5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a 2002 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a 2002 Maxima?

It seems that most of the factors favor waiting a few months.

1. As the buzz of the 2003 Maxima and Altima increases, many potential buyers may take a 'wait and see' approach to the 2002 driving down demand...and prices.

2. When the 2003 cars begin shipping, we may see a repeat of the heavy factory to dealer incentives ($6k off of MSRP) that we saw in mid to late '99.

3. The economy is still not that stable and I've read that many 2002 buyers actually bought in late 2001 to take advantage of the 0% financing.

4. Discounts of $1k on 2002 Maximas are already common. Isn't this strange for a new model? Were 2000 Maximas discounted like this?

Did I miss anything?

Jim
Old 02-04-2002, 03:14 PM

I bought my 02 about 60 days ago. It was really for the fact that my 97 had a knocking noise in the motor and I didn't want to pay to figure out what was wrong. When I started looking I walked a few times. Then they called me and said they had a $4k cert to use on the car I wanted. I got $4k off so you could see $6k cuts coming up, but I prolly wouldn't wait too long. They may sell out.... NOT. heh. Good luck on the buying.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:34 PM
N8Magic

Originally posted by dblrr900
I bought my 02 about 60 days ago. It was really for the fact that my 97 had a knocking noise in the motor and I didn't want to pay to figure out what was wrong. When I started looking I walked a few times. Then they called me and said they had a $4k cert to use on the car I wanted. I got $4k off so you could see $6k cuts coming up, but I prolly wouldn't wait too long. They may sell out.... NOT. heh. Good luck on the buying.
$6,000 dollars off?

That's like $10,000 dollars Canadian! If they were to do that, I could end my used Maxima search right now and just buy a new one!

Old 02-04-2002, 05:57 PM

Re: Is now REALLY a good time to buy a 2002 Maxima?

Originally posted by JJW95SC

4. Discounts of $1k on 2002 Maximas are already common. Isn't this strange for a new model? Were 2000 Maximas discounted like this?

I think the 2k's were discounted pretty heavily as well. I leased mine for $351 a month for an SE with leather, BOSE, power everything, etc. Another friend bought the exact same car as mine for about $24k out the door, tax, tag, title, etc. Thats a pretty steep discount on a car with a $28k+ sticker.

Of course, all these discounts killed resale value. That $28k car is now lucky to be worth $16k less than 2 years later.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:46 PM

There will never be a perfect time to buy any new car...there will always be an upside and downside to each time period...mostly downsides.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE
There will never be a perfect time to buy any new car...there will always be an upside and downside to each time period...mostly downsides.
True but there are trends that can be identified and there are those who work at Nissan dealers that hang here that may have some inside info. In general I don't think it hurts to ask.

Jim
Old 02-05-2002, 10:08 AM

True but there are trends that can be identified and there are those who work at Nissan dealers that hang here that may have some inside info. In general I don't think it hurts to ask.

Jim
You can always ask, I'm just saying that regardless of what upside or downside you hear, there will be a downside or upside contrary to it. So, my answer to your question is that any answer you hear won't actually make your decision any easier.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:37 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Jim...

Use the force Luke...

you know the answer.. that's why you keep asking. You've done a ton of research, yet you are still uneasy about it. Go with your gut. Your gut wants the Acura doesnt it?

Well... The 2k2 Max is the best value out there. But, the only way to get out of a maxima without losing your @ss is if gets stolen or totaled (and getting top dollar) You know they are slowing down production, pushing the altima hard, gearing up for a new platform and generally offering spotty service.

I think you'd love the max.. just plan on keeping it. You won't be as 'liquid' as you would be with an Acura. But the Max will be faithfully waiting for you every morning. The max is still a better value on the lot. But you *never* hear anyone say they took a bath on an Acura/Honda. You tend to own your cars awhile, so this may all be a non-issue for you.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:43 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Jim...

Originally posted by TimW
But you *never* hear anyone say they took a bath on an Acura/Honda. You tend to own your cars awhile, so this may all be a non-issue for you.
I took a bath when they totalled my Accord.

...in $$CASH$$
Old 02-05-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: Jim...

Use the force Luke...

you know the answer.. that's why you keep asking. You've done a ton of research, yet you are still uneasy about it. Go with your gut. Your gut wants the Acura doesnt it?

