5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Order Alternator online...???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 PM

Order Alternator online...???

Hey Buds,

My 'lifetime' alternator from Pepboys took a dump. Although i have considered getting another one with them, this is the 3rd alternator from them in 4yrs. Yeah, they WILL replace it with another rebuilt but whats the point when you have to tear the car apart again, to reinstall one.

I was considering buying a NEW one from Rock Auto...but its an online deal. The price is cheaper than anyone, and its a TYC OE Manufacturer Hitach.

NEW?

I don't know...the problem is if it doesn't work, i have to send it back and my mechanic will have the car all apart...is it worth it to save $70 bucks?
??

What say you???

Last edited by FlaMark; 05-29-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 PM

Ebay for new alt and work on cleaning up and rebuilding your old one in the meantime to keep as a spare. While you're at it, replace/repair/upgrade engine, battery and tranny grounds and connections. Night/day difference with old cars.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by User1
Ebay for new alt and work on cleaning up and rebuilding your old one in the meantime to keep as a spare. While you're at it, replace/repair/upgrade engine, battery and tranny grounds and connections. Night/day difference with old cars.
I like the replacing cable ideas.

Now...WHY buy from 'ebay'?
Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 AM

I say get the replacement from Pep Boys via your LLT ... and also buy the new unit from Rock.

You've spent the $$ at Pep Boys already and it sounds like your ready to spend more.

Replace the warranted unit, buy the new unit.

If either fails, you've got one in reserve for use while you wait on a replacement.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I say get the replacement from Pep Boys via your LLT ... and also buy the new unit from Rock.

You've spent the $$ at Pep Boys already and it sounds like your ready to spend more.

Replace the warranted unit, buy the new unit.

If either fails, you've got one in reserve for use while you wait on a replacement.
Even better.

I'm just biased towards auto parts stores. I avoid them like the plague. Just as a general principle. Local auto parts store crap just feels cheap to me and is used only in a pinch. Probably a bad rep for them considering their predominantly incompetent customer base, but I'd rather just not deal with it. Never had warranty/return issues with anything I've ever purchased online or ebay. I've found my best deals on ebay, still a very, very competitive market place. And in many cases, the ebay seller doesn't even want the old part back if it fails/is the wrong part, etc.. Too much of a hassle. They either send a new part or refund. I don't like the idea of keeping stuff like that, but I have fought with many sellers in the past about sending back the wrong/broken stuff and they simply do so much volume they don't want to bother with returns.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by User1
Even better.

I'm just biased towards auto parts stores. I avoid them like the plague. Just as a general principle. Local auto parts store crap just feels cheap to me and is used only in a pinch. Probably a bad rep for them considering their predominantly incompetent customer base, but I'd rather just not deal with it. Never had warranty/return issues with anything I've ever purchased online or ebay. I've found my best deals on ebay, still a very, very competitive market place. And in many cases, the ebay seller doesn't even want the old part back if it fails/is the wrong part, etc.. Too much of a hassle. They either send a new part or refund. I don't like the idea of keeping stuff like that, but I have fought with many sellers in the past about sending back the wrong/broken stuff and they simply do so much volume they don't want to bother with returns.
I agree, but I still haven't had any issues with altys from Advance (plus use the 25% off code since everything is overpriced). Even with underdrive pulley, they idle right at 14.7 with accessories on.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FlaMark
Hey Buds,

My 'lifetime' alternator from Pepboys took a dump. Although i have considered getting another one with them, this is the 3rd alternator from them in 4yrs. Yeah, they WILL replace it with another rebuilt but whats the point when you have to tear the car apart again, to reinstall one.

I was considering buying a NEW one from Rock Auto...but its an online deal. The price is cheaper than anyone, and its a TYC OE Manufacturer Hitach.

NEW?

I don't know...the problem is if it doesn't work, i have to send it back and my mechanic will have the car all apart...is it worth it to save $70 bucks?
??

What say you???

I got this one off ebay a couple weeks ago:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-1999-2...oAAOSw2gxYzXy7

Seemed like a good deal (even though it's reconditioned not brand new) and is Hitachi as well.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by chop_sooie
I got this one off ebay a couple weeks ago:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-1999-2...oAAOSw2gxYzXy7

Seemed like a good deal (even though it's reconditioned not brand new) and is Hitachi as well.
No Core Charge ???

How much was the shipping to your house?

FREE SHIPPING???? (seems to good of a deal)???
Old 05-30-2019, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FlaMark
No Core Charge ???

How much was the shipping to your house?

FREE SHIPPING???? (seems to good of a deal)???
Free shipping just like it says.
Installed and works great (once I got the belt tensioned properly!)
Old 05-31-2019, 02:23 AM

A spare is good. But taking yours to a local rebuilder is a good choice you should consider. Give him the $70 and move on. I've had good results with my rebuilder.

I don't see any great results for your situation unless you have it rebuilt by someone who cares.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:06 PM

use dielectric grease when you redo the grounds, it will smush and create seal so no more corrosion.

read the review the remans form parts stores and online all fail. unless you buy an upgraded one but, i have not an upgraded on online.