5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen issues and problems that I'm having

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 AM

5th gen issues and problems that I'm having

If anyone knows the answers to my issues, that would be greatly appreciated.

•front right side popping when I go over rough bumps and pot holes. Sounds really rough .
•when accelerating from a stop I hear a metallic rattling sound, and when it gets into higher rpm before gear change exhaust gets louder in the cabin and motor gets louder. Cars should be pretty quiet with factory exhaust.
•check engine (catalyst bank 2 ) code. Not sure what that means
•burns oil, changed plugs and ignition coil to back left one.
•gas gauge isn't right once gets to under half tank car quits and acts like it's out of gas so I put gas in it and works fine. Is the gauge messed up or something in the tank?
• bolt on driver side spoiler is missing, where or what kind of bolt do I need for that?,
• is there a smaller spoiler lip I can put on the trunk instead of the big OEM one?

If anyone can tell me some common problems to look for or answers to these problems I'm having I would greatly appreciate it. Just trying to take care of this maxima that someone failed to maintain.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:08 AM

What year/engine?

​​
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 AM

2003, 3.5
Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kjizzle
•front right side popping when I go over rough bumps and pot holes. Sounds really rough .
Could be many things; strut mount, ball joint, sway bar end link, control arm bushings...
•when accelerating from a stop I hear a metallic rattling sound, and when it gets into higher rpm before gear change exhaust gets louder in the cabin and motor gets louder. Cars should be pretty quiet with factory exhaust.
Could be your cats? Need a better description. See below.
•check engine (catalyst bank 2 ) code. Not sure what that means
•burns oil, changed plugs and ignition coil to back left one.
These two issues are likely related. Your cats are probably fouled and damaged and have been backed into the combustion chamber damaging the cylinder walls and rings.
•gas gauge isn't right once gets to under half tank car quits and acts like it's out of gas so I put gas in it and works fine. Is the gauge messed up or something in the tank?
Your cluster is busted, it can be repaired if you completely tear it down and resolder the resistors that feed the fuel level sensor circuit.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM

It is likely that you have an exhaust leak at your cat and you are getting a bad reading from your o2 sensor. The rattle is probably a heat shield. Mine used to rattle terribly.

You need to have someone look at the right front suspension to make sure everything is good. Sounds like your sway bar or ball joints are bad, but could also be the strut mount.

The gas gauge can be replaced on its own if you can source one from a junkyard or something, however you can try to re-solder it or just replace the entire cluster with one from the junkyard. The last option would make it so that your odometer doesn't show the correct mileage.

Many of the 3.5's burn oil. There's some ways to fix this but the easiest way is to install a catch can and just occasionally dump it back into the crank case when it fills up IF it is burning the oil via the vacuum hose that connects to the intake.

As for your spoiler, there are clips and bolts that hold it on. These come loose and break all the time. There are options for spoilers, but I doubt there's any that would cover up the holes that will be left in the trunk. May need to replace it or rig something up so that it stays connected to the trunk.

You should search this forum for each of these topics to find out your best course of action.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
It is likely that you have an exhaust leak at your cat and you are getting a bad reading from your o2 sensor. The rattle is probably a heat shield. Mine used to rattle terribly.

You need to have someone look at the right front suspension to make sure everything is good. Sounds like your sway bar or ball joints are bad, but could also be the strut mount.

The gas gauge can be replaced on its own if you can source one from a junkyard or something, however you can try to re-solder it or just replace the entire cluster with one from the junkyard. The last option would make it so that your odometer doesn't show the correct mileage.

Many of the 3.5's burn oil. There's some ways to fix this but the easiest way is to install a catch can and just occasionally dump it back into the crank case when it fills up IF it is burning the oil via the vacuum hose that connects to the intake.

As for your spoiler, there are clips and bolts that hold it on. These come loose and break all the time. There are options for spoilers, but I doubt there's any that would cover up the holes that will be left in the trunk. May need to replace it or rig something up so that it stays connected to the trunk.

You should search this forum for each of these topics to find out your best course of action.
thanks , I will definitely take the cluster apart and check the resistors. I would try that first.

the burning of oil dosent leak anywhere but around the ignition coils I got the spark plug tube seals but I heard they are non repairable. Not sure if that's true or not. Or if it's even leaking there I just see wet oil a little bit around the front 3.

I'll run by the exhaust shop to see if they can find a leak as well. I want it to sound factory instead of putting exhaust on it.

the spoiler I'll just try to find some bolts at Lowe's and nuts to keep it on there for now.

Are there any other problems that happen to these maximsas I need to worry about before something bad happens.

Thanks for the help man!