Well... The 2k2 Max is the best value out there. But, the only way to get out of a maxima without losing your @ss is if gets stolen or totaled (and getting top dollar) You know they are slowing down production, pushing the altima hard, gearing up for a new platform and generally offering spotty service.

I think you'd love the max.. just plan on keeping it. You won't be as 'liquid' as you would be with an Acura. But the Max will be faithfully waiting for you every morning. The max is still a better value on the lot. But you *never* hear anyone say they took a bath on an Acura/Honda. You tend to own your cars awhile, so this may all be a non-issue for you.

Well the new car is for my wife and I'm trying to shut up about it. I just want her to get something she likes and not blame me later for pressuring her into a Maxima. She's really careful with her money (moreso than me) and wants a good value. As you've said, the Maxima is tough to beat...it offers alot for the money. Camry & Accord don't even come close to the Maxima's power, interior, etc.

I'm hesitating because Nissan is at a bit of a crossroads right now. I'm going to hate it if they heavily discount 2002 Maximas come this June to make room for the 2003 Maxima/Altima. I almost cried in 1999 when they offered $6k rebates on '99s to make room for the 2000...since I liked the '99 better.

I suppose we should drive a new TL-S now that we've driven a new Maxima...just to be fair. According to CarsDirect, the TLS is about $2k more than a Maxima GLE similarly equipped. I'm not yet sure if its worth it.

Sigh....

Jim
Old 02-05-2002, 12:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I negotiated 28,000 and .9% for my Sterling Mist 6-speed SE with everything except HLSD and nav. Should be getting it tomorrow. Took a lot of haggling and BS, like him "forgetting" to add in my side airbags and other crap. The sticker for the car was 30,213.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wait...

I think that one will be able to get a Max much cheaper
by the end of summer. Especially the automatics. It is the last model
year. A friend of mine got his Max GLE for $19K back in 99 in NH
brand new. September is THE month to get a 2002 Max IMHO.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:32 PM

again...

you know the answer to this.. they will be offer HUGE discounts on them. They have done it before and have shown they will probably keep doing it. They dont care at all about protecting buyer's resale.

Whats it mean? well, if you drive the car for 6-7 years, it wont matter. But it you try to get out of it in 3 years of less, you will lose some cash.. How much? Probably 3-4K more than a car with good resale.

in 2000
a TL was 30K. now goes for 20-22

a 2k GLE was 27K and dealers are offering 14-17K

No spilled milk here.. I didnt want to spend the extra 3k. My fault. I'm in denial, but I think I knew at the time that resale would come back to haunt me.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

plus

Buying at the end of the year will save you a bunch in tax too.
In my city you'll pay about $500 tax (for $25000 car) in the first year of the new car ownership. If you buy at the end of the year you'll pay significantly less (a small portion of the year). The next year the rate is much lower. I am sure the same goes for insurance costs.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:18 PM

4K cert

Please explain this. If they gave you 4K off I am sure it was off MSRP. Are trying to say you got 4K off invoice? If right now you can get either 1K off invoice or 3.9 for 60 months what in the world makes you to believe 6K cuts are coming up?
Old 02-05-2002, 01:23 PM

Re: wait...

Originally posted by a701440
I think that one will be able to get a Max much cheaper
by the end of summer. Especially the automatics. It is the last model
year. A friend of mine got his Max GLE for $19K back in 99 in NH
brand new. September is THE month to get a 2002 Max IMHO.
Except, at that point, the 2003 model will be on the table and you might want to buy the latest and greatest...again a downside to every upside.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sure, except I said: "THE month to buy a 2002 Max" - not 2003 )
Old 02-05-2002, 02:00 PM

point is...

the acura is the safest bet..

the max is a leap of faith. You have to want it. It should move ya, if you know what I mean. To me, the maxima has more spirit, more soul than a Honda/Acura. Bottom line. Not *everything* is about money. You *still* get a good car for your dollar. The acura's bore me to tears. The max makes you want to drive it like a sports car.

While I'm alittle bitter about being locked in right now, it sucks to buy things worrying about what they will sell for. I mean, when you buy an engagement ring do you ask the salesperson "hey, if I change my mind what would something like this sell for?" Some of ya might, but I dont.

