5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake Line Replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Brake Line Replacement??

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 Max with 196xxx miles. Yesterday I saw a fluid on my garage floor on the driver's side of the car just in front of the rear wheel. I jacked the car up and can see a hose that appears to have become abraded from rubbing against a bracket. This line comes out from the center of the car next to the gas tank, runs to the frame rail,makes a turn and continues to what looks like the rear caliper. In looking at the FSM hydraulic line diagram on page 10 of the Brake Section, am I correct in assuming this is a secondary brake line? I have a photo I will attach.

I did a search of the forum for "replacing brake line" but did not see anything addressing my issue (although admittedly I may have missed it).

Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There is no such thing as a secondary brake line on these cars, just the one for every wheel. In your picture you have what appears to be part of your EVAP system in the forefront (what appears to be a cluster of hoses damp with liquid). In the back you have that long thick line running from left to right, that is your e-brake cable, its a simple metal cable housed in a thick sealed rubber line.

That being said, the ebrake cable has nothing to do with any fluids, so it being frayed is incidental. If youre 100% sure the fluid came from there, its possible the end of the line got damaged/unsealed thru simple wear and tear, allowing moisture inside - perhaps enough over the years to make it visible when the line got frayed. This wont be an issue unless you get freezing weather, in which case that water can freeze and your ebrake cable can get stuck engaged.

I would investigate other sources for the fluid. See if it smells like gas and whatnot. But again, that big cable has nothing to do with your brake hydraulics so dont worry about that so much.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
There is no such thing as a secondary brake line on these cars, just the one for every wheel. In your picture you have what appears to be part of your EVAP system in the forefront (what appears to be a cluster of hoses damp with liquid). In the back you have that long thick line running from left to right, that is your e-brake cable, its a simple metal cable housed in a thick sealed rubber line.

That being said, the ebrake cable has nothing to do with any fluids, so it being frayed is incidental. If youre 100% sure the fluid came from there, its possible the end of the line got damaged/unsealed thru simple wear and tear, allowing moisture inside - perhaps enough over the years to make it visible when the line got frayed. This wont be an issue unless you get freezing weather, in which case that water can freeze and your ebrake cable can get stuck engaged.

I would investigate other sources for the fluid. See if it smells like gas and whatnot. But again, that big cable has nothing to do with your brake hydraulics so dont worry about that so much.
Thanks Slamrod. I think what you maybe referring to a as a cluster of hoses is actually a metal support brace with the thick rubber line running behind it. I will have to read up on the EVAP system as I am not familiar with it. I am 99% sure this is where the fluid is coming from as it is localized to this area and does not appear to be dripping or running to this spot from somewhere else. I live in Northern Colorado so freezing can be an issue, I will just make sure not to set the brake. I smelled the fluid and it just smells like a mild oil to me. There is no gas smell. I have been keeping an eye on my brake fluid level and it is not going down, so I am beginning to think I was mistaken in thinking it was part of a brake line, but I was just not sure what else it could be. It was dripping liquid today from the same spot.

Would the e-brake cable contain an oil? I will look up the EVAP system and see if that could be part of my issue.

Chris

Chris
Old 01-16-2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by User1
If you had a hydraulic leak that visible, it would be quite notable in pedal feedback and very soon. Keep that trusty cable E-brake in mind/hand when your pedal goes to the floor and your car is still moving forward lol. Safe? Not really. Practical until you can get it fixed? Kinda... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has E-braked a hooptie around town in my younger, more carefree days Considering the only two fluids that exist back there are hydraulic fluid and gasoline, and you have ruled those out, I am at a loss as to what we are observing.
Hi User1. I drove the car today and the brakes feel totally normal. I also just checked the fluid level in the reservoir and it is still within the normal range but I will keep an eye on it.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Do you have anybody do work on your car. Oil changes ,inspection,because i spray oil on brake lines that are damaged .Because if you don't they will rust solid.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by krismax
Do you have anybody do work on your car. Oil changes ,inspection,because i spray oil on brake lines that are damaged .Because if you don't they will rust solid.
No, the only thing I did to the car recently was a transmission drain and fill. It has had no recent work.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Here are a couple of more photos. Hopefully they are better. They are taken from the driver's side looking toward the rear wheel. I also felt above where the hose is wet but did not feel any fluid above this area. I also started reading the EC section of the FSM. Could this be the water separator line that runs to the EVAP canister?

Last edited by Chris8428; 01-17-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The line in all 4 of those pics is your ebrake cable. Again it has nothing to do with hydraulics or any fluids for that matter, you can pretty much rule that cable out.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 PM

I wonder if it could be your rear trailing arm bushing that is leaking? Those are filled with oil if I recall correctly, and when torn can leak. From your latest pictures it appears as though the leak is from the outside of this bushing.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
The line in all 4 of those pics is your ebrake cable. Again it has nothing to do with hydraulics or any fluids for that matter, you can pretty much rule that cable out.

Slamrod--That is good to know. That cable is no longer part of the equation.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout
I wonder if it could be your rear trailing arm bushing that is leaking? Those are filled with oil if I recall correctly, and when torn can leak. From your latest pictures it appears as though the leak is from the outside of this bushing.
Mr. Trout--Thank you. I will do some research on the bushing. I noticed it would appear it is coming from the bushing, but I was thinking it was a solid piece of rubber. I just checked the Autozone website and the bushings they sell are a composite rubber. I will see if the FSM has any info when I get home.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by User1
Great photos. I don't know enough about EVAP to comment, but I did find this video a while back when researching for my swap. EVAP stuff appears to be aft of your leak location. Perhaps Mr. Trout is on to something? I'm not familiar with fluid filled suspension bushings.

https://youtu.be/Zs4TCyDAdiw?t=49

Thank you for the video. Yes the EVAP canister is on the other side of the wheel from where the rear EVAP canister is located. In looking at the FSM and the basic EVAP diagram there is a water separator line that runs from the canister. Unfortunately with the basic diagram I cannot tell where it runs to. I will check the lines that run from the canister under the rear fender and see if that provides any clues.

Chris