5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Torque Steer

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Larrfry

Torque Steer

I've just bought a 5 speed 2000 Maxima. I have to confess I'm not a big fan of front wheel drive.

The torque steer I feel in the Maxima I find totally unacceptable. In first or second gear, occassionly in third - at full acceleration near maximum revs, the steering wheel suddenly (WITH NO WARNING) tugs to the left or right. If I come over a steep hillcrest with power-on in lower gears the vehicle also suddenly pulls to one side or the other. Is this abnormal for the Maxima or is this just the inherent bad design of the vehicle???? I don't have a great deal of experience in mid-power front wheel drives but I've spent a fair amount of time driving and racing mid to high horsepower rear wheel drives and also driving lower powered front wheel drives with a bit of track time in those also (but not much). Frankly, I'm looking forward to getting back into a rear wheel drive or for a commuter car - a well designed front wheel drive. Is this typical of the 2000+ Maximas or should I dump it and look elsewhere????

Admittantly I got the Maxima as a commuter car, not as a sports car, but it is less than impressive. In fact- I would say it is a joke as a performance car other than its ability to accelerate at a moderate level.

Old 03-08-2002, 12:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Did you test drive the car before buying it?
It sounds like you are very unhappy with some things (things you normally notice in test drives).
Old 03-08-2002, 12:31 PM

Re: Torque Steer

Take a spin in a 3.5 Altima SE if you really want to feel torque steer. The Maxima is a sedate lady compared to the new Altima.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Larrfry
I've just bought a 5 speed 2000 Maxima. I have to confess I'm not a big fan of front wheel drive.

The torque steer I feel in the Maxima I find totally unacceptable. In first or second gear, occassionly in third - at full acceleration near maximum revs, the steering wheel suddenly (WITH NO WARNING) tugs to the left or right. If I come over a steep hillcrest with power-on in lower gears the vehicle also suddenly pulls to one side or the other. Is this abnormal for the Maxima or is this just the inherent bad design of the vehicle???? I don't have a great deal of experience in mid-power front wheel drives but I've spent a fair amount of time driving and racing mid to high horsepower rear wheel drives and also driving lower powered front wheel drives with a bit of track time in those also (but not much). Frankly, I'm looking forward to getting back into a rear wheel drive or for a commuter car - a well designed front wheel drive. Is this typical of the 2000+ Maximas or should I dump it and look elsewhere????

Admittantly I got the Maxima as a commuter car, not as a sports car, but it is less than impressive. In fact- I would say it is a joke as a performance car other than its ability to accelerate at a moderate level.
I have a 2k2 with HLSD...torque steer is not to bad.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Larrfry

Originally posted by Hotnicks
Did you test drive the car before buying it?
It sounds like you are very unhappy with some things (things you normally notice in test drives).
I needed a commuter car and given various reviews it sounded like the Maxima might do the job. Yes, of course, I test drove it but to push near the maximum is NOT something ANYONE can do in a first time test drive. It is IRRESPONSIBLE!!! I test drove it but to push near maximum on roads I didn't know and with a person who I didn't know --- well --- you can't do that.

Sadly, you need competant car reviews, or track time or a bit of spirited driving on selected roadways to really determine what the vehicle can do. Now I know 99.999% of drivers don't really push their vehicles or only push in one direction - i.e., how fast can I accelerate, yet I was wondering if other DRIVERS have discovered the severe limitations of the Maxima or do i have a bad sample.

What are your experiences and background?

Old 03-08-2002, 12:46 PM

do you hold the steering wheel with both hands?
Old 03-08-2002, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE
I would have the alignment checked if it is as bad as you describe. We all have some, but yours sounds abnormally bad.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Maxima Pilot

When a big car mag (dont recall if it was

Car and Driver or Road & Track) tested the new generation Maxima (2001 version) they indeed noted fairly high level of torque steer and made a statement to the effect that 'the chassis design is showing its age compared to more modern design front-drivers.'

I'll buy that given the current design has it's roots in the '94 model car -essentialy unchanged from the Gen4. I'll also buy that & that some newer 'clean sheet' designs would have less TS...ala Acura 3.2, VW Passat, some Volvi, etc.

That said, I would urge u to have the car's alignment verified..you would be amazed as to how many cars are not well aligned from the factory. If it's in spec, then two comments apply: first, -and because this is a well-documented behavior with the Maxes, shame on you for not doing your homework and second, either learn to live with it or get rid of it.

