5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replace transmission or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:13 AM

Replace transmission or sell?

Hey y’all I think I need to sell my 02 i35 (basically Maxima) because of transmission problems. It started slipping recently and a shop told me to just get rid of it. Said no tests would show because no code was read so the issue is hydraulic. Basically was acting like it was stuck in overdrive instead of shifting into 1st in the morning, but it resolved in like 30 seconds. Car is probably worth $2.5-4K. I would think transmission costs that. Do they even sell them new? I would prefer this vs used (no warranty). It may also be a matter of finding someone who would be willing to do the work, last transmission mechanic I used said they don’t. Engine has 200k on it and runs good (not perfect like it used to, I was bad about a few oil changes and letting it run low). It does burn some oil, but I’ve done a ton of work to it: brand new battery (this week!), new alternator, new radiator, 4 new tires, new brakes, think 1 new rotor, new starter, new spark plugs and boots (can’t remember if coils?), new rear valve cover & gasket, dealership replaced camshaft position sensor, even new windshield wipers lol. It does have some cosmetic damage tho bc some kid hit me and damaged the bumper to where it’s sagggjng and the headlamp is damaged. It was salvaged, they gave me $4200 for it. Still think I could sell for $2.5-4k. What are your thoughts guys?

Edit: I would be looking to move into a ~$5-6k range sedan if I sold it. Something very comfortable that blends in without drawing a lot of attention, perhaps another Infiniti / Nissan

Last edited by chiefgleaton; 11-29-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 AM

I think your car is worth less then what you think it is. I'd venture tradin something around $1000 to $2500. If it ran like a dream, the upper end of that, but if not, you're lucky to get around $1000. If you're selling it privately, you may sit on it for a long time, you're going to get still the lower end of that if the transmission is obvious during test drive.

Then your price for the replacement is really low, obviously going to get back into a high mileage car that needs repairs. Point here is that you may buy a used car for $6k, but then have to drop over $3k in the first year for repairs, tires, brakes, maybe a battery, just a lot of stuff that if you bumpbed up the budget you could get into something lower mileage, with less repairs, perhaps even with some factory warranty available to you.

All that said, I don't know what help you're looking for, other than to say, the price of a rebuilt transmission for that car is more then the car is worth even if it was running good. As far as a type car to get into, man, you're going to have to that leg work...
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 AM

I just ran the Edmunds.com for your car, fully loaded, Average condition with 190,000 on the ticker (guessed average 12000 a year) your tradin is under $400 and the private party is $915. Switch that condition to rough, you're at $223 tradin and $644 private party sale. She's worthless...trade it in, and you'll at least get the subtraction from the next car to include lowering your taxable out the door.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I just ran the Edmunds.com for your car, fully loaded, Average condition with 190,000 on the ticker (guessed average 12000 a year) your tradin is under $400 and the private party is $915. Switch that condition to rough, you're at $223 tradin and $644 private party sale. She's worthless...trade it in, and you'll at least get the subtraction from the next car to include lowering your taxable out the door.
That's why I don't sell or trade in; just keep fixing them.
If you pull your own parts and do your own labor it's very worthwhile
But some people have more money than time
Old 11-29-2018, 10:31 AM

I did that 20 years ago, when changing an alternator or starter didn't require a lift and a crane and 4 hours of experienced labor, add 2 for inexperience. I realized too that every time you put money into an old high mileage beater, that's essentially a car payment. So total up what you've done, or had to pay someone to do, and you're at anywhere from $200 to $400 a month. Might as well drive a lower mileage reliable ride that also has a warrantee while you're making similar payments, and you keep your fingers from selling like oil.

It's also not everyone's thing to work on a car. I used to love doing it, but between the angst of busting a knuckle or running into troubleshooting brick walls without the knowledge or proper tools/equipment...the constant questionable reliability, that **** wears you down. If it's your daily driver and you need it to be running all the time, you gotta consider that priority. If you are ok with a car on jack stands one week every month, then that's ok too.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by chiefgleaton
It does have some cosmetic damage tho bc some kid hit me and damaged the bumper to where it’s sagggjng and the headlamp is damaged. It was salvaged, they gave me $4200 for it. Still think I could sell for $2.5-4k.
If you already got $4200 from a collision then that right there is what you should have set aside for your next car. Unless I'm misunderstanding things you're driving a free car right now by the sounds of it.

I'd like to think mine is worth something too. But realized its not. (
Old 11-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
That's why I don't sell or trade in; just keep fixing them.
If you pull your own parts and do your own labor it's very worthwhile
But some people have more money than time
That's also why Edmunds is a load of horse manure. They say $1690 private party value for an 02 Infiniti I35 with 155000 miles in "clean" condition which is what I had, except mine still had suspension issues that anyone who know what to look/ feel for would have diagnosed on a test drive--I still just sold it for $2400. Granted I doubt the kid who bought it knew something was off but that even further proves my point-- Edmunds is saying $700 less that what I sold mine for WITHOUT any mechanical issues. What a load.
(Not that i think the OP can get what he's saying for his either, but Edmunds is WAAYYY off.)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:01 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by sb001
That's also why Edmunds is a load of horse manure. They say $1690 private party value for an 02 Infiniti I35 with 155000 miles in "clean" condition which is what I had, except mine still had suspension issues that anyone who know what to look/ feel for would have diagnosed on a test drive--I still just sold it for $2400. Granted I doubt the kid who bought it knew something was off but that even further proves my point-- Edmunds is saying $700 less that what I sold mine for WITHOUT any mechanical issues. What a load.
(Not that i think the OP can get what he's saying for his either, but Edmunds is WAAYYY off.)
It all depends on how reliable and cheap the car is to repair. Edmunds is fair for luxury cars. A blend of Edmunds and KBB is about right. And the most important factor is your location. On the east coast your car would probably only sell for Edmunds. In the rust belt there's just no good cars, anymore. Sellers are asking double the actual value when in poor condition lol.

The websites are terrible in accounting for location.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 11-30-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a long post typed up and my phone deleted it lol. But KBB says my vehicle, at 195k miles and in only fair condition is still worth $1-2.4k (avg $1.5k) for private seller. I will probably list it high and see what I can get. Some of these issues have been there since day one at 118k miles and for all I know the car might just keep running no issues for at least another year or more. Only broken down on me twice - new starter and alternator, it’s been super reliable considering ~27k miles/ year. I will sell it for what I can get and pick up something new
Old 11-30-2018, 06:48 AM

FWIW, I just traded in my I35 in great condition(aside from CV axle / tranny issues that I did not disclose) in Philly. I only received $2k in credit against the purchase of a '15 Infiniti Q50. Any new car dealer is going to low ball you on a trade, as the initial offer that I received for my car was $750, and I had to spend hours negotiating to get them to ultimately up to $2K. There may be a bit more flexibility if you try to trade against a brand new car as there is more fa and wiggle room. Ultimately though, these are 15-16 year old cars, and are pretty much worthless from a selling perspective. In a private sale, you'd be luck to get even $1000 since you would have to disclose the tranny issues. With the high mileage that you have, I wouldn't recommend fixing. I'd look for a replacement vehicle, and recoup anything that you can for your car.