5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 to 6th Front Brake Upgrade - same bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5.5 to 6th Front Brake Upgrade - same bracket?

I have read many threads, but it's still not clear (to me) if the 5.5 gen front bracket (aka torque member) from my 2003 can be re-used with the 6th gen calipers?? My bracket is perfect condition. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM

It cannot. You require the caliper with the piston in it AND the torque member the caliper bolts to from a 6th gen. They're completely different. The 6th gen torque member does bolt directly up to the 5.5 gen hubs, though.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:24 AM

+1 you need the bracket they are not interchangeable,
Old 11-28-2018, 05:36 AM

Just to add to this: I think the primary reason for your confusion is that there are two things that are somewhat loosely labeled here called a "bracket".

Back when the 5th gens were in their heyday, a company owned by an .org member called Blehmco made several custom components for the maximas, primarily gens 3-5. One of the components he made was a metal bracket that re-located the OEM 5.0 gen calipers so that the 6th gen rotors could be used with them. With that particular "bracket" and only on a 5.0 gen (not 5.5), you wouldn't need any part of the 6th gen caliper. Then there's the torque member, which is also referred to as a bracket on here.... that piece actually comes with the caliper from Nissan (because the caliper can't operate without it). On 5.5 gens, you need this torque member, because the 6th gen calipers are considerably larger than the 5.5 gen calipers.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:48 AM

yes this is correct, so if you upgrade 6th gen calipers u need the 6th gen torque member (bracket) as well,

when buying new you will get the torque member, when buying used and junk yard rebuilds you have to be careful they do not always come with, i got from the junk yard and the torque members came with the 6th gen calipers,
Old 11-29-2018, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the responses! My goal is shorter emergency stops (had close calls). I do have sticky tires (RE-11) and I also haven't felt the ABS activate under panic stopping.

That said, does the seat of the pants test indicate shorter stopping distances?

From what I have read on this site and a few other automotive forums:
Pros: fade resistance, improved feel, cool appearance
Cons: changes front/rear bias which can affect stopping distance, increased unsprung weight

Then I read Car & Driver road test reviews:
70-0 braking:
2002 Maxima = 182'
2004 Maxima = 197'

Now I'm confused?
Old 11-29-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by CRBWS6
Thanks for the responses! My goal is shorter emergency stops (had close calls). I do have sticky tires (RE-11) and I also haven't felt the ABS activate under panic stopping.

That said, does the seat of the pants test indicate shorter stopping distances?

From what I have read on this site and a few other automotive forums:
Pros: fade resistance, improved feel, cool appearance
Cons: changes front/rear bias which can affect stopping distance, increased unsprung weight

Then I read Car & Driver road test reviews:
70-0 braking:
2002 Maxima = 182'
2004 Maxima = 197'

Now I'm confused?
Your pros and cons are correct. Technically, the best way to finish off any brake upgrade would be to calculate the required brake bias and adjust accordingly. That being said: on a street car like the maxima, the difference in changing out these front brakes isn't going to be considerable enough to go through the trouble of doing that. I very rarely feel my ABS kick in, even when it's wet outside, and I've never had any complaints about the stopping distance with my maxima.

Also, keep in mind you're comparing two completely different cars when it comes to that stopping distance. The 6th gen maxima is considerably heavier than the 5th gen, and you also need to factor in tires, weather conditions, road surface conditions, etc etc. It's not likely that putting 1" larger diameter rotors will appreciably affect the stopping distance on your car. The main performance benefit is greater resistance to fading.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanks. Although I do have a great appreciation for the fade resistance of big brakes, since this isn't the car I use at the track, it sounds like the upgrade wouldn't be worth it.

The time spent researching this has helped dispel my assumption that BBK = shorter stopping. Always be learning....
Old 11-29-2018, 05:12 PM

just wondering has anyone weighed 6th gen rotors/brackets/calipers vs the 5th gen?
there is greater brake tq with bigger brakes but that's a bullshlt ricer goto to justify getting bigger brakes on a weak 2ss maxima.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
just wondering has anyone weighed 6th gen rotors/brackets/calipers vs the 5th gen?
there is greater brake tq with bigger brakes but that's a bullshlt ricer goto to justify getting bigger brakes on a weak 2ss maxima.
Yes, you are right.
Since you brought it up: There are two sides to getting bigger brakes (or wheels). Bigger brakes generate bigger brake torque, and they have more mass to absorb more heat. That's the good side.
Unfortunately, there is a downside: It takes more energy to spin up the heavier rotors/wheels (so, acceleration suffers), and more energy to slow them down (braking suffers). Moreover, the relationship is not linear - as the rotor mass increases, the effort to spin/brake the rotor goes up exponentially !!
It's an art of compromise. I actually believe that the brakes on our cars have been designed pretty well - I haven't modified my OEM brakes, and don't plan to do so in the future.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 AM

they are definitely heavier weight, i forget, it was mentioned somewhere, and it was also written its about %30 more braking power up front.

i love the 6th gen BBK , and would do it over again, one plus you may not think of is, the rotors and pads last way longer than normal, like way longer.