2 sensor bracket to the back of the intake. The head snapped off and it’s cross threaded in the back of the intake now. I don’t know if that bolt can cause a vacuum leak, but I was gonna put some JB-Weld over it to seal any leaks possible. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:34 PM

Hissing is normal its your aux air in the T.B.

Hit the throttle manually a few times you'll hear it as the plate opens.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's a 2002 with the 3.5

If I can't sort it out by the end of the weekend, I'm gonna say screw it and just drive it. I drove it already and haven't noticed anything to raise concerns.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:23 PM

It doesn't make a difference what year
When the car is at idle it sucks air into the plenum. It passes through a small opening usually in the T.B. causing a hissing noise.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
It doesn't make a difference what year
When the car is at idle it sucks air into the plenum. It passes through a small opening usually in the T.B. causing a hissing noise.
are you suggesting a noise he did not previously hear has been there all along?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 PM

OK he's got a leak then?
Well he checked everything with BP cleaner!
Maybe he cleaned the Throttle so well and its.like a whistle Now?
I have this noise too and rebuilt the whole throttle area and it's in the throttle.

Last edited by maximatech12; 10-19-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:08 PM

I didn't clean anything, only pulled the upper plenum off to tighten the rear plugs and then slapped it all back together. The hissing is definitely coming from the back where that bolt snapped. I'm gonna try putting JB-Weld over it and see if it fixes it.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:12 PM

are you talking about the suction noise when you open the throttle real fast?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:46 PM

Yeah that's what I figured he was hearing but also the Ivt/iacv noise.
This member had a similar issue.
Cracked intake plenum - Maxima Forums
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/695708-cracked-intake-plenum.html
Old 10-20-2017, 09:13 AM

He probably has a vacuum hose that got pulled off or broke that he didn't realize and as such didn't do the spray in the correct spot.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:21 PM

If the broken bolt were causing the leak you could put your finger over it and stop the leak. Those mount bolts don't go all the way through.

A vacuum leak will be a steady hiss at idle. It will tend to go away when the throttle is opened as that reduces vacuum.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:32 PM

I put my finger over it and did not feel anything or stop the hissing. I'm really stumped on this. It is definitely coming from the same area, but I sprayed everything over there with brake clean. PCV hose, hose connecting both VC's, brake booster hose, block off plate, elbow gasket, TB gasket, plenum gasket, and still nothing.

It may have been there the whole time and I never payed attention until now? I don't know, but the car is not running anymore rich/lean than it was before, so I don't think it's a huge deal.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
I put my finger over it and did not feel anything or stop the hissing. I'm really stumped on this. It is definitely coming from the same area, but I sprayed everything over there with brake clean. PCV hose, hose connecting both VC's, brake booster hose, block off plate, elbow gasket, TB gasket, plenum gasket, and still nothing.

It may have been there the whole time and I never payed attention until now? I don't know, but the car is not running anymore rich/lean than it was before, so I don't think it's a huge deal.
The noise may have always been there. It's different when you actively listen with the hood open. If it's a leak you can hear there would probably be a rough idle.