5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A33 maxima 2nd gear shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 11:00 PM

That tranny was used in everything. Gotta be a supply of parts in OZ somewhere.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:08 PM

there is but i dont want to pay $600+ for a solenoid set. after the price i got quoted from nissan australia at $845 and some transmission re builders between $620- $680. i could probably buy a complete unregistered car for that much lol.. when i see the price i can get it for out of japan @ $305 approx delivered you can understand why i dont want to pay double/triple the price.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:12 PM

I mean go pull one. You're already fluent in noid replacement procedure. Gotta be a Sentra, Altima, Quest, something sitting around for years doing nothing that has a functional pack.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:28 PM

problem pulling a used one is there are 2 types of internal plugs, not sure if it is year related or pot luck on what you get.from what i have read up the A version of the transmission has a longer internal harness but that is easy to confirm by checking the id tag for transaxle model
Old 10-31-2019, 03:05 AM

back on the impex japan website and i managed to find the parts catalog, needed to select cars and then countless times trying to get it to change from russian to english, now the search for the part even though i know the oem number.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:26 AM

Just move to the US and become a slave to Jeff Bezos like the rest of us. So much easier.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:31 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by scotty64
there is a few rostra distributors here but none have replied to emails so far.I use to work for vehicle importers back in the 90's. I know how much used engines and gearboxes cost even today and iknow howmuch they are sold retail here.most cars in wrecking yards are high mileage like my car, not sure how much a used gearbox would cost from wreckers.bribe someone with fosters lol I would get shot, anyone in oz drinks fosters there usually tourists lol. fosters is australian for horse **** lmao.
Rockauto will ship for 12 bucks. $174 USD shipped with 5% off code. Of course, idk if you get hit by the criminals at customs or not.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Rockauto will ship for 12 bucks. $174 USD shipped with 5% off code. Of course, idk if you get hit by the criminals at customs or not.
australian government are all legal criminals lol. everything we buy online now incurs 10% gst regardless of paying taxes for goods in country of origin.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:44 AM
Bad *** Newb

australian government are all legal criminals lol. everything we buy online now incurs 10% gst regardless of paying taxes for goods in country of origin.
I should have known.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
I should have known.
some things do sneak through, this was brought about by some owners of big box retail stores claiming it was too easy for us to buy goods from other countries cheaper. there use to be a $1000 no tax limit but now thats gone. in a nutshell we live in a country where we are heavily taxed on everything and get bugger all in return lol.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:01 AM
Bad *** Newb

some things do sneak through, this was brought about by some owners of big box retail stores claiming it was too easy for us to buy goods from other countries cheaper. there use to be a $1000 no tax limit but now thats gone. in a nutshell we live in a country where we are heavily taxed on everything and get bugger all in return lol.
Gee, if it's cheaper to ship from overseas (and not SE Asia), then maybe the local prices are just too absurd. No, it's your fault and you must be punished.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:47 PM

tried to order through rockauto, they cannot ship to oz because of our governments dumbarse online gst crap. Australia should be renamed uranus because that seems to be what our dumbarse government does, bends us over and inserts something in uranus lol.also having headaches with impex japan, they cannot confirm what plug type.rockauto if was able to ship would have been $252 aud with express shipping in 4 days.

Last edited by scotty64; 11-01-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:12 PM

You need a trustworthy US proxy.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by User1
You need a trustworthy US proxy.
not a proxy issue, as soon as I entered address and plastic details then proceed with order up pops a red pop up saying we cannot ship to your country as we have no processes to collect tax blah blah blah.

Last edited by scotty64; 11-01-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 PM

not a proxy issue, as soon as I entered address and plastic details then proceed with order up pops a red pop up saying we cannot ship to your country as we have processes to collect tax blah blah blah.
By proxy I mean human. A middle man.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:59 PM

Got stuffed around by impex japan, countless emails they could not confirm connector plug type.so they are now off my list for suppliers.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:16 PM

some progress today, contacted transtar and got a reply 3am sydney time this morning with quotes for oem and rostra solenoid packs. oem p/n 31940-85X01 = transtar p/n D83420BA $230.90 USD, rostra p/n 52-9041 = transtar p/n 83420BA $178.61 USD. best info is they do ship to the nanny state i live in.went back to their website, need to apply for a login id which can take up to a few days, also another 4 page form to fill out for accounts. dont need an account just want to make this purchase.some other sites i checked last night in europe, japan, singapore and south east asia where quoting up to 5 weeks delivery i could build a car in less time than that lol,some suppliers in japan quoted up to $305 USD. shame i could not get the part from rockauto, it would have been here in 4 days if i paid for the express shipping. rockauto's price is the same as transtar but a much easier process for online ordering. hopefully within a few days i get a login id and i can blow some money lol.i looked at nissandeal and they wanted close to $400.00 USD for the same stuff, amazing how much the price fluctuates for the same item regardless of what country the solenoid pack is sold in. hopefully what i am going through can assist others in where to get what they need.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:31 AM