Jim, I know you love the Maxima. Sounds like your wife does too. Love ain't cheap. In this case, love will cost you about 3K *IF* you ever fall out of love. Pretty simple. Want perfect car or a car you love? Sometimes love/hate
Old 02-05-2002, 04:54 PM

Sure, except I said: "THE month to buy a 2002 Max" - not 2003 )
Right, so the downside to September is that there will then be a 2003 Maxima for sale and your 2002 will depreciate, dramatically, immediately.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hmm

So pay 28K now or 23K in September - after that it will depriciate immediately. I'd rather take 23K in September. 5K in 6 months doing nothing is not a bad chunk of pizza money for me. I'll take it. But then again 23K in September may not materialize... I think it will... recalling 1999.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Right, so the downside to September is that there will then be a 2003 Maxima for sale and your 2002 will depreciate, dramatically, immediately.

I'm not sure, but I think you are a 'the glass is half empty' kind of guy.

Jim
Old 02-05-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: 4K cert

Originally posted by Blackgums100
what in the world makes you to believe 6K cuts are coming up?

I'm not sure if you are addressing this question to me. But if you are...I suspect this because this is EXACTLY what Nissan did in late 1999.

You could walk up to a new, fully loaded Maxima GLE with a sticker price of $30k+ on the window and get $6000 taken off without even haggling.

Why you ask? Because the newly redesigned 2000 Maxima was coming and the factory gave dealers $6000 incentives to move out leftover '99s. I have little doubt that this will happen again in late 2002 when the newly redesigned 2003 Maximas come out. I don't really want to pay $27k for a car now if I can get it for $21k in 6 or 7 months.

Jim
Old 02-05-2002, 08:46 PM

Re: point is...

the acura is the safest bet..

the max is a leap of faith. You have to want it. It should move ya, if you know what I mean. To me, the maxima has more spirit, more soul than a Honda/Acura. Bottom line. Not *everything* is about money. You *still* get a good car for your dollar. The acura's bore me to tears. The max makes you want to drive it like a sports car.

While I'm alittle bitter about being locked in right now, it sucks to buy things worrying about what they will sell for. I mean, when you buy an engagement ring do you ask the salesperson "hey, if I change my mind what would something like this sell for?" Some of ya might, but I dont.

Jim, I know you love the Maxima. Sounds like your wife does too. Love ain't cheap. In this case, love will cost you about 3K *IF* you ever fall out of love. Pretty simple. Want perfect car or a car you love? Sometimes love/hate

Tim, yes, I understand what you mean. I do love the car and I'm not so much concerned about what the car will SELL for used in 2-3 years as much as how much I can BUY it for new if I can just wait 6-7 months for the deep discounts. It would be sheer joy to get this car for $21k since I already love the car at $27k.

Jim
Old 02-05-2002, 08:51 PM

or you could buy (2) 1999's!

(runs and hides)
Old 02-05-2002, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Wizeguy
or you could buy (2) 1999's!

(runs and hides)

Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?

Jim
Old 02-07-2002, 05:06 PM

Re: hmm

So pay 28K now or 23K in September - after that it will depriciate immediately. I'd rather take 23K in September. 5K in 6 months doing nothing is not a bad chunk of pizza money for me. I'll take it. But then again 23K in September may not materialize... I think it will... recalling 1999.
23k for a 2k2 Max 6months down the road, wow, what a sweet deal!! Around that time, dealers will try to get rid of the any remainder 2k2s, Max, Alti or whatever.....the question for me is, is the G35 that much better over the 2k2 Max to compensate that 6-8k difference? My answer, NOPE. I plan on getting the 2k2 6sp Max, mod it heavily with that savings and go hunting....I'm counting the days, opps, months!
Old 02-07-2002, 05:20 PM

May be the best time in 02 or not. Who could guess. If you need or want a car that is a factor.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:48 PM

Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by 2kseman

23k for a 2k2 Max 6months down the road, wow, what a sweet deal!! Around that time, dealers will try to get rid of the any remainder 2k2s, Max, Alti or whatever.....the question for me is, is the G35 that much better over the 2k2 Max to compensate that 6-8k difference? My answer, NOPE. I plan on getting the 2k2 6sp Max, mod it heavily with that savings and go hunting....I'm counting the days, opps, months!

Let's form a club since I'm going to wait also. Not easy since the wife and I'd really like a new car!

Jim
Old 02-07-2002, 11:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: hmm

Let's form a club since I'm going to wait also. Not easy since the wife and I'd really like a new car!

