5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6-speed tranny part number location???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

6-speed tranny part number location???

Ill make this short and sweet. Looking to grab a HLSD tranny from a junkyard off a 04 maxima. The JY doesnt know how to identify the tranny as being HLSD rather than the normal open diff 6 speed - their carpart website listing says its HLSD but the guy I talked to said he wasnt certain if it was or not. They gave me the VIN which shows the car as being an automatic, so going by the firewall plate is not an option since the tranny was apparently swapped in and the tag no longer accurate.

How can you identify whether or not the tranny is HLSD? I know about the "RS6F51H" tag but is that located somewhere on the tranny itself or only on the firewall plate? Is there some way of telling just by looking at it? Scoured across google and couldnt find anything that helped other than people saying to look at the firewall plate (which, again, doesnt help me in this situation). The JY is hours away so its not like I can go look at it myself either - the guy on the phone said if I can figure out how to tell the difference he'd check it out for me.

Hopefully going to go grab it by the end of the week if its the right tranny. Any advice here greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Ill make this short and sweet. Looking to grab a HLSD tranny from a junkyard off a 04 maxima. The JY doesnt know how to identify the tranny as being HLSD rather than the normal open diff 6 speed - their carpart website listing says its HLSD but the guy I talked to said he wasnt certain if it was or not. They gave me the VIN which shows the car as being an automatic, so going by the firewall plate is not an option since the tranny was apparently swapped in and the tag no longer accurate.

How can you identify whether or not the tranny is HLSD? I know about the "RS6F51H" tag but is that located somewhere on the tranny itself or only on the firewall plate? Is there some way of telling just by looking at it? Scoured across google and couldnt find anything that helped other than people saying to look at the firewall plate (which, again, doesnt help me in this situation). The JY is hours away so its not like I can go look at it myself either - the guy on the phone said if I can figure out how to tell the difference he'd check it out for me.

Hopefully going to go grab it by the end of the week if its the right tranny. Any advice here greatly appreciated.
If everything goes smoothy, I should be removing the transmission in a couple days, I will look and tell you if I find any markings.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have the HLSD transmission plate code on the firewall, but when I put my VIN into some of those VIN search sites and it came back as an automatic. I tried a few more sites until I found a couple which had the VIN listed with the 6 speed manual.

Last edited by flames101sully; 03-05-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by flames101sully
If everything goes smoothy, I should be removing the transmission in a couple days, I will look and tell you if I find any markings.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have the HLSD transmission plate code on the firewall, but when I put my VIN into some of those VIN search sites and it came back as an automatic. I tried a few more sites until I found a couple which had the VIN listed with the 6 speed manual.
Awesome man, looking forward to hearing from you. I tried a ton of websites and the VIN is giving me all sorts of different answers as far as what tranny it has. Gonna have to see if the tranny is still with the donor car because if it is then the guy at the JY could simply check the firewall tag.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:01 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Slamrod

If you're at the yard and can't find it (should be on the vin plate of course), then just pull the driver's side CV. If you can see through it, then you're good to go.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
If you're at the yard and can't find it (should be on the vin plate of course), then just pull the driver's side CV. If you can see through it, then you're good to go.
Totally forgot about this. I knew it was a thing with the VLSD's but i didnt think about it being a thing with the HLSD's. The JY is like 3 1/2 hours away so i cant check myself - however either the tranny is with the car (and thus i can go by the firewall tranny code afterall) or its off and i can ask the guy to check for me.

Last edited by Slamrod; 03-06-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Nice upgrade. You're going to like it.
Try and get the bracket that holds the shifter cables too. The 6th gen had a beefier design and I've heard of a few 5.5 brackets breaking.