If you're OK with used OEM parts, you could try Nisformance. Likely cheaper than the prices you've listed.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by freezer
If you're OK with used OEM parts, you could try Nisformance. Likely cheaper than the prices you've listed.
with electronics when ever possible i like to stick with new, yes its more costly but dont like having to do the same work multiple times, and yes i will be doing this job a second time lol.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:14 PM

progress on my solenoids, bought rostra brand solenoids from transtar in the US. They do sell oem as well, rostra brand are $178 USD, oem are around $230 USD.I paid $72 USD for express international shipping, 3 working days delivery time if no delays.with o/s shipping my cost was $374 AUD, still half price of after market and close to 1/3 of nissan australia quoted price.when searching through various websites place like nissandeal, ifinitydeal and courtesy nissan for oem solenoids they wanted close to 400 USD. if anyone wants oem solenoids i would check out transtar for prices first, the price variation is alot.monday i should have the new solenoids, this time will do a basic power test on them even though they are new( never assume new is always good) wont be till the weekend i will fit them weather permitting as i will be doing 12 hr days all next week. hopefully this will fix my issue if not petrol and a match will resolve it lol.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:51 PM

i think i'm in the same boat but, i've been looking at converting to a infinity i30 locking trans with low miles and rebuilding it but, my GOD the lack of info on the diff!!! no info on if rebuild kits come with the clutch plates for the locking diff. also you need axels and set calipers to measure the seals on the trans because locking and non locking are can NOT be differentiated. also for me, tiny junk yards on banker's hours and no truck is a major set back

FYI i THINK i've seen people take the noids apart and de burr the metal inside and use some kind of punch to bend the metal/tabs back over to close them back up.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:09 PM

i havent done anything in regards to fitting the solenoids over the past week as i have been knocked on my **** with a virus that has had been almost confined to bed for the last 7 days. today is the day i have not had my temp floating around 39c. thanks to the great service from transtar industries i have had my new rostra branded solenoids on hand.once i get a bit more mobility going and can move about i should be onto it within the next few days. for anyone needing rebuild info on the RE4F04B transmission i stumbled across the web page. i am sure there is quiet alot of good info in, link is http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...gs/RE4F04B.pdf
i had a browse through it had a reasonable amount of good info for those who do rebuild transmissions of for those people who want to tinker with their own.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
i think i'm in the same boat but, i've been looking at converting to a infinity i30 locking trans with low miles and rebuilding it but, my GOD the lack of info on the diff!!! no info on if rebuild kits come with the clutch plates for the locking diff. also you need axels and set calipers to measure the seals on the trans because locking and non locking are can NOT be differentiated. also for me, tiny junk yards on banker's hours and no truck is a major set back

FYI i THINK i've seen people take the noids apart and de burr the metal inside and use some kind of punch to bend the metal/tabs back over to close them back up.
all transmission rebuild/overhaul kits i have seen are for the box only not the diff.if you have the V version of the RE4F04A/B/V tranmission you may need to buy a diff kit.
as for deburring solenoids i think that is for the AW55 transmission in J31 maxima,s onwards as the solenoids are completely different and do have a variety of repair kits available for them.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:20 PM

here is another link to transmission rebuild info https://www.parker.com/literature/Se..._%20JF403E.pdf
Old 11-18-2019, 09:22 AM

That tranny was used in everything. Gotta be a supply of parts in OZ somewhere.
I'd be interested to hear in what. in the US some mercury/ford car and maybe one other. at least that is all i found listed in the tranny rebuild manual.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:40 PM

finally got the brand new rostra branded solenoid pack into this POS. still not shifting into 2nd gear, only driven it a couple of km's but should have been fixed.must be another issue somewhere, this car I have is the bastard change over model where there is a great deal of A32 parts in it.I have found another sensor on the bellhousing mostly obscured by the oxygen sensor harness.no time today to check that out to see what it is supposed to do and has that failed, sensor is a square type body,nothing like the speed sensor on the other side of the transmission.what ever the problem is its doing my head in, I rarely give up until I find the fault but right now petrol and a match is looking good to resolve this.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Bad *** Newb

Old 11-21-2019, 08:51 PM

Blow it up with ANNMAL and a 5.56 round. 10lbs would do the trick. I put 3lbs in a toilet in the desert and created a visible shockwave. I have video.