And I'm not trying to flame/complain...just recognize that ultimately it was your choice.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:16 PM

Re: When a big car mag (dont recall if it was

Originally posted by Galo
-and because this is a well-documented behavior with the Maxes, shame on you for not doing your homework and second, either learn to live with it or get rid of it.

And I'm not trying to flame/complain...just recognize that ultimately it was your choice.

agree 100%....should have saw that coming in the test drive, and what do you mean you can't floor it near the sales representive.....you can do w/e you want and espcially floor it from a dead stop and check what is the reaction of it
Old 03-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Larrfry

Despite suggestions that I should have saw this coming, I'm surprised how bad a 2000+ Maxima handles with POWER ON. The torque steer is unbeliveable when the car is pushed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I picked this car up for next to nothing. I payed $13,000 for a 2000 Maxima with a 5 speed with 22,000 miles on it. Not bad according to book value, but then again, not good, for such a poor handling car. I missed the Car and Driver review and frankly if the torque steer didn't come on SO ABRUPTLY, it won't be such a big factor. I want to say that again, torque steer is one thing, but sudden torque steer is a different beast.

It seems like a great deal of the posts want to show what poor judgement I used in buying the vehicle RATHER THAN whether what I've experienced is TYPICAL of the 2000+ . Assuming what I experienced is typical --- can it be remediated. I own the car - can anyone help???? Or is everyone in denial about the handling characteristics of the 2000+ Maxima.

Old 03-08-2002, 02:47 PM

Despite suggestions that I should have saw this coming, I'm surprised how bad a 2000+ Maxima handles with POWER ON. The torgue steer is unbeliveable when the car is pushed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I picked this car up for next to nothing. A 2000 Maxima with 5 speed with 22,000 miles for $13,000. Not bad but then again not good for such a poor handling car. I missed the Car and Driver review and frankly if the torque steer didn't come on SO ABRUPT, it won't be such a big factor. I want to say that again, torgue steer is one thing, but sudden torque steer is a different beast.

It seems like a great deal of the posts want to show what poor judgement I used in buying the vehicle RATHER THAN whether what I've experienced is TYPICAL of the 2000+ . Assuming what I experienced is typical --- can it be remediated. I own the car - can anyone help????
Not sure that I have experienced what you call sudden torque steer except under hard acceleration from a stop. Even then it's something I'm expecting so I'm ready for it (controlable). On the road my Max handles very well. But then I've been driving front drive for quite a while ... Your Maxima will never be rear wheel drive - maybe consider something else. Just my experience and opinion.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:48 PM
Very sound, Mike

Hmm. I'm a bit confused by your post, you got it as a commuter rather than performance car yet you redline the first 3 gears? I commute quite fairly but the opportunity to redline even 2nd gear doesn't usually present itself in the city.

In any case, what's the condition of the tires? You might be losing grip given it's a 2 year old car.

I have a 2k2 and aside from jumping the gun from a stop i never get torque steer in higher gears/revs unless the road conditions dictate otherwise. My Potenza's doesn't help the case either.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Larrfry

Yes; Always

Old 03-08-2002, 02:58 PM

I agree that you can't floor the car on a test drive!

You can't [responsibly] do that with a new car with very few miles on it! That's violating the break-in recommendations big time!

So what are you going to do - ask to test drive then say you can't buy it since it's been abused - by you!!! When I was shopping, I went to drive a Jetta 1.8t and the sales-droid hit the rev-limiter twice before we got out of the lot!!! The engine was stone cold and he's over-revving! When we returned from the test drive, I told his boss that I would NEVER buy a car that had been flogged like that!

Needless to say, I assume that any miles on the car before I get it are the hardest miles the car will ever see.

My rule of thumb is to never go above 1/2 redline till 10 minutes after the temp has hit the normal mark! Gotta wait till the oil is hot. Can be somewhat of a damper on your fun, but so are major engine problems.

In any case, I can't abuse a car like that and neither should you!
You should also let this viewpoint be known to your dealer! Tell them their sales-driods need to respect the break-in rules just like [or more than] you expect the owners to!
Old 03-08-2002, 03:00 PM

I know how to fix the torque steer

There is a solution to the torque steer problem. Get a quaiffe differential or a VLSD canadian nissan tranny. The VLSD won't work as effectively as the quaiffe would but it does help. Use www.carpart.com to find the tranny's and you can order the quaiffe from www.cattman.com I belive.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:23 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Hmm...since the 95-99 Maxima does 0-60 in 6.5-6.7 seconds and the 2000-2001 in about 6.9-7.1, I would assume 4th gens have a worse time with torque steer. You need to get your 2k Max aligned and tires rotated just for ***** and giggles and THEN you can b!tch about the torque steer.

