5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Awwww yeeaaahh!

Old 03-30-2019, 05:24 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Awwww yeeaaahh!






User1 is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:49 AM
  #2  
Father of the 00 VI
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: amsterdam ,new york
Posts: 3,056
Very nice, i did not know anybody made those with camber plates front and rear.

I much might i ask?
krismax is online now  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:51 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
No camber adjustment for rear, only front. $1060 shipped. $60 more than I originally paid for the car.

https://www.vividracing.com/racing-t...150883877.html
User1 is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 05:56 AM
  #4  
Got Retrofit?
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 14,554
Nice. I’m converting mine to bags with Airlift 3P management
ChrisMan287 is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
Nice. Iím converting mine to bags with Airlift 3P management
Very nice! Thought about bags, didn't want the headache. Maybe another day.
User1 is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 06:22 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 89
Perfect. You also don't have to wrestle with spring compressors to install regular struts and shocks. The last time I did my suspension I used a spring compressor and for that reason alone I will probably get coil overs next time. A straight forward install and unbeatable drive quality.
2k2albatross is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,072
what springs rates?
Donkeypunch is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 PM
  #8  
Newbie - Just Registered
iTrader: (10)
 
Slamrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 826
Originally Posted by 2k2albatross View Post
Perfect. You also don't have to wrestle with spring compressors to install regular struts and shocks. The last time I did my suspension I used a spring compressor and for that reason alone I will probably get coil overs next time.
Struts + springs was the very first job ive ever done on any car ever, let alone any mechanical task, WOW was I in over my head. Spring compressors are a PITA to use... unless you have an impact gun lol.Without an impact gun its a tortuous, tedious task. Coilovers are always sweet but they definitely require more fk fk games in terms of adjusting them, keeping them clean, etc. All that being said I like coils.

Sweet setup though user1, cant wait to see them installed. Only question now is what the mod-bug parasite embedded in your brain demands you purchase next to satisfy its hunger
Slamrod is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 07:36 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Donkeypunch View Post
what springs rates?
Standard 8k/6k. I didn't opt for the upgraded springs, extreme drop, or any custom spring rates. Having no experience with any of that, I wouldn't know the difference. All I know is I just crossed 3k miles on the car and I'm ready to get off of these S Techs! Looks nice, but no travel in the front warrants a high level of alertness and sticking to known routes so as not to damage the car.

I'm looking at getting everything installed this weekend. Each of all 4 corners are getting new coilovers, Brembo discs (12.6" 350Z fronts), new (Brakemotive remans) calipers (2008 350Z dual piston fronts), Akebono ceramic pads, new wheel bearing and hub assemblies (Moog rears, Timken fronts, all bearings stamped NSK Japan, the good stuff), new baffle plates (the metal splash guards), and complete brake fluid flush. Weekend after I'll replace lower control arms with OEM, Moog sway bar end links, all new bushings for the rear end, and the entire suspension with be completely overhauled.

Last edited by User1; 04-03-2019 at 01:38 AM.
User1 is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Slamrod View Post
Sweet setup though user1, cant wait to see them installed. Only question now is what the mod-bug parasite embedded in your brain demands you purchase next to satisfy its hunger
Stereo. Too much to list In a nutshell, two 12's, 4 way active front stage, coaxials, 6x9's and everything required to power and control all of it. But I won't be running a head unit.
User1 is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 07:44 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
I'll get plenty of photos of the suspension stuff while I'm installing it. Maybe put up a little picture thread. Haven't seen any related threads as of late (last 5 or 8 years anyway). Gotta keep the 5th gen spirit alive!
User1 is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 08:32 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 89
I wrestled those spring compressors together with a ratchet. It was torture.

