5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rewire your turn signals so that the "hi" mode is always on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 06:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rewire your turn signals so that the "hi" mode is always on?

Anyone know how to do this on a 5thgen?? I have HID Headlights and Foglights.. But I have the Extreme Whites in my 1157 turn signals. The color doesn't match right with my other lights. Anyone know how to re-wire them so that it's always on hi mode? Running dual filaments.. I know you also have to change the amp on the fuse too right??
Old 02-04-2002, 08:10 PM

Re: Rewire your turn signals so that the "hi" mode is always on?

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
Anyone know how to do this on a 5thgen?? I have HID Headlights and Foglights.. But I have the Extreme Whites in my 1157 turn signals. The color doesn't match right with my other lights. Anyone know how to re-wire them so that it's always on hi mode? Running dual filaments.. I know you also have to change the amp on the fuse too right??
No, I don't know how, but I haven't really thought of how to do that, because I LIKE HAVING TURN SIGNALS. I have Polarg 1157, and they don't match unless they're blinking. Do you want to rewire them so they're on high, but they blink low when you're signalling?
Old 02-04-2002, 09:10 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Re: Rewire your turn signals so that the "hi" mode is always on?

Originally posted by ru4real

No, I don't know how, but I haven't really thought of how to do that, because I LIKE HAVING TURN SIGNALS. I have Polarg 1157, and they don't match unless they're blinking. Do you want to rewire them so they're on high, but they blink low when you're signalling?
that would be good.. i also have HID's and that would be cool. will the bulbs burn out quicker n stuff? the harness burn or stuff like that?
Old 02-04-2002, 11:48 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Very simple and FREE solution...

Remove the bulb, place a piece of electrical tape over one "knub", reinstall, test to make sure you covered the right one, if not, remove and cover the other "knub".

This solution allows NO UGLY A$$ amber color(Xtreme White color in your case) to be produced UNLESS the blinker is flashing. Simple solution thats been around for awhile. Plus your 1157 bulbs will last MUCH longer, since they are only used as blinkers and not running lamps.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:01 AM

Re: Very simple and FREE solution...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Remove the bulb, place a piece of electrical tape over one "knub", reinstall, test to make sure you covered the right one, if not, remove and cover the other "knub".

This solution allows NO UGLY A$$ amber color(Xtreme White color in your case) to be produced UNLESS the blinker is flashing. Simple solution thats been around for awhile. Plus your 1157 bulbs will last MUCH longer, since they are only used as blinkers and not running lamps.
SO then they won't be on when the running lights are on? So basically the only time they will be on is when I signal. No need to upgrade fuses or anything right? Woun't shaving off one of the ***** yield the same?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:09 AM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Very simple and FREE solution...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

i remember you told me this a long long time ago.. i think i'll finally try it
Old 02-05-2002, 08:35 AM

Or I can basically just get like a 21W 1157 and shave off the top nub, put it in backwards and just have the turn signals on all the time when the headlights are on?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:01 AM

Re: Re: Very simple and FREE solution...

SO then they won't be on when the running lights are on? So basically the only time they will be on is when I signal. No need to upgrade fuses or anything right? Woun't shaving off one of the ***** yield the same?
Yes. No need to upgrade fuses(YOU SHOULD NEVER UPGRADE FUSES!). Shaving off the **** will work also. It's just a lot simpler with the tape and you can always remove it later.

I think this should be the FIRST mod any Maxima owner does, since it's FREE, easy, and looks a lot better at night with just white light on the front of the car.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:00 AM

Re: Re: Very simple and FREE solution...

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
i remember you told me this a long long time ago.. i think i'll finally try it
Did you spend the 2-mins. yet?

Or are you lazier than me on the HIDs?

I added it to the "How To" sticky: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....3&pagenumber=4
Old 02-11-2002, 01:50 PM

I did the "mod" (I have trouble saying that because to me taking 5 min. to put electrical tape over my "nubs" hardly can be justified as a "mod" in my mind) except I have PIAA Platinums all around.

I'll post pics, because I have "wannabe" HID bulbs and ion-lens foglights, but from the front my Max looks like a Lexus (HID-blue headlight with yellow fogs) It looks great without the corners on all of the time!

I would definately recommend this to everyone!