5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Evap Purge Valve Replaced and functioning light remains

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:30 AM

2002 Evap Purge Valve Replaced and functioning light remains

Guys I am at the end of my wits here. Evap purge valve was stuck open 12 months ago. I replaced every part of the system back then, and the light never went away, it would go on and off once in a while a day after driving in the rain, fast forward 12 months later inspections came around again, and all lines have been smoke and vacuum tested, and sensors have been extensively checked

Nissan - Evap Canister
Dorman -Evap Pressure Volume Control Valve (Evap PVCV) (engine side)
Dorman - Evap Vent Control Valve (attached to canister) (this was replaced a 2nd time during final extensive checks on the entire system)
Dorman - Evap Vacuum Cut Valve
Nissan - Gas Cap (edit i replaced that as well)

Currently light just came back on after being reset two times after failing inspections and replacing purge valve for 2nd time. I refuse to scrap this car over evap issues. This is crazy.? i don't know what else to do, and what's scarier is the shop hinted at not knowing what else to do, since they extensively checked everything and it all works fine.

Only thing I can think of is OEM Purge valve? isntead of dorman?

Last edited by Prophecy99; 08-23-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:03 AM

i must mention after studying more , very very recently, every now and then the engine has been stalling during coasting and idling, only during slowing down coasting and or traffic light idling, nothing else, and it starts back up no prob and no extra lights.

how can i just get this thing pass, i never knew Evap purge valve could effect the engine as much as it does.
Bad Purge Valve Symptoms
1) Engine Misfire

If your car's engine misfires frequently or doesn't run smoothly, it could be that the purge valve has gone bad. The valve fails to open on time, because of which, excessive fuel vapors start collecting in the charcoal canister. If this situation continues, these vapors can flood the engine cylinders, resulting in an abnormal fuel mixture getting created and burned. This causes the engine to misfire and choke.

2) Failure to Clear Emission Tests

Every car on the road is required to pass the sate-sanctioned emission test, which imposes an upper-limit on the various gases and pollutants that come out through a car's exhaust. If the canister purge valve malfunctions, it may be unable to redirect the fuel vapors back into the emission system. These vapors contain harmful hydrocarbons, which will then escape through the car's exhaust, and therefore show up in the emission tests. Thus, if your car fails the emission test, its purge valve may be at fault.

3) Damaged Gaskets

A normally functioning purge valve releases fuel vapors into the charcoal canister, where they are stored until they are recycled. A bad purge may not open to allow these vapors to pass. As a result, pressure will start to build inside the system. This pressure can be so intense that it can blow out the gasket and rubber seals, causing oil to leak and get sprayed out of the emission system and onto the engine and engine compartment. If left unresolved, this will create even more severe issues.

4) Damaged Spark Plugs

A faulty purge valve may by unable to redirect the fuel vapors into the engine's cylinders for combustion. As a result, an unnecessarily rich fuel and air mixture will get combusted during each cycle of the engine. This produces extra heat, which in the long run will wear out the spark plugs. Thus, if your car's spark plugs seem to have worn out earlier than expected, most likely, the purge valve in your car is not functioning properly.
In case your car is showing one or more of these symptoms, it is advisable to get the purge valve inside it checked. If it is found to be faulty, it should be either repaired or replaced immediately.
no i am starting to worry, but car has been driving fine and mpg has been totally fine, oil has been good, intial acceleration has been very weak though more than ever i never felt a delay w the throttle before but now i have a delay when i get on the gas and it doesnt take off like it used to. i just accounted to age... but ....idk... sigh.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
i must mention after studying more , very very recently, every now and then the engine has been stalling during coasting and idling, only during slowing down coasting and or traffic light idling, nothing else, and it starts back up no prob and no extra lights.

how can i just get this thing pass, i never knew Evap purge valve could effect the engine as much as it does. no i am starting to worry, but car has been driving fine and mpg has been totally fine, oil has been good, intial acceleration has been very weak though more than ever i never felt a delay w the throttle before but now i have a delay when i get on the gas and it doesnt take off like it used to. i just accounted to age... but ....idk... sigh.
driveablity problem sounds like maf

Retarded emissions sounds more like a circuit problem.

Know anyone in these counties? http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/info_non.htm Register the car there. Emissions testing is scam by the govt.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 08-23-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 AM

allright, so heres what I am doing, because of my stalling and issues at the gas pump, I am replacing the PVCV Pressure Volume Control Valve which is near the engine. My stalls immediately after refueling are a clear indication of this. WHen the shop tested it, the engine is cooled and not warmed up like when I go to refuel. and i spoke w my fav mechanic for 5-10 mins and we both agreed. this is a good chance to fix this ish. Right now there is a dorman on there, fingers crossed.

i hope to get the part and have it back to the shop wednesday.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
driveablity problem sounds like maf

Retarded emissions sounds more like a circuit problem.

