5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gen 4 5-speed swap into a 5th Gen Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 06:04 PM

Gen 4 5-speed swap into a 5th Gen Max

Quick intro: So my daily driver since 2011 has been my 1999 Maxima SE 5-speed. I love this car as it is a blast to drive and love the 5-speed, but the rust has gotten out of hand and feel it is no longer safe to drive. Enter my “new” 2000
Maxima SE auto"><span style=Maxima SE auto" /> Maxima SE auto">Maxima SE auto
. Just bought this for $400. Been sitting for nearly two years with flat
tires"><span style=tires" /> tires">tires
, a major exhaust leak and a dead battery. Three days later with my ‘99
wheels"><span style=wheels" /> wheels">wheels
& tires & battery, a solid exhaust system patch repair, new spark plugs & ignition capacitor, oil & filter & tranny fluid & filter changes, she is now my new daily driver. Overall, running decent with a few minor things to work through!

So my main question is, what is it going to take to transfer everything 5-speed related from my Generation 4 (1999) to my Generation 5 (2000)? Is this even possible? I have a complete running & driving ’99 Max.

So far from reading posts, I believe the 5-speed trannys were the same from '95-'02, so the tranny itself should be a bolt in. What I'm not sure of, will the '99 axles bolt into the '00? The front brake rotors appear to have changed from 4th Gen to 5th Gen, so I'm not sure what the axle to rotor relationship will be. Next is the pedal package, hoping my '99 pedal package (clutch brake pedal) will bolt right into my '00. Anybody tried this yet?

Finally, my weakness is electronics/computers/sensors! Will my '00 ECM go wacko if I take its beloved auto tranny away from it and introduce a foreign 5-speed to it. Are there parts/sensors/etc. in my '99 that I can swap over that will make my '00 happy with the 5-speed set up?

The auto tranny in the 2000 is shifting fine, especially with the new fluid poured in. I currently need to work through a P0740 TCC solenoid circuit/open fault, but besides this the tranny is shifting and acting overall good, but the car has 200K miles on it and I don’t know the maintenance history, who knows how long this slush box will last and I know the 5-speed can last a long long time, plus it’s a blast to drive a stick!

So your wisdom, knowledge & experience is greatly appreciated and I look forward to your replies!
Old 12-17-2017, 03:47 AM

Your ecu will throw codes for the tranny but ive heard on other car fourms that you can jump the wiring harness to make the ecu think it is in neutral. Swaping in the ecu from a manual 00-01 max would be the better option though.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
Your ecu will throw codes for the tranny but ive heard on other car fourms that you can jump the wiring harness to make the ecu think it is in neutral. Swaping in the ecu from a manual 00-01 max would be the better option though.
Thanks MadMax SE! I will do some searching for this jumper procedure, as that would be ideal! Planning this swap for early spring so I have time...Antone know does my 5-speed tranny have any sensors feeding the ECU in my '99?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 AM

There's only 1 sensor on the manuals; speed. There are two other switches; reverse and neutral.

The speed signal goes to the dash, then the ECU. The Neutral switch goes to the ECU. The reverse switch is just for the lights.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:31 PM

So the urgency of this swap just took a drastic turn. Today, my auto tranny took a dump on me, pretty sure it is toast. Its been very cold here in Indy (and everywhere!) and shifts have been long and slushy in my daily commute. Today after an uneventful hour freeway drive and sitting in a parking lot engine off for 30-40 minutes, when I went to leave my parking spot, the tranny suddenly popped into a neutral type state with whurring and light grinding noises, no power to the wheels at all. Put it in park shut engine off, re-started put it in drive and slight grinding noises and the speedometer raised a little like the car thought it was moving, but no wheel movement like its in neutral but with noises. When I rev the gas in drive, the speedo goes up, but car won't move. Then when I go back to park, the tranny grinds to a stop (tranny is spinning as though the car is moving, so parking pawl is grinding?) Checked the fluid; full red/unburnt, as I did a drain & fill about a month ago

Is there any hope for this transmission? I did not think to check codes at the time and my car currently sits about an hour away, so can't run codes for a day or two when I get my car home. Could this be as simple as a solenoid failure/replacement? I have had the P0740 TCC solenoid circuit open since I bought the car. Car has 201K and I don't know it maintenance history, owned it about a month.

For the 5-speed swap, a few more urgent questions?
1) Does my 2000 SE auto car have a TCM/TCU? Or is it built into the ECM?
2) If there is a TCM and I pull the auto tranny & TCM and bolt in the 5-speed, how will my ECM respond. (Remember I have a Gen 4 5-speed complete donor car.) 3) What electronically can a swap over from my "99 to make my '00 ECM happy?

I appreciate any help or suggestions anyone provides. Too dang cold to swap a tranny now, but I'm down a car so might not have a choice! Thanks! Nut
Old 01-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not to hijack your thread, but would a 5 speed from a 4th gen drop in a 5th gen manual car? My 5speed (w/ lsd) took a dump and the transmission shop wants $1400..
Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 PM

From everything I have researched, the 5-speed gearbox did not change from the 4th Generation to the 5th Generation, should bolt right in
Old 01-21-2018, 07:14 AM

Just an update, I have given up on the prospect of installing my Gen 4 5-speed set up into my Gen 5 Max, just could not get enough information to make me feel confident this swap is possible. Installing a $395 50K JDM tranny, gonna stick with a slush box in my '00 MAX. I am going to keep my eye out for clean Gen 4 for sale for cheap for swapping or just sell everything. If anyone needs Gen 4 parts, I will be parting out my rusty '99 in the Spring 2018.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies!! Love this forum!