And about the Maxima's handling..I have sport springs and a FSTB and I get compliments all the time on how GREAT my car handles. Not joking. And I am still on STOCK struts.

On exit ramps, neighborhoods, new roads, any roads that are smooth..the beam axle kicks ***. But on normal roads it aint so special

Finally, I would like to say you shoulda test drove it and recognized the torque steer before you bought it. It seems the power of the maxima is too great for front wheel drive, and you.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:01 PM

4th gen maxiam does 6.5-6.7??? yah right
never heard of it
Old 03-08-2002, 05:29 PM

I have a 2001 auto SE and have never noticed any torque steer, and I have done a lot of "spirited" driving in it. I did, however, notice a considerable amount of torque steer in a 2002 auto SE that I test drove. The stock maxima is NOT designed as a sports/performance car. It is a family car with some sporty tendancies, and that is all. If you want it to be sportier you can make it so for a relatively small amount of extra cash (front strut tower bar, rear sway bar, lowering springs, etc.) If you dump your maxima because of some torque steer what would you get for the same price that has everything the maxima has and no torque steer? If money was not an issue, I too would dump my maxima pretty damn quick.

Old 03-08-2002, 06:24 PM

I agree with most. Ive had a 99 5 speed a 2k1 5 speed and now a 2k2 6 speed. Only now with the 2k2 do I notice torque steer, it was a non issue on the 99 and the 2k1. I think you need to check alignment tire wear and shocks as you should not have this problem anywhere near as severe as you put it. Maybe pop the hood and make sure you dont have a supercharger bolted on or a 3.5 liter in it.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a 2001 5Sp SE and although TS is evident in hard accel in 1st & a little in 2nd, it is nothing like you describe and quite controllable. I have a FSTB and RSB which, I admit, lessened this characteristic a bit.

Old 03-08-2002, 06:37 PM

you are an idiot. you bought it for use as a commuter car yet you're complaining about torque steer under WOT near redline in the first three gears? what the hell kind of commute needs that kind of driving? please trade the car in for a civic, you do not deserve this car.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:59 PM

I have very little torque steer. Your major problem is your not going exactly straight. Your wheel is starting to loose traction and slide just a little. I had my dad's boss drive my car and he races cars for a second job. He said that mine is normal. Just a thought.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:29 PM
swallac2

You might not feel the torque steer in other cars in it's class because, THEY HAVE NO TORQUE!!! I just came out of an Accord V6 and that thing had just about no torque at all. The VQ motor has always been given rave reviews for it's high torque available down low.

Tell ya what sell the car and buy a Honda Insight. That my friend is a commuter car, not a Maxima.

Old 03-08-2002, 07:32 PM

No big deal... I just let the torque-steer do the steering for me! Works almost like an autopilot. No, really!...

G
Old 03-08-2002, 07:46 PM

never heard of it

Straight out of Motor Trend:

1995 | Nissan Maxima SE |6.6| 15.2 @ 92 | Manual

And If you don't believe me, go to a search engine online and search around. I will be happy to say you WILL find the same results.

Although your Maxima has 32HP more than ours stock, it is also a tub of goo

The 1995 GXE 5spd Maxima is the fastest, most responsive Maxima stock aside from the 2k2 of course.

I don't wanna turn this into a Maxima battle, but I AM gonna deliver the facts.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:51 PM

never heard of it
Here is a little more for ya

http://www.rit.edu/~ehy0121/Articles/motortrend.html

"Even a brief perusal of objec-tive testing numbers bears out that regardless of model. this new Maxima delivers the goods. Thanks to the potent free-revving 3.0-liter V-6 engine, even an "entry-level" GXE with a four-speed automatic transmission will run 0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds, just one second oft the performance of a five-speed SE model."

