5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Best exhaust modificatiopn for the $$$$!!!
Performance muffler or HKS-style back section muffler
5.26%
cat-back
0%
y-pipe
94.74%
high flow catalytic converter
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Best Exhaust Mod For The $$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best Exhaust Mod For The $$$

What would be the most important single exhaust modification one could do to get MAXIMUM power, and sound quality for the $$$$???
Old 02-03-2002, 08:54 PM

no contest, Y is the best by far for 2000/2001 for HP.

If you want looks or sound get a muffler (I like the Greddy)
Old 02-03-2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by theMax
no contest, Y is the best by far for 2000/2001 for HP.

If you want looks or sound get a muffler (I like the Greddy)
I thought Greddy didn't make a muffler/exhaust for 5th gen. If so, don't they (Greddy) give a very deep, not-ricey, sound?

Tony
Old 02-03-2002, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

I thought Greddy didn't make a muffler/exhaust for 5th gen. If so, don't they (Greddy) give a very deep, not-ricey, sound?

Tony
Greddy has a complete cat back system for the 5th gen

search for people on this forum who have it. I heard it is really loud. (y2kevse for one has it)
Old 02-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Sports Button FTW

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

<h3>I have searched for 10 minutes now</h3>

and i can't find what i'm looking for ga dammit, so i'm just going to go out and ask it. I'm not looking for a y-pipe or whatever yaw want to call these things, all I want is my car to make that nice PURR SOUND when driving, not as loud as those Honda's and Acura's but loud enough to show that i'm moving and quiet enough to keep the 2 houses away neighbors asleep....Maxima's are too dag on quiet. Do I have to change the whole muffler? or can i add an extension? what is this running me? Please, if u guys are getting tired of me, atleast give me a head start by showing me a site that'll give me info on what i need...thanks...
Old 02-04-2002, 10:16 PM

Re: I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

Originally posted by meccanoble

and i can't find what i'm looking for ga dammit, so i'm just going to go out and ask it. I'm not looking for a y-pipe or whatever yaw want to call these things, all I want is my car to make that nice PURR SOUND when driving, not as loud as those Honda's and Acura's but loud enough to show that i'm moving and quiet enough to keep the 2 houses away neighbors asleep....Maxima's are too dag on quiet. Do I have to change the whole muffler? or can i add an extension? what is this running me? Please, if u guys are getting tired of me, atleast give me a head start by showing me a site that'll give me info on what i need...thanks...
Well since you have a 4th gen, I know that you can put on an Apex'i N1 muffler with a Y-pipe and at WOT it purrs pretty nicely. However, when you are just cruising at a pretty constant speed, it's nice and quiet. It's not as loud as the GReddy cat-back, and it has a nice note.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:54 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

Well since you have a 4th gen, I know that you can put on an Apex'i N1 muffler with a Y-pipe and at WOT it purrs pretty nicely. However, when you are just cruising at a pretty constant speed, it's nice and quiet. It's not as loud as the GReddy cat-back, and it has a nice note.
excellent, now we are getting soemwhere...now how much and where do i get it?
Old 02-05-2002, 04:46 AM

noise

Look, if all you want is noise, and you don't want to wake the neighbors, but you want a nice purr, and dont want to spend much money.

It's as simple as getting a new intake.

you have the following options.

K&N Drop in filter (cheap yet effective)
Stillen cone filter or JWT pop charger (more power, more noise)
Frankencar Intake (do a search on this)
Look up OSCAI there's plenty of stuff on it, virtually free if your budget is tight

Besides, if you want your exhaust to have any effect at all later down the line you'll have to get an intake anyway
Old 02-05-2002, 08:20 AM

Re: I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

Originally posted by meccanoble

if youre looking for the sound...get an intake..only around 150 tops and install it yourself
Old 02-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

Originally posted by Raf2kMax

if youre looking for the sound...get an intake..only around 150 tops and install it yourself
All i need is an intake? You mean a Cold Air Intake? Does that hoook up to the muffler? Isn't it the attachment to the muffler that makes that noise? or is it the muffler as a whole?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:55 PM

intake

Well, I tried finding you on aim, but you were offline, so here goes.

An air intake (also known as an air filter) resides in your engine bay next to your battery. It filters the air before it enters the throttle body and the intake manifold, so that no large particles can reach the internals of the engine. It's not part of the exhaust system, but you can see how better airflow in (intake) would provide gains in combination with better airflow out (exhaust/muffler).

Performance intakes are a vast improvement over their stock counterparts, because they are designed for optimal air flow. Air flow is maximized by increasing the surface area of the filter, and/or changing the source of the air. In the case of a cold air intake (CAI), the source of the air comes via a pipe that sucks colder outside air from outside of the car. In theory, this should provide more power because the density of 02 molecules in colder air is greater therefore providing better combustion when mixed with fuel in the combustion chambers. This however has never been proven to work practically. When it comes down to it, any non-stock air filter/intake system is roughly comparable.

I suggest you do a search on the forums, there are many posts regarding this topic all of the time.

Alternatively, you can look at the FAQ-U and HOW-TO section of http://www.maximadriver.com

Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2002, 06:41 PM

my cai sounds real nice in the car but I don't think its to loud outside. (but I like that)