Know anyone in these counties? http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/info_non.htm Register the car there. Emissions testing is scam by the govt.
thanks man, I thought of MAF too, i am going to clean it tonight w the CRC MAF spray, and i just checked that list, and i dont think i know anyone ! we have a mtn house in the one county in the north central that is excluded from no emissions, I work in county north of my home and they are all emissions.

to be honest right now I care less about the stalling , and just trying to pass at this point., by the way the stalling is rare, very rare, i would say 1 out of 20 drives, and the stalling literally at the gas pump is directly related to PVCV (if the canister valve is functioning)

they tested the voltage and power of the sensors by the way,
Old 08-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Bad *** Newb

thanks man, I thought of MAF too, i am going to clean it tonight w the CRC MAF spray, and i just checked that list, and i dont think i know anyone ! we have a mtn house in the one county in the north central that is excluded from no emissions, I work in county north of my home and they are all emissions.

to be honest right now I care less about the stalling , and just trying to pass at this point., by the way the stalling is rare, very rare, i would say 1 out of 20 drives, and the stalling literally at the gas pump is directly related to PVCV (if the canister valve is functioning)

they tested the voltage and power of the sensors by the way,
Well, I have one last idea. Check the big O ring for the fuel pump. If you smoke tested, what else could be leaking?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM

i replaced the Fuel Pump and O ring both OEM, last summer some time ago.... and don't believe I had these symptoms around that. hope that helps...

should I bring up the O ring to my mechanic? i kinda would like to keep it simple, but i also agree w your thinking like what else could it be.

i am gonna pull the code again tonight when I buy the CRC MAF spray, but would evap codes be caused by the fuel filter O ring issues?

also , it was my second fuel filter and O ring replacement, and cant remember any issues w the O-Ring

Last edited by Prophecy99; 08-23-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Bad *** Newb

i replaced the Fuel Pump and O ring both OEM, last summer some time ago.... and don't believe I had these symptoms around that. hope that helps...

should I bring up the O ring to my mechanic? i kinda would like to keep it simple, but i also agree w your thinking like what else could it be.

i am gonna pull the code again tonight when I buy the CRC MAF spray, but would evap codes be caused by the fuel filter O ring issues?

also , it was my second fuel filter and O ring replacement, and cant remember any issues w the O-Ring
Well, damn. If you already replaced it, then idk.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Are there any codes coming up? Evap system is usually three or 4 different codes.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Are there any codes coming up? Evap system is usually three or 4 different codes.
EVAP system can be this many codes: p0441, p0442, p0444, p0447, p0452, p0453, p0455, p0456, p1442, p1444, p1446, p1448, p1456, p1448, p1456, p1490, p1491

Prophecy, pm me I might have a fix for you.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
p1444 =), cleaned maf, and waiting on oem pvcv (because of gas pump stalling issues)
Old 08-30-2018, 05:58 AM

mechanic said the leak code didnt come back so thats a good sign, he reset codes, and we will see in a couple days. currently using OEM nissan PVCV

i hope I can provide a solution to anyone dealing w this, and I am hoping its the classic OEM vs aftermarket rule of thumb on sensors , will post results.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Do not use DORMAN sensors on any EVAP or any other sensor for that matter. i passed the inspection and got rid of P1444 because I swapped the dorman to an OEM .

so basically it would appear that the DORMAN PVCV never worked ! and casued my stalling issues ! thanks aftermaket

cliffnotes - if you need a part and it has to word sensor in it .... you better replace with Nissan OEM, if you do not you will waste your time . period, waste your money, and possibly cause other unwanted symptoms, if you dare to use an aftermarket non oem sensor.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Bad *** Newb

Do not use DORMAN sensors on any EVAP or any other sensor for that matter. i passed the inspection and got rid of P1444 because I swapped the dorman to an OEM .

so basically it would appear that the DORMAN PVCV never worked ! and casued my stalling issues ! thanks aftermaket

cliffnotes - if you need a part and it has to word sensor in it .... you better replace with Nissan OEM, if you do not you will waste your time . period, waste your money, and possibly cause other unwanted symptoms, if you dare to use an aftermarket non oem sensor.
Sounds like one that was just defective stuck open. I use the ebay stuff on other people's cars with no issue. I delete PCV, so I wouldn't know about this emissions stuff
Old 09-04-2018, 05:46 AM

i hear ya ! this is the sensor on the engine though right by the manifold. i was stalling because it was letting the pressure build up so much and not releasing it or vise versa. also light is gone after swapping.