5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sold my Maxima

Old 09-18-2018, 08:59 PM

Sold my Maxima

Well, I sold one of them at least.

Sold the ex wife's 300,000+ mile 2000 GLE that became mine in the divorce.
It was a great car but I just don't need it. I was a little sad to see it go. Especially since I just went through it at 300,000 and got it ready to go another 100,000 thinking she was going to keep it. I've been taking care of it since we got it in 2004 and did everything before it was needed since she traveled a lot. In all that time it never left her stranded or had a major issue.

I was glad to see it go to a good home just up the road from me. The young mans father is a customer at the shop I help out at sometimes so I know it wont get trashed. They're very nice people and smart enough to see the value of a well maintained, rust free car even with high mileage.

The modded 02 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

240k on my '02 and like you, I won't be getting rid of it any time soon. Out of curiosity, how much did you get from selling a 300k mile maxima? lol
Old 09-19-2018, 06:52 AM

Yeah, I would love to know how much it went for. I'm guessing $1,000?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 AM

Always nice to sell a beloved car to someone responsible. Probably was an excellent car,
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM

Got $2,000 for it with no hesitation. I could have gotten more but I didn't have to list it and deal with a bunch of idiots wanting it for nothing.
It was a perfectly rust free southern car.
Interior was in great shape. The ex weighed about 100# soaking wet so even the drivers seat was in good shape.
Recently rebuilt the front suspension - Ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, motor mounts, wheel bearings, brake rotors/pads etc... I also helped him install the new rear rotors and pads I hadn't gotten to.

Brand new NGK iridium plugs, MAF, IACV, tranny shift solevoid pack, VC gaskets, radiotor, all "position" sensors and a brand new battery.

All it needed was tires which they had from their previous car and swapped over. We worked through a few small hiccups from it sitting for a while but overall a great car.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 09-19-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Wow, nice job on getting $2k.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Wow, nice job on getting $2k.
Thanks. It's a little different down here because we don't have rust issues. If you keep up with the mechanical repairs you can drive them forever. We still have a lot of regular old 80s and 90s cars running around that are nothing special. Just well taken care of.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Thanks. It's a little different down here because we don't have rust issues. If you keep up with the mechanical repairs you can drive them forever. We still have a lot of regular old 80s and 90s cars running around that are nothing special. Just well taken care of.
Since you are along the coast, you don't get rust from the salt air? It's an issue along the jersey, delaware, maryland coasts.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM

very intersting ! sad to see it go, but its the best when you know who u are giving it away too ! (selling) nice work ! and thats a nice penny, i kinda wanna google KBB and see if that is even possible ! awesome!
Old 09-19-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Since you are along the coast, you don't get rust from the salt air? It's an issue along the jersey, delaware, maryland coasts.
Not unless you live right on the beach. I've seen a few rust bombs out on Pensacola beach which is pretty much a long thin paved sand bar. If you live or work out there you're never more than a stones throw away from the water. Even then those have been much older cars or old work trucks.

I know what you mean but it just doesn't happen in town. Maybe because the Gulf is a lot quieter that the Atlantic. If I were in South Florida or right on the Atlantic coast it may be different. As it is, I'm in the western part of the Panhandle.

I could literally take all the suspension and exhaust off any of my cars and put it all back with the same fasteners without fighting anything. The underbody is still painted body color, the bolts are all silver and the suspension still has all its black paint on any of them. Including the 00 I just sold.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
240k on my '02 and like you, I won't be getting rid of it any time soon. Out of curiosity, how much did you get from selling a 300k mile maxima? lol
Wow LA02 you still around, its been a while, long while since I have seen you or any of the old members..... I have been gone for a while. My 01 has 248k but it hasn't been used for over 4 years,still going strong when I take it out for a 7 mile trip every weekend.

Awesome $$$ for the car, I did a KBB and I will have to give money back to whoever buy the car from me. I'm keeping it until it dies

Last edited by Lontar1; 09-19-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:39 PM

I could literally take all the suspension and exhaust off any of my cars and put it all back with the same fasteners without fighting anything. The underbody is still painted body color, the bolts are all silver and the suspension still has all its black paint on any of them. Including the 00 I just sold.
That is so awesome! Im jealous. Makes me consider moving.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 PM

I've been around. Mostly trying to answer questions and return a little bit. I think this is the first new post I've started in years.

KBB gets less accurate the older a car gets. I can honestly say this car was way better than almost any car with 1/2 the miles being unloaded because it has problems. They actually had a budget almost twice that and couldn't find anything that didn't need a bunch of work. They were looking at some crappy little cars that weren't as nice as 5th gen Max too.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by NotYou
Just stumbled across this pic I took of it last October. I don't remember what it was for but it shows how clean it is. This is common for older cars down here. I occasionally fill in at a local repair shop so I see under a lot of cars.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 AM
Bad *** Newb

I hate you. Stick your rust free metal up your ***.

States, counties and cities should be sued by class action lawsuits until they stop using salt completely. It's literally a racket, imo. Cars are destroyed after 10 yrs. They dump salt even when air and ground temps are well above freezing. Flurries are forecasted? Dump it all like a Blizzard is coming. On top of it...salt doesn't even work. If it's warm enough for it work, then it'll melt soon, anyway.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 09-20-2018 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:26 AM

Not unless you live right on the beach. I've seen a few rust bombs out on Pensacola beach which is pretty much a long thin paved sand bar. If you live or work out there you're never more than a stones throw away from the water. Even then those have been much older cars or old work trucks.