Sorry but the responsive and more athletic 4th Gen. Ownz joO
Old 03-08-2002, 08:12 PM

and you drove which other front wheel production cars, daily commuters, to come up with such a conclusion??.....and just kinda echoing what others have said, it could be an assortment things from alignement to tire wear, giving who knows how that car was treated before.....or maybe a focus/civic can solve your delima?? I like to think of my max as a family sedan that can out accelerate most cars on the road...and yes I have torque steer....peace.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: Torque Steer

Originally posted by 2kseman

and you drove which other front wheel production cars, daily commuters, to come up with such a conclusion??.....and just kinda echoing what others have said, it could be an assortment things from alignement to tire wear, giving who knows how that car was treated before.....or maybe a focus/civic can solve your delima?? I like to think of my max as a family sedan that can out accelerate most cars on the road...and yes I have torque steer....peace.
Yea...the maxima isnt a focking "commuter car"..its a sports sedan.

Quit your damn b!tching and learn to live with your over-ubunding power
Old 03-09-2002, 12:13 PM

Did you check the cars history? If you got the deal you said you did, I'd say it's probably been wrecked . I just traded a '99 SE with 32k miles for a '02 SE and paid $8k diff. You got a lot of car for the money, so I wouldn't be complaining. There's probably something bent in the front end causing the excessive TS, I would get it checked out and keep an eye on how the tires are wearing.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:48 PM

Front wheel drive sucks...But...

First of all, let me apologize for all of the people who took offense and flamed you for complaining about the maxima. I do not like my front wheel drive at all! However, I have never experienced what you are describing.

If I were you, I would first go and get an allignment, and then get new tires. When my allignment was off, my car was a b!tch to drive at high speeds--the stock tires didn't help either. I got Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position tires, and my max was a COMPLETELY different car!!! It's so responsive its amazing.

Also, the reason I originally wanted the maxima is because I'm not rich and there is SO much that can be done to a max. If you put anywhere from $1000-3000 in to your maxima you will be amazed. As far as handling is concerned get: tires, springs, shocks, fstb, rstb, rsb, rims, etc... As for power the list goes on and on...(there is a parts list in one of the important threads.)

Good luck. Try getting an allignment first. I suggest getting a 3-year or lifetime allignment if youre planning to keep the car. I have a lifetime and I get it done every month.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:46 PM

Dan4614 is right about the tires. My '99 had the factory Goodyear tires and I had nothing but problems with the handling/noise after about 8k miles. If you got on it, you could really feel the TS and it felt soft/rubbery through the steering wheel. I rotated the tires every 5k miles and had them balanced several times, but it was always the same. I had the dealer drive the car and they aligned it twice free of charge. After 28k miles, I replaced the tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE 950's and the difference was like night and day. I couldn't believe that the tires made that much of a difference and it made me happy all over again with the max . The guy that put the tires on for me said two of the old tires had slipped belts and that it was a common problem with Goodyears if you changed the direction of rotation when rotating the tires.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:00 PM

1. Every car I've ever test drove I have pushed it to its limits. Acceleration, clutch, brakes, handling, you name it. I keep the speeds respectible out of consideration for my passenger but that's about it.

2. Everyone that has researched the Maxima should know that they're famous for torque steer. But the problem you describe sounds like severe torque steer and I wonder, like many, if there's not something wrong with the car and/or tires.

3. I read a tire review somewhere, I can't remember what tire it was or on what site, regarding the person's new tires which virtually elimininated his torque steer problems. And yes, the car was a Maxima and the reviewer had also heard of the torque steer probs.

4. I've experienced mild torque steer problems with my car, but nothing too serious, especially as bad as yours, and I'm pretty picky.

Good luck.

Tony
Old 03-09-2002, 03:20 PM

Carl2k2SE is right, for 13k the car was probably wrecked! It could have no options at all and still be a wreck at that price. Either that or the owner is a crack head! You have already heard what you have to do, I just feel like adding my .02 because of all the negative s**t you are saying about maxes!

What is your idea of a comuter car??? A C5 vette or a viper?? No wait....you sound more like a Porche guy....911 maybe???
Old 03-09-2002, 04:12 PM

Oh, yeah...

To you 4th genner's. You're just jealous because our 5th Gen's look so nice from the back due to Nissan's amazing success in perfecting the back-end of the automobile during the first years of this century. I mean, the Maxima...Altima...G35...what else can one say?

Hahaha. I'm such a kidder.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by freda
I agree that you can't floor the car on a test drive!

You can't [responsibly] do that with a new car with very few miles on it! That's violating the break-in recommendations big time!

So what are you going to do - ask to test drive then say you can't buy it since it's been abused - by you!!! When I was shopping, I went to drive a Jetta 1.8t and the sales-droid hit the rev-limiter twice before we got out of the lot!!! The engine was stone cold and he's over-revving! When we returned from the test drive, I told his boss that I would NEVER buy a car that had been flogged like that!