Jim
well, think of the SAVINGS you'll enjoy in about 6 months!! My wife always has this "lets get the coupons and save when we go to the store" mentality, so waiting isn't that bad for me.....let her know of that 6-8grand you'll be saving and my, my, my, what a nice caret diamond for that!! good luck.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by 2kseman

well, think of the SAVINGS you'll enjoy in about 6 months!! My wife always has this "lets get the coupons and save when we go to the store" mentality, so waiting isn't that bad for me.....let her know of that 6-8grand you'll be saving and my, my, my, what a nice caret diamond for that!! good luck.

My wife is the same way and she didn't even hesitate when I suggested that we wait for bigger rebates. I guess I wanted the car more than she did....and its going to be her car!

Jim
Old 02-08-2002, 06:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hmm

You can always get a better deal on a car when it is getting close to the end of the model year, especially if there is a change to the upcoming model. However, if you are trading in you can also expect your trade value to drop as the new model year approaches. Either way, the dealers make money off of you. If they aren't making it on the sale of the new car, they will pick it up on your trade.

My wife is the same way and she didn't even hesitate when I suggested that we wait for bigger rebates. I guess I wanted the car more than she did....and its going to be her car!

Jim
Old 02-08-2002, 06:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by bimmersnomore

Please be careful how you use the quote feature.

Unless my car is a junker, I sell it privately. You can use the info at www.carbuyingtips.com to minimize what the dealer gets from you.

Jim
Old 02-08-2002, 07:06 AM

Re: Re: 4K cert

I'm not sure if you are addressing this question to me. But if you are...I suspect this because this is EXACTLY what Nissan did in late 1999.

You could walk up to a new, fully loaded Maxima GLE with a sticker price of $30k+ on the window and get $6000 taken off without even haggling.

Why you ask? Because the newly redesigned 2000 Maxima was coming and the factory gave dealers $6000 incentives to move out leftover '99s. I have little doubt that this will happen again in late 2002 when the newly redesigned 2003 Maximas come out. I don't really want to pay $27k for a car now if I can get it for $21k in 6 or 7 months.

Jim
OK so you were saying 6K off the sticker, not off of invoice. That is all I wanted clarified.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: 4K cert

Originally posted by Blackgums100

OK so you were saying 6K off the sticker, not off of invoice. That is all I wanted clarified.

Yes. However, you can also get quite a bit taken off of invoice right now (as well as year-end) in addition to the current $1k factory rebate. Go to www.carbuyingtips.com for the full story.

Jim
Old 02-08-2002, 10:10 PM

it's always a good time to buy a 2k2
Old 02-09-2002, 07:27 PM

Great thread!

I am in the same place. I need to get a new car by December (lease up). I was thinking of buying a Max in ~April. But, maybe I should wait until Sept. and hope for good deals. The problem is that I want a majestic blue with 6 speed and no or minimal options. I guess that these are rare.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What we need is a Group Deal on 2K2s

Wouldn't that be sweet. List $31K. GD Price ... $22K
Old 05-14-2002, 07:52 PM

Deals

Well I paid about 1k less than invoice and I would consider that a good deal back in april. I dont forsee it gettting much cheeper than that. I could be wrong. Who Knows.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:44 PM

Re: Re: Is now REALLY a good time to buy a 2002 Maxima?

Originally posted by madmax2k

I think the 2k's were discounted pretty heavily as well. I leased mine for $351 a month for an SE with leather, BOSE, power everything, etc. Another friend bought the exact same car as mine for about $24k out the door, tax, tag, title, etc. Thats a pretty steep discount on a car with a $28k+ sticker.

Of course, all these discounts killed resale value. That $28k car is now lucky to be worth $16k less than 2 years later.
How many months on a lease and with how much down? I thought I got a killer deal @ $400.00 month $0.00 down for 48 months.
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-14-2002, 09:00 PM

I had the same question about when to buy, my answer: As soon as the exact car I wanted came available.

To be honest, I wanted Sterling Mist on my 99 and settled for White since there were no Sterling SE 5 speeds available so late in the model year. So when I found my 2K2 Sterling Mist 6 Speed with HLSD, Black leather, and everything else but Navi (just as I wanted it), with 3.9% financing for $28k (no trade), I went for it.

That was $3800 off sticker, not as good as the $5500 off sticker I got on my 99, but good enough for me.

This car is sick. I plan on having it for a long time. I'm glad See5 has a picture of his online, since it's the same as mine and I can email it to people to show them what the car looks like.

If you have a specific color/option combo in mind, just understand you may not find it if you wait.