I know what you mean but it just doesn't happen in town. Maybe because the Gulf is a lot quieter that the Atlantic. If I were in South Florida or right on the Atlantic coast it may be different. As it is, I'm in the western part of the Panhandle.

yea your making me wnat to move there for just those benefits!
Originally Posted by NotYou
+8
I've been around. Mostly trying to answer questions and return a little bit. I think this is the first new post I've started in years.

KBB gets less accurate the older a car gets. I can honestly say this car was way better than almost any car with 1/2 the miles being unloaded because it has problems. They actually had a budget almost twice that and couldn't find anything that didn't need a bunch of work. They were looking at some crappy little cars that weren't as nice as 5th gen Max too.
Intersting, notes taken on my old max with 239k running great.

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
I hate you. Stick your rust free metal up your ***.

States, counties and cities should be sued by class action lawsuits until they stop using salt completely. It's literally a racket, imo. Cars are destroyed after 10 yrs. They dump salt even when air and ground temps are well above freezing. Flurries are forecasted? Dump it all like a Blizzard is coming. On top of it...salt doesn't even work. If it's warm enough for it work, then it'll melt soon, anyway.
lol ! hahah and salt, dotn worry about salt, have you seen what Brine does ! its literally like toxic waste in liquid form, i moved to a town / area that uses brine, my rust came 4x quicker than salt.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
Wow LA02 you still around, its been a while, long while since I have seen you or any of the old members..... I have been gone for a while. My 01 has 248k but it hasn't been used for over 4 years,still going strong when I take it out for a 7 mile trip every weekend.

Awesome $$$ for the car, I did a KBB and I will have to give money back to whoever buy the car from me. I'm keeping it until it dies
Yeah, I'm still around although I'm not nearly as active on the forums as I used to be! My maxima isn't getting as much use now, either, since I have a company car. But I do still love to drive it.

Just stumbled across this pic I took of it last October. I don't remember what it was for but it shows how clean it is. This is common for older cars down here. I occasionally fill in at a local repair shop so I see under a lot of cars.
Yeah, that's a big big reason why I don't live where it snows. My car is also completely rust free; even the exhaust isn't rusted, and the manifold nuts all came off without any issues when I removed them at 189k miles. Benefits to living in the south! I'll take heat for 4 1/2 months out of the year in exchange for all the other benefits
Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 AM

I..........am.............so.............jealous!! !! I wished my cars aged that well.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 PM

I've got a ways to go.
Attached Thumbnails Sold my Maxima-thumbnail_2.jpg  
Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 PM

My 90, 98 and 03 are all clean like that underneath.....
Old 09-21-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by J P D
I've got a ways to go.
Wow, my 02 had more than that when I bought it in 2004. It's around 230,000 now.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
My 90, 98 and 03 are all clean like that underneath.....
Yup, similar climate. Got to love it.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:02 AM

YEP... that's crazy clean. Up here in the salt belt that car would be $350 max. There will be nothing left on the under body to even bolt the new suspension parts you listed. lol
Old 10-04-2018, 04:39 AM

i love snow and am an avid snowboarder, i will deal with it untill i cant ride anymore =)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:19 AM

I have a rust free 01 and I do live near Buffalo. Just don't drive it in the winter!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM

i'm trying to keep my 01 GLE but, the she needs some water and sand blasting and a gallon of rust converter and new paint. she's good car with her "leather" interior and none of the "SE" peasant cloth interior like those Altima Scum!

EDIT: if i had a truck and time i'd be at the scrap yard plasma cutting off body parts

Last edited by cdoublejj; 10-05-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:53 AM

Sad to see maxima go. Down here that salt is never fun at winter time.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:07 AM

you just have to remember to spray down the underbody of the car after driving in the snowy northern towns.

Make sure you really spray well for a good 10 - 20 minutes.
spray up into the wheel wells real good and up around the wheels. spray with soapy water. then rinse with clean fresh water.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:30 AM

what if you live up here? wash after every drive ? sighhh
Old 10-08-2018, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
Damn right. Dedication.

That being said, after I drove to Colorado last winter, I jacked my car up and literally scrubbed every inch of the under carriage lol. No rust today, Satan.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
Just after all the snow is cleared. Hose it down. Not after every time you drive in it.

How were the coils in it? Did you ever replace those in 300 000 miles?

Last edited by maximatech12; 10-10-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Just after all the snow is cleared. Hose it down. Not after every time you drive in it.

How where the coils in it? Did you ever replace those in 300 000 miles?
Oh yeah. It came with the crappy coils from Nissan and I changed all of them early on when the first one failed. That was after less than 100,000 miles. I used the updated ones from Nissan because that was pretty much all there was back then. The buyer had to replace one right after the purchase but they were cool with it.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Damn right. Dedication.

That being said, after I drove to Colorado last winter, I jacked my car up and literally scrubbed every inch of the under carriage lol. No rust today, Satan.
Most people just run it through a car wash after the roads are cleared. Running it through a car wash helps but there is still a lot of salt and dirt under the car. Just going through a car wash isn't enough.