5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Easy Q' about flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Easy Q' about flywheel

Quick question. Im installing a LW flywheel onto my HR swap and the flywheel i removed had some sort of spacer with it. It was a CVT transmission, im obviously using a 6 speed. Do I use that spacer, or is that a part that is for auto/cvt transmissions only? I also read that some people in the past had problems with aligning the starter with fidanza flywheels, does anyone have more info on that topic? Dont want any grinding and definitely dont want to have to drop my tranny when i have everything finished finally.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:38 AM

I don't know about the spacer on that setup. My Fidanza didn't need a spacer with the stock engine.

Do you have a starter for the 6-speed?

I did have the grinding problem with the early Fidanza FW. There's no alignment you can do. It was a matter of the Fidanza coming with the wrong ring gear. The ring gear was the wrong diameter. It was lined up properly but it was too far away because it was too small. The teeth on the starter were barely touching the ring gear and causing a grinding at startup.

I think I was the first one with the problem. I had to talk to a bunch of people there, send measurements and basically help them figure out why it was grinding. They finally took it back and made it right. I think they were trying to use a ring gear they already stocked. they thought it was "close enough" but it wasn't. It was a pain since I had to do the initial install, pull it back out to reinstall the stock FW and finally reinstall the new one they sent. Three FW swaps on jack stands in my garage.

They did sort it out and started using the correct ring gear. It's not something you have to worry about now.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I don't know about the spacer on that setup. My Fidanza didn't need a spacer with the stock engine.

I did have the grinding problem with the early Fidanza FW. There's no alignment you can do. It was a matter of the Fidanza coming with the wrong ring gear. The ring gear was the wrong diameter. It was lined up properly but it was too far away because it was too small. The teeth on the starter were barely touching the ring gear and causing a grinding at startup.

I think I was the first one with the problem. I had to talk to a bunch of people there, send measurements and basically help them figure out why it was grinding. They finally took it back and made it right. I think they were trying to use a ring gear they already stocked. they thought it was "close enough" but it wasn't. It was a pain since I had to do the initial install, pull it back out to reinstall the stock FW and finally reinstall the new one they sent. Three FW swaps on jack stands in my garage.

They did sort it out and started using the correct ring gear. It's not something you have to worry about now.
Thanks for the info. The spacer i mentioned definitely is not used lol, infact getting the flywheel on was a royal PITA because of how tight the tolerances are. For anyone else reading who is having difficulty getting the flywheel on, it helped to heat the flywheel up until it is pretty much painful to touch; fidanza recommends this as the heat will expand the metal just enough to make it fit over the crank boss. I used a heat gun to do so.

Also just a friendly PSA to wear protective gloves (not latex, something padded) when you do this job. The flywheel bolts at least in my case had a T55 star head rather than a standard hex, and while torquing those suckers down to 90ftlb my wrench slipped and my thumb knuckle got skinned down to almost the bone by one of the dowels. Just a little boo boo of course but it was definitely a leaker lol.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE

I have two 1st gen fidanzas. It grinds in one engine and not in the other. The engine/tranny castings must have been screwed up or that's not possible... And it is fixable. Wallow the bolt holes and grind down the starter so it sits towards the flywheel more.
Originally Posted by Slamrod
Thanks for the info. The spacer i mentioned definitely is not used lol, infact getting the flywheel on was a royal PITA because of how tight the tolerances are. For anyone else reading who is having difficulty getting the flywheel on, it helped to heat the flywheel up until it is pretty much painful to touch; fidanza recommends this as the heat will expand the metal just enough to make it fit over the crank boss. I used a heat gun to do so.
Install is a tight fit, but it goes on. You just have to keep it straight and use a mallot (with a board would help) and smack it in.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 10-19-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
I have two 1st gen fidanzas. It grinds in one engine and not in the other. The engine/tranny castings must have been screwed up or that's not possible... And it is fixable. Wallow the bolt holes and grind down the starter so it sits towards the flywheel more.Install is a tight fit, but it goes on. You just have to keep it straight and use a mallot (with a board would help) and smack it in.
Pretty sure my FW should be ok considering I bought it within the last year, however good to know if I do end up having issues. As for the installation, I had to hammer the living fk out of that flywheel with a BFH and piece of wood until it was on enough to use the bolts to gradually pull it on. For those reading, if you use the bolts to pull the flywheel on, make sure you do so in a cross pattern (so it doesnt go crooked and bind up) until they are all equally tight af. Then remove them, put your threadlocker on, and retorque to 90ftlb
Old 10-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Pretty sure my FW should be ok considering I bought it within the last year, however good to know if I do end up having issues. As for the installation, I had to hammer the living fk out of that flywheel with a BFH and piece of wood until it was on enough to use the bolts to gradually pull it on. For those reading, if you use the bolts to pull the flywheel on, make sure you do so in a cross pattern (so it doesnt go crooked and bind up) until they are all equally tight af. Then remove them, put your threadlocker on, and retorque to 90ftlb
Hmm, that sounds unusually tight. Did you use some lube?
Old 10-20-2018, 04:57 AM

Mine went right on with no drama. It was tight but I didn't have to fight it.
I hope you don't have to take it off any time soon.