Good point regarding the impact wrench, that would have been a life saver.
2k2albatross is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 06:07 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 74
Hmm maybe I should have gone for those instead of the economy rockauto $55/ pair brand where top plates weren't aligned properly and took a huge amount of wrestling them into place with a friend's help, and now the rears bottom out whenever I go over bumps.
chop_sooie is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:39 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by chop_sooie View Post
Hmm maybe I should have gone for those instead of the economy rockauto $55/ pair brand where top plates weren't aligned properly and took a huge amount of wrestling them into place with a friend's help, and now the rears bottom out whenever I go over bumps.
$55 a pair? How many miles did you get out of them?
User1 is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 06:42 AM
  #15  
Supporting Maxima.org Member
iTrader: (3)
 
LA02MAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 5,381
Nice! I recently got BC coilovers as well, but mainly to raise my car up a bit due to axle issues. I raised it maybe 1/2" higher than the H-tech drop and voila! No more vibration from the axles. I love the damping/ride on these coilovers as well.
LA02MAX is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 07:31 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 4,626
whats ur drop look like ? u happy with it? looks like H-tech weren't much lower than H&R maybe by 0.25 inch.
Prophecy99 is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 05:38 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 75
Now that's how you make an entrance! Glad to see some cool updates
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 07:37 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Got a lot of work to do this weekend. Still have a few parts I'm waiting for from the dealership. I may even go to an LKQ tomorrow and pull a set of hubs to have blasted and powdercoated then build them up and just install them rather than rebuild mine. Those Brembos are nice. They have a nice coating of some sort on the hat and exposed area. Should keep rust away for quite a while. I gotta pick up a 12 ton Harbor Freight press tomorrow to do the bearing work. SO glad I did inner and outer tie rods while the engine was out. Inners would have been a pain. Driver side was tight. I imagine I could have done some damage to the rack trying to get that one off with the engine in.


User1 is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 04:28 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,930
Got what $2000 or more worth of parts, but a $300 stove...man...you're crazy! But I'm onboard, can't wait to see what this turns into!
MadMax07SL is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:22 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Actually, that's a fifty dollar Craigslist stove
User1 is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:23 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by User1 View Post
Actually, that's a fifty dollar Craigslist stove
...and $2,000 in parts to fix it up?
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by YoungMike85 View Post
...and $2,000 in parts to fix it up?
Isn't that how you're supposed to do it?
User1 is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:31 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 75
LOL...exactly!
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
What can I say? I like to save money!
User1 is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:40 PM
  #25  
Newbie - Just Registered
iTrader: (10)
 
Slamrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 826
Buy some speedbleeders for your calipers. Makes bleeding your brakes a treat.
Slamrod is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:44 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
I'll flush the entire system before any other work is done so that I'm not introducing old nasty fluid into the new calipers.



User1 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Has anybody run these?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-isc-susp...370mmcovers~i/

I'm thinking about spraying the coilovers down with Mothers spray wax then throwing these covers on. Also thinking about wrapping a small vinyl tube or something in the top to allow it to breathe.
User1 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
User1 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:41 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 4,626
yes guys have used the protective sleeves in the north east, i would definately do it if ihad coils as well. and wax cant hurt either.

the torque kit is worth it if you have decent engine mounts, if not, there's no point, it will tighten up one end per say and then make aged mounts work even harder.

there were a few guys who made thier own with just home depot parts. fish eye hook etc etc.

if i had new mounts i would have bought the nwp torque link used or something.
Prophecy99 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:42 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 4,626
props on alll the fixing up ! look forward to see install pics
Prophecy99 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 AM
  #31  
Newbie - Just Registered
iTrader: (10)
 
Slamrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 826
The coilover covers are a double edged sword. They definitely are great at keeping crap off of the coilovers, but if something does manage to get in behind them, it gets trapped there. Overall for you specifically id recommend them because I know you are **** about making sure everything is proper. As for the NWP torque link, I had it on one of my 4th gens. It reduces engine movement, which is good when you are launching from a standstill - it lets more energy transfer to the wheels rather than the motor mounts. As prophecy said you might wish to avoid it if you are not running poly motor mounts, you should get those first if you want to go down that road as they are basically serving the same purpose. You can also expect a little more motor vibration felt with the torque link. Im probably going to install it on my 02' eventually, and maybe those traction bars that chrisman in the 4th gen subforum is currently toying with. When i finally get my intake+exhaust+tune (still waiting for that 4'' intake...) and have 300whp, Ill need everything I can to avoid wheelhop. Wheelhop = lost power, and worse, unhappy differential bearings from the axles violently slopping around. The last thing in the world that i need is for my 6th gen HLSD trans to have damaged bearings lol
Slamrod is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post
yes guys have used the protective sleeves in the north east, i would definately do it if ihad coils as well. and wax cant hurt either.