Needless to say, I assume that any miles on the car before I get it are the hardest miles the car will ever see.

My rule of thumb is to never go above 1/2 redline till 10 minutes after the temp has hit the normal mark! Gotta wait till the oil is hot. Can be somewhat of a damper on your fun, but so are major engine problems.

In any case, I can't abuse a car like that and neither should you!
You should also let this viewpoint be known to your dealer! Tell them their sales-driods need to respect the break-in rules just like [or more than] you expect the owners to!
blah, for the test drive in 94 when we were getting the max. We asked the guy during the test drive if we could floor it and he gave the "sure, why not!?" and we took it down the backway and let a rip! Whats even funnier is that we didnt get that car we were doing this in we got an even better one.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:22 PM

one small question......

ok heres what i am getting out of this.....ive only read the first page of this thread and its ****ed me off enough...the question i have to ask is....if you are so damn unhappy with the max, y do you have it to start with? and another thing...if you are that disatisfied, get rid of the car and stop coming to a MAXIMA forum and talkin **** about the car. just my 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2002, 12:26 AM

Re: one small question......

Originally posted by 2k1maxgle
ok heres what i am getting out of this.....ive only read the first page of this thread and its ****ed me off enough...the question i have to ask is....if you are so damn unhappy with the max, y do you have it to start with? and another thing...if you are that disatisfied, get rid of the car and stop coming to a MAXIMA forum and talkin **** about the car. just my 2 cents.
I am glad someone has finally acknowledged that this guy is a full fledged Milaca!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:21 AM
Larrfry

Originally posted by maxman00
Carl2k2SE is right, for 13k the car was probably wrecked! It could have no options at all and still be a wreck at that price. Either that or the owner is a crack head! You have already heard what you have to do, I just feel like adding my .02 because of all the negative s**t you are saying about maxes!

What is your idea of a comuter car??? A C5 vette or a viper?? No wait....you sound more like a Porche guy....911 maybe???
The car has never had an accident. I'm amazed how easily people on the internet get hostile, make absurd allegations about drug use, etc. What has happened to an intelligent discourse.

Anyway, I've spent 30 years in the automotive business. There are a number of ways to detect a crashed vehicle but even in "collector cars", worth in excess of 100K, the factory spot welds are usually a give-away of a crash/bodywork. The price I paid was a bit above true wholesale - but nevertheless, I was lucky, most buyers pay far above wholesale.

To return to the topic at hand, my question is not so much about torque steer but ABOUT Sudden Torque Steer.

Old 03-10-2002, 09:53 AM

guys...give the guy a break here please....he is only trying to get help
Old 03-10-2002, 09:53 AM
Larrfry

Re: When a big car mag (dont recall if it was

Originally posted by Galo
Car and Driver or Road & Track) tested the new generation Maxima (2001 version) they indeed noted fairly high level of torque steer and made a statement to the effect that 'the chassis design is showing its age compared to more modern design front-drivers.'

I'll buy that given the current design has it's roots in the '94 model car -essentialy unchanged from the Gen4. I'll also buy that & that some newer 'clean sheet' designs would have less TS...ala Acura 3.2, VW Passat, some Volvi, etc.

That said, I would urge u to have the car's alignment verified..you would be amazed as to how many cars are not well aligned from the factory. If it's in spec, then two comments apply: first, -and because this is a well-documented behavior with the Maxes, shame on you for not doing your homework and second, either learn to live with it or get rid of it.

Thanks for your thoughtful response!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did do a fair amount of research before buying the Maxima and what I remember was the 5th generation was a much better car than the 4th generation. I doubt the alignment is the problem because the front tires show even wear. I do wish the torque steer was a well documented behavior!!!!!!!!! I don't think it is. I didn't see many complaints! If you look at the posts responding to my criticisms, many of which are openly hostile, it seems, if you own a Maxima, any criticisms are off bounds, in essense, the Maxima is a perfect car.

Given all the hostility that I generated when I suggested that the Maxima may not be a perfect car, it is hard to determine if the Sudden, Abrupt torgue steer, I experience, is normal. It seems that most of the people that post, want to prove they bought the ultimate car and NOT discuss any negative characteristics.

Evidentally, I'm either a crack head, nuts, etc to raise these issues.

Jeezzz!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Torque Steer