All fun aside, I'm at a loss. I'd offer to drop by and take a look but I'd probably get eaten by whites on the swim over.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:03 AM

i'm done ****ing around with this, monday it will go to a mechanic to see what is screwed with this transmission.only things buzzing in my head atm is maybe the tcm is screwed but i have nothing to test it with.the square ugly looking sensor i spotted on the bellhousing on the radiator side has got me puzzled.spent hours searching for what this **** is, so far nothing not even on A32 transmissions i have found online. it has 1 single 10mm head bolt holding it on the edge of the bellhousing with the usual nissan push in green terminal that always breaks connected to it, only thing i can think of is maybe its for the torque converter lock out? been reading other threads here in 4th gen section people stating that the MAF sensor has crapped itself and that it created transmission shifting issues, not sure how that works out although the throttle position sensor has a part in it that has something to do with shift timing hence the 2 plugs connected to it.i doubt there are any relays for the shift solenoids as tracing the harness its not too long and has another connector just above the transmission underneath the airbox. will check for corrosion in that plug tomorrow if its not raining, also going to change front engine mount as its got a small tear in it.almost like writing a small novel again lol.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:09 AM

Isn't that your crank sensor?
Old 11-22-2019, 02:19 AM

crank sensor is on the timing case just underneath the front pulley, got me baffled what this sensor is and what it does.this is what i hate about having the change over model, always a basket case of previous and new model parts.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:30 AM

Nah, it's your crank sensor.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:34 AM

it sits parallel to the torque converter, not near the engine block, i will take a happy snap of it tomorrow
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 AM

Right where the signal plate is bolted up eh?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:07 AM
Bad *** Newb

rev sensor should cause issues shifting in all gears or do nothing with tach not working

This doesn't make much sense being specific to only 2nd. I think it's TCM swap time to see.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:14 PM

tacho works fine so does the speedo.in all the vids I have seen there are 2 sensors that look exactly the same located near the driveshaft, on my transmission I can only locate 1, A32's have a sensor near the starter motor, on mine there is nothing there. if there were 2 identical sensors it would make it easy as basically 1 sensor is signal in and the other is signal out.except for tcm only other thing I can think of is 2nd gear clutch pack has failed but I had no gear change slipage or any other tell tale signs of clutch pack failure.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Bad *** Newb

tacho works fine so does the speedo.in all the vids I have seen there are 2 sensors that look exactly the same located near the driveshaft, on my transmission I can only locate 1, A32's have a sensor near the starter motor, on mine there is nothing there. if there were 2 identical sensors it would make it easy as basically 1 sensor is signal in and the other is signal out.except for tcm only other thing I can think of is 2nd gear clutch pack has failed but I had no gear change slipage or any other tell tale signs of clutch pack failure.
2001s (or most of them) only have the single sensor in the US. Looks like you got that change early over there....
Old 11-22-2019, 04:19 PM

a US parts store i think was A1 auto parts has a vid where they change the speed sensor and the input sensor, both are close to each other located near the driveshaft.not sure on the year model that they had on the vid.i have seen vids and read in various forums and chat sites about changing the turbine sensor, i am guessing its the same as the speed sensor as i cannot locate any other sensors on my transmission except for the one located behind the oxygen senor harness.in general this model is reasonably easy to work on if you understand the basic fundamentals of how a car works,just alot of sensors to go through to eliminate faults. this transmission issue is the only major head spin i have had with this car, just gets frustrating when i cant nail the issue.i almost succeeded in removing the solenoid pack without dropping the valvebody, the single sensor that sits near the shift mechanism cannot be removed as the bolt at the top is blocked by the internal shift linkage that runs through the box, i have flexible extensions and low profile sockets and ratchet but just cant get around that linkage.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:10 PM

i stand corrected finally found a drawing from autozone and one in germany so many hours searching for it,next time i will just go with what you say.but i always like to research stuff, probably too much of a stubborn ****.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:16 PM

You need an FSM, bro

I'm pretty familiar with the sensors under my hood, I did a complete engine harness restoration with my engine swap earlier this year. You are RE4F04B. Same thing I got. Don't matter what year you are. I had the 0720 code a few months back and replaced both my speed and turbine sensors. Problem solved. You have both of these sensors as well. I don't think either of the above sensors (both of which are the same part number, and can be found brand new OEM on ebay for about $40 bucks each) are contributing to your problem. Aside from some mechanical anomaly, I'm with child and the TCM. The problem for me is, if the TCM resolves your issue, then it is secondary to something else, and you're still at square one, granted with some borrowed time. If you're like me, and buy things like paper towels or a single bolt on ebay, TCM modules are going for around $35. Is there any way you can get video while reproducing the issue?

Trans sensors I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31935-8E006...72.m2749.l2649

Quick query on ebau.au produced a ton of results. The sensors are the same and used in everything from Sentras to Quests and everything Nissan inbetween.

Quick Reply: A33 maxima 2nd gear shifting issues