the torque kit is worth it if you have decent engine mounts, if not, there's no point, it will tighten up one end per say and then make aged mounts work even harder.

there were a few guys who made thier own with just home depot parts. fish eye hook etc etc.

if i had new mounts i would have bought the nwp torque link used or something.
All 4 of my mounts are brand new (3k miles now) OEM, non-electric mounts. I stumbled across this kit as I was piecing together parts for my own design. I was going to use one of these and make my own bracketry:

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

It's a good concept, but I'm not sure I like the engine mounting point with the NWP kit. I want a mount point farther outside of the torque axis.
User1 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Slamrod View Post
The coilover covers are a double edged sword. They definitely are great at keeping crap off of the coilovers, but if something does manage to get in behind them, it gets trapped there. Overall for you specifically id recommend them because I know you are **** about making sure everything is proper. As for the NWP torque link, I had it on one of my 4th gens. It reduces engine movement, which is good when you are launching from a standstill - it lets more energy transfer to the wheels rather than the motor mounts. As prophecy said you might wish to avoid it if you are not running poly motor mounts, you should get those first if you want to go down that road as they are basically serving the same purpose. You can also expect a little more motor vibration felt with the torque link. Im probably going to install it on my 02' eventually, and maybe those traction bars that chrisman in the 4th gen subforum is currently toying with. When i finally get my intake+exhaust+tune (still waiting for that 4'' intake...) and have 300whp, Ill need everything I can to avoid wheelhop. Wheelhop = lost power, and worse, unhappy differential bearings from the axles violently slopping around. The last thing in the world that i need is for my 6th gen HLSD trans to have damaged bearings lol
Trapping dirt and moisture was the first thing that crossed my mind, and why I initially thought the coil covers to be a bad idea. But I'm in Florida, and I don't plan on taking the car off road or through any mud bogs any time soon. I pretty much only need to worry about moisture, hence my very next thought of how to allow them to breathe, like with a tube up top or something. I like the idea of the Chrisman arms (maybe their new official name?), but the pictures show them to obstruct the area where the lower splash guards would be. Splash guards trump traction bars for me.
User1 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post
props on alll the fixing up ! look forward to see install pics
Still waiting for a few parts to arrive. I went to the yard Sunday morning to pull steering knuckles but there was only one left on the car I looked at and then I realized I forgot my giant axle nut socket anyway so I just robbed some interior stuff and went home. As soon as I pull a set of knuckles, get them blasted, powdercoated and new bearings and hubs pressed in, I'll have everything I need to do the entire suspension overhaul.

Got a good deal on these, though, brand new at about $90 a piece on Ebay:




Also, I had my rotors cut down 2mm. I finally found an awesome machine shop (relatively new in Tampa, so I have no hookups for anything), and he only charged me $40 bucks. So I gave him $60 and said I'll be back! He's got everything and anything I could ever need from a machine shop, and I get the impression this old-timer knows his stuff, so that's a great feeling!

Anyway, the rotors are 2008 350Z Brembo blanks, which would clear, but just barely. So if anyone is interested, the 2008 350Z front brake upgrade, detailed in gous44l's thread, here:

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ions-help.html

is a great deal, adds a piston and almost an inch and a half rotor diameter on each side, is direct bolt-on, and requires only light lathe work for rotor hardware clearance (see below).

User1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Moe
General Maxima Discussion
2
03-07-2001 03:27 PM
TimW
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
4
12-05-2000 10:47 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Awwww yeeaaahh!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.